1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Trek 3700 disc or Diamonback Response (disc)

I am new to mountain biking and am looking at the two subject bikes. I will be doing mostly on road (65-70%), but plan to do some light duty gravel trails and off-road. No racing or heavy duty/hardcore stuff. I probably won't be upgrading the hardware. I just need some help making a decision! The bikes have the following specs/prices and prices:

Trek 3700 Disc - 2011 Model - $449
    Will be purchased at LBS and includes lifetime adjustments.
    SR Suntour XCT 80mm fork
    Shimano M131, 42/34/24 crank
    Cassette
    Shimano EF51 7 Speed shifters
    Shimano TX50 front derailleur
    Shimano M310 rear derailleur
    Shimano TZ31 13-34, 7 speed rear cogs
    Tektro Novela Discs
    Shimano EF51 brake levers
    Bontrager 550 36 hole rims with brushed sidewalls
    Bontrager LT3, 26x2.0" tires
    Wellgo nylon platform pedals

Diamondback Response - not sure what year - $320 online
    SR Suntour XCT V2-LO, 100mm travel forks
    Not sure of the crank, 42/32/22
    Cartridge
    SRAM SX-3 Trigger, 7-speed shifters
    Microshift M-20 front derailleur
    SRAM X-3 rear derailleur
    SRAM PG-730, 12-32, 7-speed rear cogs
    Tektro Novela Disc
    Promax 3 brake levers
    32h Weinmann XC260, Double-wall rims
    Kenda Klaw XT, 26x2.1 tires
    DB platform pedals

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Also, another consideration... I'm 6'-1" and 180lbs with a 35" inseam. The Response only comes in a 20" frame and I can get the Trek in a 21" or a 22.5"...

mtbr member
    I am similarly built but about 20 lbs more. I was looking really hard at the same model Trek, however after visiting bike stores, I found that I fit the Trek 19.5 frame pretty well, but liked another bike better. I ultimately decided that I am to purchase a Cannondale F8 for $419 (large frame, not sure of dimensions). I chose it because of 1) price 2) Features 3) the shop. it seemed to be a better deal all around.

One thing to consider though is where you purchase the bike. You may get it cheaper online, but you will probably want it set up by a local store. Also, over the next year you may want service done on it. Every store we went to offered up discounts on gear and service on the bike. You won't get that buying online.

Another thing would be how the bike feels. You really need to ride one and see how it feels.

Salsa!
    Skrap.. you were on a Trek 19, Specialized 19.5, and the Cannondale wound up being an 18.7

My spelling is atroshus
    IMO.......I would go for the Trek over the Diamondback Response. I have a DB Response and it has been a miserable bike to own, with constant need of having the wheels retrued, and having the bottom bracket come loose. I only keep it around as a beater for friends to ride when they come for a visit.

Edit: My DB was a Dick's Sporting Goods bike, and came with cheaper components than a regular DB Response. I got little to no support from Dick's when things started going wrong. Still, I can't bare to get rid of it, as it was my first bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassafrass
    Skrap.. you were on a Trek 19, Specialized 19.5, and the Cannondale wound up being an 18.7
    Lol thanks, I'm glad someone was paying attention

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i too was looking at the trek 3700 and wound up on a felt q520.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the responses, appreciate the feedback! The convenience and tuning of an LBS are definitely an advantage, especially considering it's less than 2 miles away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Also, see if you can get a 2010 model at your LBS. They might cut you a deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a DB response sport from 2009. The fork sucks, but other than that, ive been really happy with it. Just dropped my front big and small ring and went with a bashwhich, net up are clipless pedals

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by cummins_powered
    I have a DB response sport from 2009. The fork sucks, but other than that, ive been really happy with it. Just dropped my front big and small ring and went with a bashwhich, net up are clipless pedals
    I'm glad yours is hanging in there. When I had nothing else, the DB was my gateway drug into MTB. I am probably going to install another crank on mine because the suntour bottom bracket keeps coming loose. My LBS said they coiuld convert it to a decent outside bearing crank for about $150. Wow, I only paid $300 for the whole bike.

mtbr member
    I've had no issues with my DB so far and feel it fits me well and better then the other bikes I tested at the LBS. The frame seemed beefier aswell and to me that ment alot being I'm new and this bike will go threw hell as I learn.
    Teach me the way..

Master of Disaster
    2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc from Performance is the best deal going with the following discount codes valid through November 23rd, 2010:

735: Extra 15% off any single item
    736: Extra 10% off your entire order

Look at the component specs, look at the weight, look at the price. Both bikes you listed have some seriously crap components for the money - don't be a chump.

2011 Trek 3700 Disc - $449
    Fork: Suntour XCT 80mm (non-hydraulic, dampened by seal drag alone)
    Shifters: Shimano EF51 (department store type)
    Crank: Shimano M131 (non-interchangeable triple chain rings - welded together and pressed on)
    Cassette: 7-speed
    Handlebars: Steel, 24.5mm

2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc - $381 (after 15% off)
    Fork: Suntour XCM 100mm (hydraulic with Speed-Lock)
    Shifters: Shimano Rapidfire (Deore style)
    Crank: Suntour XCT-302 (with interchangeable rings)
    Cassette: 8-speed
    Handlebars: Alloy, 31.8mm

Help - Buying a new bike
    Help - Buying a new bike

eine meine minne mo
    eine meine minne mo

$500 to spend on a new bike... what do I choose?
    Last edited by Clones123; 10-19-2010 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc from Performance is the best deal going with the following discount codes valid through November 23rd, 2010:

735: Extra 15% off any single item
    736: Extra 10% off your entire order

Look at the component specs, look at the weight, look at the price. Both bikes you listed have some seriously crap components for the money - don't be a chump.

Help - Buying a new bike
    Help - Buying a new bike

eine meine minne mo
    eine meine minne mo

Thanks for the info! The 2010 GT Avalanche is compelling...

too cold to ride
    I don't usually recommend DB, but for the light use riding you'll be doing, it'll do the job.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.