1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek 3700 for 135.00 should I be worried

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and look forward to many others as I attempt to get into mountain biking. I'm from Utah and growing up spent a lot of time mountain biking as well as took a trip down to moab, Ut every year to do some of those trails (I always just rented a bike for these trips).

Now as an adult I am trying to get back into it. I went to a couple shops and found that bikes around the 550 range felt perfect for what I wanted which is city commuting to light/medium trail riding. After watching the local classifieds I found a trek 3700 charcoal black from 2009 for sale for 135 bucks. I am going this afternoon to check it out and have been told it is ready to ride. Being a complete noob should I when trying the bike out look for anything that would make them want to sell it this low?

Also is it common to see this bike being sold at this price. The picture look like it has been used but it good condition.

Any information about this bike and things I should look at when looking at the bike would be very appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I should also mention I am a huge guitar player and in the world of used guitar purchases when something is a really good deal it usually means the guitar is a fake. Not sure if this same thought process applies to bikes and if they are often faked or what....Hope I am not overly showing what a noob I am haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bike blue book is a site to check used prices. That looks like a v-brake bike 380 new list 165 current value.
    Look closely at the tooth profile on the front rings and the rear cogs. Sometimes the most used ones will show more wear than the small ones. Replacement can cost. Ride it to see how things work. Spin the crank with the wheel and chain out of the loop to feel for bb bearing condition. Look for tire rot and rust.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thank you very much