1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: trails

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

trails

I havent been on many trails since i got into the sport. I am thinking of going to my local trails and riding them for a bit. but im a bit scared(im only 12) because i havent been on the trails. is it ok to be a bit scared when conquering one of your first trails

mtbr member
    Ofcourse it is, fear is what keeps you from doing crazy stuff...well it tells you not to, but sometimes you choose to ignore it

Do something that you are confident that you can handle than work your way up in difficulty, when you become more confident in your skills you may find yourself more likely to attempt new things.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

Flying Goat
    of course it's normal to be scared... you're always gonna be scared... it's just what you are scared of which changes. Today, you're scared of riding a trail. Next week you'll be thinking of doing some rocks. Then the weekafter some stepdowns. Then tables. Then gaps. Then doubles... it never ends... Just keep at it... It's only hard til it get's easy...