1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rogue Exterminator

Trail etiquette question.

Say you are riding on a trail that has a suggested route (not a one way trail but just a trail that suggests you go a certain direction so 90% of the riders do just that). Now you are going the suggested direction hitting some sweet down hill single track and here comes Joe Gnar deciding he wants to shred against the grain and is currently climbing the wrong way.

If it is a one way trail, the guy going the wrong way is breaking the rules so I say fvck'em and knock them over. However in this case, it isn't really against the rules but it also isn't the norm.

So the question is, Who yields?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

A one way trail means just that, never seen any 'suggestion' trails where I ride...

Riders down here yield,, we all seem to be nicer, never seen one want to Knock one off.

Up hill riders have the right of way simply because if they stop they have a hard time starting UP ,,, the hill.... Duh !

Down hill riders can re start easy as pie..

Of course I ain't no dummy,, If I see a mach 2 missle headed my way I will yield.....

Commonsense is needed, not testosterone, Wrong way riders need guidance.

Rogue Exterminator
    No testosterone problems here. I wouldn't really knock anyone over and I would have thought the "" would have mad it obvious that I was joking. Anyways, thanks for explaining the rules I already know.

That all being said, we do have trails near by with suggested routes.
    Pretty famous trails too (Tsali).

mtbr member
    Never yield, it is a sign of weakness

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

hehe I need to turn that into a shirt or something and wear it whenever I ride

Rogue Exterminator

Awe no dude, you need to release some of that testosterone.

Masturbate 3x before you ride.

mtbr member
    Uphill gives way (common sense here) if a guys flying down the hill he needs greater stopping distance... if I'm heading up hill I need very little ^^ Just makes sense
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    The purpose for uphill cyclists and pedestrians having right of way is safer passing speeds, not preserving uphill momentum. Uphill restarts is an issue they don't give a rat's ass about. They care about not being sued for injury and death.

Uphill giving right of way is common sense only when one considers momentum a priority over safety. Yes, it takes more distance to stop on a downgrade, but another bit of common sense (and rule in most areas) dictates that we maintain a speed that is conducive to a safe environment for all users of the trail. You are supposed to reduce your speed to match the distance you can see down the trail. If you hit someone, whether they be standing in the middle of the trail on a blind curve or whatever, the fault will be yours. Sure, they made an UNSAFE decision to stand on the trail, but you made and UNSAFE decision to ride faster than the amount of trail that was in your vision, and you were the one in motion.

Yes, it sucks, but as long as we expect others to provide rideable space, we need to be responsible and follow the common sense rules that make the trails safe for everyone. If you run over a hiker that's on a one-way bikes only trail, then maybe you've got a case, but for most of the MUP trails, you're breaking the rules when you're bombing those curvy decents, and are expecting others to do so as well when you believe that downhillers should EVER have right of way.

Ride safe, everyone rides tomorrow.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    The rider going downhill always yields. I've ridden trails with "suggested" directions before, and they are just that, suggestions. But even on trails with a direction that is "written in stone", it is common courtesy to yield to the bone head grinding up the hill, even though he/she isn't supposed to be. And I disagree with Flamingtaco. While the primary reason for yielding right of way to uphill riders now days is a safety concern, the original reasons were uphill momentum and restart on an uphill grade. It was and is still simply MUCH easier for the downhill rider to get started again. But I do agree as the capabilities of bikes have increased along with trail speeds, safety has become a significant factor as well.

The rules of trail etiquette may not make sense on the surface, but they do when you think about it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Awe no dude, you need to release some of that testosterone.

Masturbate 3x before you ride.

Way ahead of you bro, and twice afterwards for good measure.

I also have a bumper sticker on my seat bag that says "If you can read this I just ran over you". Stole that one from Bender.

Brakes are for chumps.

Fishing/ Biking

Re: Trail etiquette question.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    The purpose for uphill cyclists and pedestrians having right of way is safer passing speeds, not preserving uphill momentum. Uphill restarts is an issue they don't give a rat's ass about. They care about not being sued for injury and death.

Uphill giving right of way is common sense only when one considers momentum a priority over safety. Yes, it takes more distance to stop on a downgrade, but another bit of common sense (and rule in most areas) dictates that we maintain a speed that is conducive to a safe environment for all users of the trail. You are supposed to reduce your speed to match the distance you can see down the trail. If you hit someone, whether they be standing in the middle of the trail on a blind curve or whatever, the fault will be yours. Sure, they made an UNSAFE decision to stand on the trail, but you made and UNSAFE decision to ride faster than the amount of trail that was in your vision, and you were the one in motion.

Yes, it sucks, but as long as we expect others to provide rideable space, we need to be responsible and follow the common sense rules that make the trails safe for everyone. If you run over a hiker that's on a one-way bikes only trail, then maybe you've got a case, but for most of the MUP trails, you're breaking the rules when you're bombing those curvy decents, and are expecting others to do so as well when you believe that downhillers should EVER have right of way.

Ride safe, everyone rides tomorrow.
    I love a good speedy downhill, but I think this sums it up very well. Nicely said.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    The rider going downhill always yields. I've ridden trails with "suggested" directions before, and they are just that, suggestions. But even on trails with a direction that is "written in stone", it is common courtesy to yield to the bone head grinding up the hill, even though he/she isn't supposed to be. And I disagree with Flamingtaco. While the primary reason for yielding right of way to uphill riders now days is a safety concern, the original reasons were uphill momentum and restart on an uphill grade. It was and is still simply MUCH easier for the downhill rider to get started again. But I do agree as the capabilities of bikes have increased along with trail speeds, safety has become a significant factor as well.

The rules of trail etiquette may not make sense on the surface, but they do when you think about it.

Good Dirt
    Thank you for I think being the only one that actually understood the question.... well, except for J.B. Weld, I think he understood the question but just isn't yielding for anyone.

Way ahead of you bro, and twice afterwards for good measure.

I also have a bumper sticker on my seat bag that says "If you can read this I just ran over you". Stole that one from Bender.

Brakes are for chumps.
    When you master masturbating while riding then you will be the sensei master.....bater.

mtbr member
    I always give way... riding up/down doesn't matter.

But, I've come across downhill riders that clearly had no intention of pulling over... Why do I always give way?

Coz, I don't wanna get hurt/or hurt anyone else...

Plus I'm a gentleman and a scholar ^^
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

Ride Responsibly
    "So the question is, Who yields? "
    You both yield.

mtbr member
    4500 posts and you don't know the answer to this question?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    4500 posts and you don't know the answer to this question?
    672 posts and you waste one saying that.

(FYI, maybe I know the answer but want to see what others say without influence. No run along and let the grown folks play)

mtbr member
    I guess if there is a direction either posted, or in general known to be correct on a true singletrack trail, what would posses you as an individual to go against the grain? Your little bit of extra percieved happiness at the cost of everyone elses seems a selfish dick like move... In a sport that unfortunately suffers some from a pretty unerned bad reputation, why would it not be the first thought of every rider to be as curteous as possible to all trail users, even and most importantly to our fellow mountain bikers?

mtbr member
    No way I'm stopping on a climb. When I'm heading downhill and others are climbing, I yield to them.
    If you can't stop in a reasonable distance while going downhill , you're out of control.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
    I guess if there is a direction either posted, or in general known to be correct on a true singletrack trail, what would posses you as an individual to go against the grain? Your little bit of extra percieved happiness at the cost of everyone elses seems a selfish dick like move... In a sport that unfortunately suffers some from a pretty unerned bad reputation, why would it not be the first thought of every rider to be as curteous as possible to all trail users, even and most importantly to our fellow mountain bikers?
    If it is a one way trail I say you are a dick for going the wrong way.

If it is a suggested route, I say no big deal during the week when you are highly unlikely to run in to other users (at least at this trail system) but on weekends when there are many users, I say go the right way.

I would certainly understand though why a local would like to occasionally go the other way to change things up a little.

And yes, Tsali is true single track. Very narrow in some places and difficult to get two bikes by each other.

I love Pisgah
    I live next door to Tsali and ride it almost daily. And in doing so, I ride each and every trail there(but 1*) both directions, swapping it up pretty much daily. For the record, Tsali's main trails have absolutely no posted direction. Zero. Nada. Nothing. There IS one or 2 "suggested route" signs. But don't ever EVER count on those.

*There is ONE short trail there that is marked directional, and thats the Mouse lookout loop. Thats its tho. Period.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Rogue Exterminator
    Yes, I know which is why I said "suggested" and not "one way".
    I know "suggested" isn't set in stone.

I don't ride there a lot but I am not far. I live between DuPont and Pisgah.

I love Pisgah
    Just stating for the record is all. Almost daily I see riders there saying .."isn't this one-way?"..as I meet them head on. No. Its not.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Just stating for the record is all. Almost daily I see riders there saying .."isn't this one-way?"..as I meet them head on. No. Its not.
    Yeah, never thought or said it was one way but thanks clearing it up anyways.

mtbr member
    Ohh my comments were not directed at anyone in particular, just as a general guidline. I am fortunate to live by an amazing trail system that is very well marked and one way, with separate hiking paths that at times intersect the bike only paths. No horses, no dogs, and no elitist hikers.... deer, turkey, squirrels but those are harder to hit. And they are impeccably maintained, Lebanon Hills come enjoy biking nirvana.

Rogue Exterminator
    Sounds nice and maybe I will come bike them next time I am up there. My family is from the Twin Cities area so I am up there occasionally but usually not to bike. Until then, I will just have to make do with Pisgah National Forrest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast