1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Total newb here ...

Ok so I bought the hyper havoc 26" from good ol wally world and originally was just going to be a way to spend time with my son and we have beat down some miles on our bikes this summer for sure. It takes a little bit of beating due to my size, and I'm not scared to jump curbs and hop over parking blocks and ride down stairs and anything else I can claim to be cool to get the boy to be more outgoing. In the mean time it has sparked my inner athlete lol. So now I'm debating hitting my first trail ride with a buddy both us pretty new at this riding business.

What I'm getting at is whether or not this bike is worth upgrading or should I ride and learn and beat this thing to death and get a "good" bike? I guess for information sake I'll include that I am 6'4" 240lbs about 15% body fat. i am in the gym everyday but I also don't limit my food intake lol I workout so I can be good at work and so I can eat ha. Anyways what say you...here's a pic ....oh and please don't flame me too bad I'm very new at all this

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I peronally would beat it to death while saving for a decent pre-owned rig.

Good on you for getting out riding with the boy; I have a lot of great times with mine riding bikes (except when he's showing me up, which is pretty much all the time now). Have fun!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Not worth upgrading. Just keep riding it. Go to some demo days and see what else is out there.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    not to be dismissive, but similar question come up on this forum often- should I upgrade a "big box store" bike? the answer almost always ends up being NO! upgrading that bike will probably cost more than buying a decent modern bike and you will end up with a poor-handling Frankenbike. you will need to replace every single part on that bike to make it perform the way you want it to.

a few curmudgeons will try to convince you that the extra money you spend on a nicer bike is not worth it, but most of us know that is generally is. there's a horrendous markup on bicycle parts, but there is a significant difference between something that was designed to be ridden in harsh conditions for thousands of miles, and something designed to look cool and be a casual toy for people who don't know any better.

I am surprised that your hyper is holding up. it is certainly too small for you- the frames of bike in that price range are designed with a one-size-fits-all mentality, and you are taller than the average man by quite a bit. when you ride a bike that was designed for a person of your height, you will know the difference.

also, at your weight, not saying your fat, that bike is under a lot of stress. riding trails and bombing down stairs were never intended for this bike, even for a 125 teenager, let alone a big guy like you. those bikes are often made with really cheap parts and rarely assembled correctly by a competent bicycle mechanic, so parts can come loose and even fall off while you are riding. listen for creaks and look for damage on the bike. if it starts to go, it will fail catastrophically when it does. I hope you have good dental insurance.

bikes are kind of expensive. if you are really in love with the full-suspension design (who wouldn't be?), you are going to have to spend $2000 or more on a decent new bike. there are deals to be had out there, but new, current-model bikes usually fall in that price range. expect to pay around half that for a decent hard tail.

I cannot condone riding it "to death" until you buy another bike. in some cases, like someone who has a nice, older bike they might upgrade, that would be a good idea. the quality of that bike combined with your size could be a recipe for disaster and a trip to the ER.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Not worth upgrading. Just keep riding it. Go to some demo days and see what else is out there.
    Second that! Just keep riding it OP, oh and welcome to the forum

mtbr member

Re: Total newb here ...

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    not to be dismissive, but similar question come up on this forum often- should I upgrade a "big box store" bike? the answer almost always ends up being NO! upgrading that bike will probably cost more than buying a decent modern bike and you will end up with a poor-handling Frankenbike. you will need to replace every single part on that bike to make it perform the way you want it to.

a few curmudgeons will try to convince you that the extra money you spend on a nicer bike is not worth it, but most of us know that is generally is. there's a horrendous markup on bicycle parts, but there is a significant difference between something that was designed to be ridden in harsh conditions for thousands of miles, and something designed to look cool and be a casual toy for people who don't know any better.

I am surprised that your hyper is holding up. it is certainly too small for you- the frames of bike in that price range are designed with a one side fits all mentality, and you are taller than the average man by quite a bit. when you ride a bike that was designed for a person of your height, you will know the difference.

also, at your weight, not saying your fat, that bike is under a lot of stress. riding trails and bombing down stairs were never intended for this bike, even for a 125 teenager, let alone a big guy like you. those bikes are often made with really cheap parts and rarely assembled correctly by a competent bicycle mechanic, so parts can come loose and even fall off while you are riding. listen for creaks and look for damage on the bike. if it starts to go, it will fail catastrophically when it does. I hope you have good dental insurance.

bikes are kind of expensive. if you are really in love with the full-suspension design (who wouldn't be?), you are going to have to spend $2000 or more on a decent new bike. there are deals to be had out there, but new, current-model bikes usually fall in that price range. expect to pay around half that for a decent hard tail.

I cannot condone riding it "to death" until you buy another bike. in some cases, like someone who has a nice, older bike they might upgrade, that would be a good idea. the quality of that bike combined with your size could be a recipe for disaster and a trip to the ER.
    Thanks mack! And everybody else! For the quick informative response. I had pretty much guessed that the general condenses would be to upgrade a while different bike I just thought I would see what everybody thought.