1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Tora SL vs Recon SL Solo Air?

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Rockshox Judy Race 2000 to a more modern fork for XC use, because I hear that new forks with their adjustments give life to old bikes

I found a Tora S-Lite (OE version of an SL, similar to 302 as I read) for $50 on craigslist, and a Recon SL solo air 80mm travel for $105+$11 shipping (will go up of course) on eBay, which will end in a few hours.

I was considering upgrading the Tora S-Lite with a Motion Control damper for another $50 or so. I am also very light at 130 lbs, so maybe I need to upgrade the spring to an air spring too? Otherwise, how well would the stock spring work for me?

My question is how do the Tora S-Lite and Recon SL compare?

mtbr member
    The recon is a step above the Tora. The Tora is an entry level fork and it really isn't all that great.

An air fork will have better adjustability for your weight, and it will also be a bit lighter than the coil tora.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I hear that the Recon is higher up Rockshox's line than the Tora, too. But I also hear that the Recon Silver TK replaced a certain Tora model. So that sort of confuses me. What's so good about the Recon SL? Is the damping better on any Recon than a Tora (Motion Control considered)?

Any Tora is a great budget fork, is it not?

mtbr member
    Sram changes the Letters and suffixes of their forks whenever they change something on them. The SL is older but still a good fork and still above the tora. The tora and dart forks were replaced by the xc28,30,32 forks.

I believe that the Recon SL has aluminum upper tubes and crown with magnesium lowers. Which makes it much lighter than the lower end recon or tora for that matter.

Having an air fork will mean you can adjust the preload to a level that is more suited for your weight. With a coil fork you have to replace the spring(not hard to do) but they usually only have a couple different springs.

I wouldnt really consider the Tora to be an much of an upgrade, but it is still probably better than a worn out judy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What weight are stock coils typically suited for? If I can get a cheap coil fork that suits my weight, I will. I'm not worried much about fork weight because I am light and my bike is plenty light enough already for my needs.

If I am to go for the Tora S-Lite (the Recon SL solo air bid ended at $138 plus shipping... decent price, but last month I saw a more or less $100 Reba and I am about to start school so I decided not to strain my budget), I can buy a Motion Control unit and end up with a MoCo Tora S-Lite for less than $100. How would that stack up against Tora 318's and Recons, besides the weight?