1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Topgun vs. Zoom fork

Hi Everyone,

Decided to give a generic electric bike a new home today. When I say generic, I mean this e-bike is extremely generic... not much info online. The brand is Progear and the model is Metro E80... good luck if you find any info on it.

Anyway, I want to change the front fork because what I have on there now is on the low end of the quality scales. The bike currently has a "Topgun" 26" suspension fork. I think it might be 63mm travel as I measured the axle to crown and it's like 430mm or thereabouts. Currently doesn't bottom out but it's "soft" for my liking and lacks adjustments.

Now being the e-bike fanatic I am, I have another e-bike, an expensive $2500 eZee Sprint which uses a ZOOM CH-141 fork. Also 430mm axle to crown and has adjustment for both "legs". Comparing this fork with my Suntour XCT on a mountain bike, it's pretty low end... doesn't bottom out but pogo stick like even compared to a low grade suntour.

Because my fantastic generic e-bike uses old technology... it has a 1" threaded headset. Shame not 1 1/8", but the old 1" so it's made it really hard to find anything decent.

Anyway, the store that sold my Sprint has the 1" threaded CH-141 Zoom fork in stock with the same steerer tube length as the Topgun.

Would there be any improvement over the Top Gun fork? Or should I just not bother and leave it as is?

Bike will be used around the city environment on hard pavement - no offroading at all.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would say both of those forks are garbage and you would be better off on a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I would say both of those forks are garbage and you would be better off on a rigid fork.
    I was looking into that just now. I just saw a Kona P2 from bikeman with a 1" threadless steerer and 410mm axle to crown.

Yay or nay?

I'll need a new threadless 1" headset, hard to find 1" spacers and also a hard to find 1" adjustable stem...

I have a surly 1x1 rigid on my Giant and I love it. Light and nimble, total control over the front end as it's firm and responsive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi everyone,

Did some more research and managed to track down RST Gila T fork with 80mm travel and 1" threaded steerer 200mm in length for $80!

Very cheap in my opinion.

Axle to crown with RST Gila is 460mm. Stock top gun fork A-C is 435mm or thereabouts. If I put the RST fork with a 25mm longer axle to crown, does that mean my steering is more responsive and sporty?

Any other issues I should be aware of with a 25mm longer axle to crown? Will my frame crack or anything? It's a step through bike...

Thanks.