1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Top 3 Brands???

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    44

    Top 3 Brands???

    Just curious as to what are the "Top 3 Brands" on the market, I'm new to the bike game so I was curious. The biggest/ most popular LBS in my area carries Cannondale,Giant, Specialized. I figured since this LBS is the Top Dog around here that those were the Top 3, but I also know Trek is another Good Brand. Sorry this post is kinda lame lol

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,661
    If you go by sales numbers, Trek, Specilaized and Giant are the big 3 for LBS sales. If you want to go "all" bikes sold, then Pacific actually sells more bikes in the US than anybody else when you include all of their name plates.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  3. #3
    InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    Reputation: FroggyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    63
    well Cannondale as well as GT is now also owned by Doral industries... which is Pacific cycle.... so considering what they did to Mongoose , and schwinn when they bought them I would stay away form C-dale now too ya 4 of the best bike brans out there destroyed by 1 company ....bloody damn sad! especialy Mongoose they used to be the #1 mountain bike in the world..... now... there junk! I owned an Iboc back in the day when they still made real bikes.... lemme tell ya nobody makes a bike of that quality anymore!!!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    well Cannondale as well as GT is now also owned by Doral industries... which is Pacific cycle.... so considering what they did to Mongoose , and schwinn when they bought them I would stay away form C-dale now too ya 4 of the best bike brans out there destroyed by 1 company ....bloody damn sad! especialy Mongoose they used to be the #1 mountain bike in the world..... now... there junk! I owned an Iboc back in the day when they still made real bikes.... lemme tell ya nobody makes a bike of that quality anymore!!!
    Dumb post, C-Dale and GT both have their own separate R&D and aren't made like crap.
    And Mongoose STILL has some badass bike, not the ones in Walmart, of course, your not going to get a quality bike for $100 new anywhere due to the fact your getting bare minimum components that are cheap as hell.
    Mongoose only has the taint to their name due to having very low end bikes sold in big box stores.
    And don't bring up made in china aspect, considering almost all bikes are made or assembled in china or Taiwan.

  5. #5
    InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    Reputation: FroggyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    63
    ---Quote (Originally by FroggyBiker)---
    well Cannondale as well as GT is now also owned by Doral industries... which is Pacific cycle.... so considering what they did to Mongoose , and schwinn when they bought them I would stay away form C-dale now too ya 4 of the best bike brans out there destroyed by 1 company ....bloody damn sad! especialy Mongoose they used to be the #1 mountain bike in the world..... now... there junk! I owned an Iboc back in the day when they still made real bikes.... lemme tell ya nobody makes a bike of that quality anymore!!!
    ---End Quote---
    Dumb post, C-Dale and GT both have their own separate R&D and aren't made like crap.
    And Mongoose STILL has some badass bike, not the ones in Walmart, of course, your not going to get a quality bike for $100 new anywhere due to the fact your getting bare minimum components that are cheap as hell.
    Mongoose only has the taint to their name due to having very low end bikes sold in big box stores.
    And don't bring up made in china aspect, considering almost all bikes are made or assembled in china or Taiwan.
    NO what is Dumb is your response.....1 yes nearly everyone gets there frames made over seas now...yes ,and there ALL junk these days..... they arent interested in making quality anymore...only money2 yes mongoose, c-Dale and gt have there own r&d BUT its under the supervision of Doral industries who Greatly limits them and also makes the frame to there spec....NOT the designers..... so does it matter they do there own r&d NO because there all made in the same place to the same lousy spec...... do some learning before you spout off!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ChrisMc73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    Just curious as to what are the "Top 3 Brands" on the market, I'm new to the bike game so I was curious. The biggest/ most popular LBS in my area carries Cannondale,Giant, Specialized. I figured since this LBS is the Top Dog around here that those were the Top 3, but I also know Trek is another Good Brand. Sorry this post is kinda lame lol
    I don't know if its just my city/state, Oklahoma City, OK, or not, but here you can't have two bike stores within a certain mile radius, that are the same bike dealer. So for instance the bike store I bought my Trek at doesn't have any other stores within (I think) like a 10 or 20 mile radius of it, that sell Trek. So if you go into the 5 local bike stores that are all real close to each other here, they all have 3 different top brands. There are two other shops that sell Trek, but they are outside this radius from the store I bought mine from. One is a downtown shop and the other is a suburb outside OKC.

    The point being, if thats the same in your area, then that could influence what the big top LBS you are going into has to carry. If they are a superstore and have all brands, that is great, but here I can't find a store like that due to these restrictions.

    In my opinion, in general overall popularity (no sales figures), I think its Trek, Giant and Specialized. I love my Trek bike, but I'm starting to drool more and more over some of the more "boutique" type bike companies, such as Niner etc...I actually love Giant and Specialized too, in fact I'm just in bike porn heaven when I look at any of these good brands. There is a bike from just about every company that I would love to have, if I could afford to be a bike collector, lol.
    2011 Trek Fisher Collection X-Caliber
    Looking to upgrade to a Giant, Specialized or Niner.

  7. #7
    InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    Reputation: FroggyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    63
    actualy that is normal everywhere.... the companies dont want shops close to eachother to compete over prices , because they set a minimum price and the shop is not alowed to sell the bike for less...... it also can make getting what you want a real pain in the tookus! because if one dealer does'nt have it oods are you got quite a trip to get to the next one, or just have to order it..... either way it sucks

  8. #8
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    ---Quote (Originally by FroggyBiker)---
    well Cannondale as well as GT is now also owned by Doral industries... which is Pacific cycle.... so considering what they did to Mongoose , and schwinn when they bought them I would stay away form C-dale now too ya 4 of the best bike brans out there destroyed by 1 company ....bloody damn sad! especialy Mongoose they used to be the #1 mountain bike in the world..... now... there junk! I owned an Iboc back in the day when they still made real bikes.... lemme tell ya nobody makes a bike of that quality anymore!!!
    ---End Quote---
    Dumb post, C-Dale and GT both have their own separate R&D and aren't made like crap.
    And Mongoose STILL has some badass bike, not the ones in Walmart, of course, your not going to get a quality bike for $100 new anywhere due to the fact your getting bare minimum components that are cheap as hell.
    Mongoose only has the taint to their name due to having very low end bikes sold in big box stores.
    And don't bring up made in china aspect, considering almost all bikes are made or assembled in china or Taiwan.
    NO what is Dumb is your response.....1 yes nearly everyone gets there frames made over seas now...yes ,and there ALL junk these days..... they arent interested in making quality anymore...only money2 yes mongoose, c-Dale and gt have there own r&d BUT its under the supervision of Doral industries who Greatly limits them and also makes the frame to there spec....NOT the designers..... so does it matter they do there own r&d NO because there all made in the same place to the same lousy spec...... do some learning before you spout off!
    What are you talking about? Mongoose still has some very awesome and impressive bikes, as well as GT. How does Doral limit the RD? Have you looked at what GT and Mongoose have to offer? Have you ridden the I drive or Freedrive bikes?

    Your Right though, I wouldnt touch these bikes

    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...TRL-BootR-Romo

    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...-Teocali-Elite

    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...L-Teocali-Mega

  9. #9
    InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    Reputation: FroggyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    63
    to answer your question...Doral puts alot of limits on what the companies they bought can do..... they also limit the modifications they are alowed to make..... simple its about money.. they are a cheap company who only wants to reap the benefits of the names they bought but and not do the work..... there is not a brand they own they dont destroy.... even GT.... ohhh and just so you know I am a custom bike builder have been for 26 almost 27 years... I keep a close eye on whats going on in the industry..... anytime a companie is bought it goes down the toilet....look at Avid.... the sd5 and 7 have no where near the durability they did pre buyout.... those brakes used to last forever now there lucky to survive a year of pounding before they are shot.... Rock shox same pre buy out they were alot better! there failure rate is worse than ever..... not that it was'nt always pretty high because it was eventualy every companie Doral industries buys will go the way of Mongoose and schwinn....... even the best Mongoose made today is garbage compaired to what they made pre buyout

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    Just curious as to what are the "Top 3 Brands" on the market, I'm new to the bike game so I was curious. The biggest/ most popular LBS in my area carries Cannondale,Giant, Specialized. I figured since this LBS is the Top Dog around here that those were the Top 3, but I also know Trek is another Good Brand. Sorry this post is kinda lame lol
    Out if those four brands you can't go wrong. I'm not a Cannondale fan but they make good stuff.

    Everyone has thier "ours is best because..." rear suspension gizmo, they all work better than most of us can ride. If you like the shop and get a good feel from them you certainly will be abe to find a bike you like from those brands.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    ---Quote (Originally by FroggyBiker)---
    well Cannondale as well as GT is now also owned by Doral industries... which is Pacific cycle.... so considering what they did to Mongoose , and schwinn when they bought them I would stay away form C-dale now too ya 4 of the best bike brans out there destroyed by 1 company ....bloody damn sad! especialy Mongoose they used to be the #1 mountain bike in the world..... now... there junk! I owned an Iboc back in the day when they still made real bikes.... lemme tell ya nobody makes a bike of that quality anymore!!!
    ---End Quote---
    Dumb post, C-Dale and GT both have their own separate R&D and aren't made like crap.
    And Mongoose STILL has some badass bike, not the ones in Walmart, of course, your not going to get a quality bike for $100 new anywhere due to the fact your getting bare minimum components that are cheap as hell.
    Mongoose only has the taint to their name due to having very low end bikes sold in big box stores.
    And don't bring up made in china aspect, considering almost all bikes are made or assembled in china or Taiwan.
    NO what is Dumb is your response.....1 yes nearly everyone gets there frames made over seas now...yes ,and there ALL junk these days..... they arent interested in making quality anymore...only money2 yes mongoose, c-Dale and gt have there own r&d BUT its under the supervision of Doral industries who Greatly limits them and also makes the frame to there spec....NOT the designers..... so does it matter they do there own r&d NO because there all made in the same place to the same lousy spec...... do some learning before you spout off!
    they're, their, there


    how do they work

  12. #12
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    to answer your question...Doral puts alot of limits on what the companies they bought can do..... they also limit the modifications they are alowed to make..... simple its about money.. they are a cheap company who only wants to reap the benefits of the names they bought but and not do the work..... there is not a brand they own they dont destroy.... even GT.... ohhh and just so you know I am a custom bike builder have been for 26 almost 27 years... I keep a close eye on whats going on in the industry..... anytime a companie is bought it goes down the toilet....look at Avid.... the sd5 and 7 have no where near the durability they did pre buyout.... those brakes used to last forever now there lucky to survive a year of pounding before they are shot.... Rock shox same pre buy out they were alot better! there failure rate is worse than ever..... not that it was'nt always pretty high because it was eventualy every companie Doral industries buys will go the way of Mongoose and schwinn....... even the best Mongoose made today is garbage compaired to what they made pre buyout
    According to your profile, Your custom builds consist of you taking a 12 year old frame, and putting a 100 dollar fork on it along with other low end parts. Not much of a custom build.
    You still pointed out specific limits that doral puts on any of the bike companies they own. Not to mention that the same parts that come on the bikes the doral companies make come on other brands as well. You sound like an old timer that looks back on the way things used to be and call it "the good old times".

    Go to Pinkbike, You will fit in great there.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RabEd Ewok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    153
    By me there is two Bike Shoppes literally right across the street from each other. One sells Raleigh, and Specialized, and the other sells Trek. Have not found a store that sells Cannondale yet though. Pretty funny.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    401

    Down with Dorel!!!

    Look at this piece of junk! No wonder Liquigas didnt have a competitive rider in the Tour this year!







    Oh, oh, oh.. Look at this one! No wonder J. Bishop hasn't been competitive in races since he moved from Trek (except that whole Transylvania Epic thing)




    It just makes me SICK!

Similar Threads

  1. Brands within brands..
    By EFMax in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 07:00 AM
  2. What brands should I be looking at?
    By Diehard88 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
  3. Cog Brands
    By GDS in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM
  4. Brands?
    By kann0pena in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 02:38 AM
  5. What other brands?
    By llcamino in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •