1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Tools needed for a FRAME REPLACEMENT

Hi, I'm wondering what tools I would need to replace the frame on a 2005 S Enduro. I might be getting a Medium frame to replace my Small one.

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you're going to replace everything yourself you will need...

- A headset press (a real one or some improvised version)
    - A h-set race removal tool (or be real careful with a chisel and hammer)
    - Bottom bracket removal/installation tool
    - A set of allen wrenches
    - Cable housing cutters would also be helpful
    - A hacksaw (if you need to cut down the steerer tube on your fork)

You could also do just about everything with a set of allen wrenches and have a shop swap the bottom bracket and headset for you. That may be cheaper and easier than buying the tools unless you plan to replace a lot of headsets in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    You could also do just about everything with a set of allen wrenches and have a shop swap the bottom bracket and headset for you. That may be cheaper and easier than buying the tools unless you plan to replace a lot of headsets in the future.
    Agree with this. You should have a pair of cable/housing cutters in the tool box since you should be replacing that stuff once a season or so. But, besides that, you won't often find yourself replacing headsets or bottom brackets. (Then again, I have removed and regreased the bb on my bike twice in the last year to alleviate squeak sounds).

Ant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    (Then again, I have removed and regreased the bb on my bike twice in the last year to alleviate squeak sounds).Ant
    Yeah, a bb tool can be handy in the long run. I've replaced or relubed quite a few bbs over the years. That can definately save you time and money compared to taking it to a shop whenever your bb is creaking or worn out.

I forgot to mention, you may also need a crank puller unless your cranks are the self-extracting type.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thank you for all the info. Would you recommend Park Tool? the company shows up in google in almost every search for the tools you mentioned. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Park makes the best tools, which is why they're a little more expensive.

If you're going to buy bottom bracket tools, keep in mind that different types of bottom brackets require different tools, so purchase the one specific to your crankset.

Last note: if you're swapping parts to a whole different model frame, you may possibly need a new bottom bracket (they come in two widths) and a new front derailleur to fit the seat tube of your new frame (as well as a new seatpost).

Ant.