1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Took apart Manitou Suspension; in a bit of trouble...

I should have known better. I don't know what I'm doing, but I figured if I just did it all in one setting (cleaning) I would recall where all the parts go. Well, with three active kiddos running around, I simply couldn't finish it in one sitting, so hence why I am in a pit of a pickle.

I have a 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin. The front suspension is a 2004 Manitou Axel Comp 100mm w/ TPC lockout. Attached are the parts I have remaining from the assembly. everything else is where it should go. Iím just baffled as to where these last parts should be placed. Can anyone provide a bit of assistance?

I have downloaded the service manual, read through it multiple times, yet it doesnít seem to address these parts exactly.

If the picture is not enough, I will happily provide more to better assist.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took apart Manitou Suspension; in a bit of trouble...-img_20130704_134925_982.jpg  

Last edited by NPeabody; 07-05-2013 at 07:24 PM.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    If you don't get a helpful response, you might try posting in the suspension section.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Picture Unrelated
    Looks like bottom out bumpers in the top left corner of the picture. The bottom right appears to be something important, possibly part of the internals that hold the lowers to the uppers. I haven't taken one of these forks apart, but if it were me I would take the whole thing back apart and lay it out on your bench. Compare each part to the exploded diagram on page 17 of that manual and see if you can work out what you have and what you don't.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First, a big thanks to all that responded, as your information was quite valuable. Next, and perhaps more importantly, I fixed it, and I'm like a kid I'm so giddy!

Took the whole thing apart (about 5 times altogether) and tried to best determine where the parts went from a functional standpoint. Turns out, the two small pieces are bumpers, just as zebra mentioned, followed by the two other pieces that, from what I can surmise, are stoppers of some sort. The washer follows the last piece and rests on the bottom of the left side of the fork.

Took the opportunity to grease everything and do a quick service, so after I put everything back together, it was better than before. That is, until I realized that in my excitement I forgot to place the second "stopper." Dummy.

Alas, after the fifth attempt, I now have my bike back, and I couldn't be happier. See, I'm a distance runner, but I enjoy riding, so I use it as cross training. My bike had been sitting, idle for the last two months, so I took it out for a 20 mile ride this morning. Life is good.