1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey Michael,

Good work on losing some weight! Just a thought...have you ever considered weight lifting? It can make a big difference in the way you look and feel, and it can also be an effective way to burn calories. This happens not only while you lift weights, but while you are at rest.

There are two books I recommend for you about losing weight. They are both by Tom Venuto. One is an ebook, and the other is a hard copy you can pick up in a bookstore.

Ebook: Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - Burnthefat.com

Hardcopy: They Body Fat Solution

Both can help you, as the author takes a slightly different approach to fat loss than most books I've read on the subject.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Serenity now!
    Wow dude! You have made some huge changes in such a small amount of time. I am seriously impressed.
    Duchess of Dab

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Hey Michael,

Good work on losing some weight! Just a thought...have you ever considered weight lifting? It can make a big difference in the way you look and feel, and it can also be an effective way to burn calories. This happens not only while you lift weights, but while you are at rest.

There are two books I recommend for you about losing weight. They are both by Tom Venuto. One is an ebook, and the other is a hard copy you can pick up in a bookstore.

Both can help you, as the author takes a slightly different approach to fat loss than most books I've read on the subject.

Second the weight lifting suggestion, it can really fire up the metabolism.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Another vote for weight training. It is counter intuitive to think that it could be more effective than something that has you constantly moving but it is THE most effective tool for body composition improvement (fat loss) second to diet of course.

I'm a lifter first and I ride as a hobby and for fun. I don't even NEED to ride to keep my bodyfat low as long as my diet is good and I'm lifting. Getting to that thought paradigm is the best shift in perspective people can make to stay healthy and manage bodyfat for a lifetime.

mtbr member
    Great job! Keep it up!
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Awesome.

I wanted to write more but I didn't really know what to say. Awesome just seemed to sum things up for me. Keep at it and keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Way To Go!!!! You continue to be an inspiration! Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Hey Mike,

Congrats on losing the weight, I know where you are at, I'm 6' tall and in July I was 331 lbs as of today I'm 286. I started out just walking in the evenings with my wife, then I started riding my exercise bike in the mornings and walking in the evenings. Now that the weather has turned cold I'm logging about 35 miles a day on the exercise bike. I am now shopping for a real bike so I can be ready to ride for real this spring. Just keep the faith and keep moving and you will reach your goal.

hoki

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys

Thanks for the comments.. As for the weight lifting i did start two weeks ago.. Working with a local trainer who was a competitive weight lifter for 20 years and now trains lifters he is a good friend of mine from our RC Racing hobby.. and working with another local pro named Larry Scott who now runs a supplements store locally to me who was also a competitive lifter.

basiclly they did not want me to work on anything other than cardio until i lost some weight, and started to feel better over all. Which i have. So now that we have gotten to that point they started working with me basicly telling me that working the larger muscles in my body will burn fat faster than the cardio, while the cardio is great when you stop cardio you stop burning and the muscle working your burning during and then again after during recovery.

So ideally we do a 5 min warm up on the Elliptical i prefer over the treadmill then we go into a 15 mins sprints so basicly we increase the resistance and elevation and we bring my heart rate up to 130 and then i go hard for a min bringing my rate up to 150.. then ease up and bring the rate back down to 130 then back up again we do that for about 15 mins and i really get a good burn on doing that. Then we go into a 1 hour weight train.. right now they have me doing lighter weights and aiming for 20 reps they want me to by the time i hit 20 its sucking everything i have left out of me to do it.. and we do 3 sets .. we do a bunch of different machines and free weights changing it up regularly. Then outside of that i do the trainer daily usually around 10km just easy going..

I picked up a polar RS300x heart rate monitor which works well as the cardio machines at the gym pick up the transmitter and then i bought the download station for it too so i can download our workouts and see where im either not hitting a target or pushing too hard.

Over all im feeling awesome just worried about the legs.. lol seems with the riding and the gym i have formed some decent looking legs but the yupper body is still sucking and don'e want to end up with tree trunks for legs and nothing up top but they say they wont let that happen.

My legs, again if it offends anyone sorry for that.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Your legs belong on someone lean and fit.

Maybe that's a preview...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The one thing that carrying around almost 250 pounds of fat is that the leg muscles are strong.. That was always my thing with MTB i could ride up the hill that needed the most power with ease.. but then i could not ride more than 10 mins because of the lack of cardio

I want your legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    good work man, if you wanna work every muscle in your body some of the basic things in trials riding is all about balance. now i'm not going to stay doing all the spins tricks and what not but look into doing simple balancing items i.e. trackstanding

Thinkbikes tutorial vids...must watch!! - Observed Trials Bike Forum

do simple balance stuff when you can't ride outside that day. back the car outta the garage and give yourself some space to balance inside.

if you do this,
    lower your seat!!!
    adjust your brakes for 1 finger braking if you haven't done so
    stiffen the stock(s) if not already done.

plus balancing will help you when your out on the trails.

if you have any questions on this stuff let me know i'll get some more links for you to look at for basic stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Keep up the good work! Diet and excersize are a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The higher the heart rate, the more the body burns carbs instead of fat.
    I would suggest longer, slower rides for fat burning, and an occasional sprint for strength and fitness.

Back when I was losing weight, it seemed that diet made the biggest difference, and exercise not so much.
    I haven't read the whole thread but as a personal trainer, this post jumped right out at me and it's on page one.

Misinformation. yes at higher heartrates you burn a lower PERCENTAGE of fat calories, however, your overall caloric burn is so much higher that you burn more total fat which is the ultimate goal. There is so much science that good trainers know about and could really helpe people like yourself with but the key is to find the really good ones that know what they are talking about and aren't just working in a gym so they can get a free membership for themselves. keep up the good work. It never gets easier, you just get better, faster, leaner, etc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Hey Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    Hey guys

Thanks for the comments.. As for the weight lifting i did start two weeks ago.. Working with a local trainer who was a competitive weight lifter for 20 years and now trains lifters he is a good friend of mine from our RC Racing hobby.. and working with another local pro named Larry Scott who now runs a supplements store locally to me who was also a competitive lifter.

basiclly they did not want me to work on anything other than cardio until i lost some weight, and started to feel better over all. Which i have. So now that we have gotten to that point they started working with me basicly telling me that working the larger muscles in my body will burn fat faster than the cardio, while the cardio is great when you stop cardio you stop burning and the muscle working your burning during and then again after during recovery.

So ideally we do a 5 min warm up on the Elliptical i prefer over the treadmill then we go into a 15 mins sprints so basicly we increase the resistance and elevation and we bring my heart rate up to 130 and then i go hard for a min bringing my rate up to 150.. then ease up and bring the rate back down to 130 then back up again we do that for about 15 mins and i really get a good burn on doing that. Then we go into a 1 hour weight train.. right now they have me doing lighter weights and aiming for 20 reps they want me to by the time i hit 20 its sucking everything i have left out of me to do it.. and we do 3 sets .. we do a bunch of different machines and free weights changing it up regularly. Then outside of that i do the trainer daily usually around 10km just easy going..

I picked up a polar RS300x heart rate monitor which works well as the cardio machines at the gym pick up the transmitter and then i bought the download station for it too so i can download our workouts and see where im either not hitting a target or pushing too hard.

Over all im feeling awesome just worried about the legs.. lol seems with the riding and the gym i have formed some decent looking legs but the yupper body is still sucking and don'e want to end up with tree trunks for legs and nothing up top but they say they wont let that happen.

My legs, again if it offends anyone sorry for that.

I'm 6'3" 250lbs personal trainer and my legs look similar to that but I think you've got me beat! you are right in that people who are heavy build a lot of leg mass from carrying around their bodyweight all those years but damn man, there are plenty of skinny gym rats that would kill for you legs. keep on battling and doing what you are doing. Very impressed. As a trainer i get frustrated because the people that need my help the most are the least willing to put the work in for it, its nice to see someone embrace the challenge and make a change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks everyone for all the kind words, it has been hard and i am doing my best to try and not get discouraged.

Ignore the first date thats when i had downloaded this app for my phone but the numbers where from august, compared to December.

Currently i do 5-10km daily on my MTB on the trainer, i gotta say doing 5k on the trainer is soo much harder than 5k on the trails.. lol i guess we tend to do a couple of the kms downhill.. and i have been hitting the gym now 5 times a week.. 1 day upper body, 1 day lower body, 1 day break.. doing cardio sprints for warm up and then a simple cool down on the elipical for a cool down before leaving.

Flow like water
    Michael,

Keep fighting, dude! I am glad to see you making steady progress. Nice guns.

ready to ride
    Way to go! Keep it up.

JBC I am jealous of your legs.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Inspiring for sure... Your story has made me think about making healthier decisions in my own life.

Awesome to see someone in your position grab life by the balls and decide to make a positive change. Its a long road... Don't get discouraged... And keep having FUN on the bike.

I'd ride with you any day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nice.

Most people find it harder to ride the trainer. I think the biggest thing is that a lot of the things that are compelling about cycling are absent from riding the trainer. But, you'll get to start next season stronger, so that's a big plus.

One of my teammates does most of his training right in his garage. Strikes me as very depressing, although with the weather lately, I'm wishing I brought my trainer to my fiancee's for this trip.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Good job!

Keep going like this and you'll reach your goal faster than you think. The hardest part is starting to exercise, but now that you see these great results, it must be very motivating to continue. You are doing very well!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Way to go dude! Keep it up, and hit the trails as much as you can to keep the love of the trails. I know riding/walking/running on a machine can be irritatingly boring...

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Guys,

Been a little white.. Life got crazy over the holidays with three little ones under 4 but i stayed on track.

I am glad to say that as of this weeks follow up with my doctor i am down to 309 down from almost 330 before Christmas.

I am still using my trainer daily, and have taken my rides from 2-5KM a day to now 12-15km per day.. still not a ton as i know guys doing 100km ride on there trainers but its much more than i ever through i would ever be able to do!

Its just nice to be able to walk into my closet now and know that every thing in there fits me.. actually if anything im still holding out to loss alittle more before i buy new cloths as i have gone form a 6XL to fitting into a 4XL tight in a 3XL so things are coming along!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast