1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Keep it up, man. That's great! I was proud of my measly 10 pound weight loss this summer. Good job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    well the apointment was good today... i got the go ahead to get back at it.. they where pleased with my stress test and the blood work came back clean no issues or damage to the heart.

only concern that came up was my Testosterone, the tolerance on the blood test was supose to be 8.5mmol - 16mmol.. and someone my age ect should be 12+mmol however.. it came back 4.8 so its extremely low and while i don't totally understand what it does he was showing some pretty serious concern with it.. enough to refer me to a endocrinologist right away so we will see what happens there.. find out whats causing the low T's and get that corrected.

He did say that explains some things, including my lack of energy, mood swings and some recent difficulty losing weight/ gained some back.

duh
    Glad to here you are able to get back to riding. Just in time for some nice fall rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oh man, sad to hear of your recent troubles. Low t can suck, hopefully they get that solved for you or at least get you supplements to help correct it. I know a lot of big guys have it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Ok update i have been reading some of the posts and i think this is the type of support we need to stay fit. My wife is a nurse and i am on a slight veggan diet now for a couple of days no red meat (im dying without and with it) but its been fish mostly as well as a vitamin B12 shot once so far but you really feel the differnce in how you move around i am still in my 4xl shirts and 42in waist pants but they have started loosening up it feels great. I am now 280 from 291 that was hard trying to not eat the wronge things getting up in the morning to workout and go runwalking as my 17 year old calls it. I thought after my bike was stolen i would not be able to get any weight off i dont like running on asphalt or concrete but on grass its not as bad. But on another note I found a bike its a cannondale 29er trail sl 3r for 500.00 along with some extra parts it has a rigid front fork that i am waiting to hear from cannondale to make sure it will hold up against my weight. You guys keep it up i will and i have been taking pics and will post some when i get down a bit more. Sorry to have hijacked the thread but im excited.

mtbr member
    Michael lambert im glade you are getting back out there i am sorry i did notpost this earlier i was excited about my weight lose butitwas selfish. Keep up the good work and lets make theword of the day fresh veggies and fish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    michael lambert keep it up, started out kind of similarly to your story(diabetic 442lbs - weight the day I found out)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I can relate to you buddy. all my life I was 6ft tall, 165bls, healthy. Then I got sick, Graves disease, nasty thyroid thing, got my thyroid nuked, total low metabolism, my wife died of cancer 7 years ago, broke my heart,tried to eat my way out of grief. I'm 60 years old, married for 36 years. Anyway, after 2 years my 165 lb frame went up to 380lb!! Yup, Anyway, joined Weight Watchers last year after losing 100lbs on my own, got back on my bike, I have always had bikes since 1965. I am now a new man, back to 185, I will never ever be 165lb again, thats just too much to ask. I have had a new hip and I'm in better shape mentally and physically than I have been for a long, long time. I'm a grandfather, love my life. So buddy, keep it up!! You CAN do it, I'm living proof. Ignore the wankers that think they have the right to comment on your body. Just consider the source. You are an inspiration and you are NOT alone, many of us have been or are on your journey!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    man you guys are great i check in every couple of days now when i dont feel like doing anything and the krispy kreams call me and i almost everytime i see a story thats like wow ( get your butt up ) and Im out the door. This is great not the problems but the help and he way we share our stories to keep the spirits up i applaud you all. Thanks

mtbr member
    i hate typing on my phone sorry about the misspelled words

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You shredders, the young healthy bucks, your compassion and understanding of us who are challenged is truly touching.......Today I really wanted to stay home but I got out there, went around a local island here, so tranquil, dead flat, 10 k, I did it 3 times and I was so glad I got out there. This thread has totally inspired me....again! uys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey wild5ive, your heart doesn't need a spell checker, we got it! Thanks son.

mtbr member
    inspiration comes from many places the thanks is not needed from you to me but from me to you. You guys keep it up Im gonna let a few of my friends in on the mtbr family they need a little more help i try but its not enough. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Great thread. Since I started MTB seriously about a year ago I've lost aoround 40lbs. I started at +/-265 and I'm down to 215. I still have about 25lbs to go but I feel great. I didn't go on a diet and I didn't start some crazy workout routine. I changed my lifestyle. I cut out all the toxic foods in my diet. I cut out sodas, sugar drinks, chips, fast food, and other junk. I mostly eat food I cook and watched my calories for a bit. Once you change your diet to natural foods you don't really have to keep an eye on your calories. Thankfully at my job we have support from a nutritionist. He explained how to read labels and ingredients of packaged food. Stay away from anything that says "enriched" "corn syrup" sugar in the top three ingredients and compare calories by serving size. At first I was spending 15mins picking out a bread but once you find the brands you like it gets easy.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is yes physical activity is very important to weight loss but not as much as eating healthy. Think of our bodies as cars. Sure the car can run if you have a filthy air filter, never change the oil and use dirty cheap gas but it's not going to run well or for very long. It's going to lose alot of power and will eventually break down because the fuel lines clog up(fast food) or your engine seizes because of no oil. (stretching/overall health)

But I still drink beer! Almost impossible to cut that out... But it makes me happy and diets that don't make you happy don't work in the long run.

Great thread! Lots of good stuff here and inspires to keep riding and keep moving forward!

Keep up the good work!
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

ready to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I just saw that on roadbikereview and thought of this tread. Fantasic to see people making a commitment to improve their health and also great to see so many supporters as well.
    Here is his Strava page. 1600+ miles this year. Impressive.

Ernest G. | Cyclist | Strava
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Michael Lambert -- People like you inspire me. I hope you get to feeling better soon, and never give up.

At the end of last year, I was a lazy sedentary guy that was about 20 pounds over weight, had high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I was heading towards an early grave.

My wife bought a Groupon for the local gym and we both started to work out on January 1st. We did several boot-camp style classes a week and moved on to spinning classes which we enjoy very much.

We now do about 3 hours of spinning every week, and I have put over 1000 miles on my bike this year so far.

My blood pressure and cholesterol are well under control, and I'm the most fit I have ever been.

Biking and eating right have turned my health around, and stories like yours keep me motivated and working hard. Thanks! Keep up your hard work!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Giving up alcohol per se is surprisingly easy. Just stop drinking alcoholic drinks.

The biggest difficulty for me was that at the time, one of the things I did for fun was going to bars with my friends. My drunk friends are much less fun when I'm sober.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    yes its ontario canada... I am not far from Caledon.. I actually live just south of Barrie Ontario.. We do have plenty of easier surfaces to ride on even the local trails like coulsons hill i have riden the top part not going down into the ravine area and i can ride 3-4km of trail that is pretty much all flat with little elevations..
    Sweet Mike! I'm from Woodbridge. Ain't many good places to ride here though. You should get a seasons pass to hardwood hills next year since you're kinda close. You'd have a blast. Keep up the work my friend. Massive props to you

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome story. Stuff like this inspires me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys,

its been a while ... i have not falling off the edge of the world or anything

Been dealing with some hormon issues but we are starting to get that under control.

I picked up the cycleops fluid2 trainer.. and a Schwabe big apple rear tire for it and loving it..

I have found out real fast that doing 5KM on the road is MUCH easier than 5KM on the trainer.. lol its amazing how much coasting i guess i do when riding on the road. lol However i am pushing out 10-15KM daily on the trainer and grabbed myself a personal weight trainer so we do a weight routine 3 nights a week..

Back in October i weight 376 and as of this morning at my weigh in with the trainer i am at 329.5! adn a loss of about 20 inches through out my body ( Legs, abs neck.. ect )

A little progressive shot, for those who are offended by it.. sorry

Gumnut Peddler
    Nice progress!
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    I picked up the cycleops fluid2 trainer.. and a Schwabe big apple rear tire for it and loving it..

I have found out real fast that doing 5KM on the road is MUCH easier than 5KM on the trainer.. lol its amazing how much coasting i guess i do when riding on the road. lol
    Nice trainer!

Yeah, the constant resistance of a trainer takes getting used to. I usually take it easy (lower gear) for the first 5 to 10 minutes and find I can push it comfortably for a lot longer once I dial up the resistance. Start out too hard and I can't wait to get off.

Congrats and keep at it!
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Fat-tired Roadie
    Trainers can be tricky. Make sure you've got a good setup with fans and distractions. I like a commercial break intervals workout on the trainer - an easy pace during the show, and then take it up a notch during the commercials.

Great progress!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

duh
    nice progress keep it up.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast