1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Keep it up great. I am inspired more everyday i just started a week ago and i am down 4lbs from 291. Keep it up

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi Michael, Your journey and the support you are getting from this community are an inspiration to me. Im thinking about you as I ride up these hills. On my descents Im just thinking "I love mountain biking!!!, don't kill yourself Ginko!!!!"

mtbr member

Same boat as wild5ive

Quote Originally Posted by wild5ive View Post
    Keep it up great. I am inspired more everyday i just started a week ago and i am down 4lbs from 291. Keep it up
    Michael, I am inspired by you,started a month ago lost 10 lbs from 290 but still need to go down more. Just checking in to see how you are doing
    "No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride."

mtbr member
    Just checking back in was doing good i think until my bike was stolen, went out of town for a funeral and got a call from ADT telling me some one had entered my home. We where in Carolina at the time when i got home my t.v.s were missing 2 bikes and my oldest sons football and basketball trophy as well as my George forma grill (really it was used WOW) so right now Im in the process of trying to buy another one as well as get some stuff replaced only 2 t.v. were on my renters insurance plan so i have been on a tread mill i hate it same ol thing to look at Im looking at the BAMF line of 29ers will update when i get a New bike money is a little tight right now after helping with the funeral. thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Just checking back in was doing good i think until my bike was stolen, went out of town for a funeral and got a call from ADT telling me some one had entered my home. We where in Carolina at the time when i got home my t.v.s were missing 2 bikes and my oldest sons football and basketball trophy as well as my George forma grill (really it was used WOW) so right now Im in the process of trying to buy another one as well as get some stuff replaced only 2 t.v. were on my renters insurance plan so i have been on a tread mill i hate it same ol thing to look at Im looking at the BAMF line of 29ers will update when i get a New bike money is a little tight right now after helping with the funeral. thanks a lot
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck, keep your head up !! Hopefully ur back out on the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is really inspiring, I need to start riding more often...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow man, just wow. Thats pretty powerful stuff. A guy your size just snatching up the motivation, getting up and hitting the trails - that's quite amazing. Good job on the weightloss and I wish you the best on your journey.

Sorry I have no input on the trainer, but I at LEAST felt the need to give you props where deserved.

Happy trails my friend!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oh man, just saw this after I posted - Sorry to hear about this. Hope it turns around quickly for you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am really thankful I live in an area with well developed trails to ride instead of having to ride on the roadways (Katy, TX). I have always been kind of paranoid about road riding, and have had 2 friends die as a result of being struck by vehicles (one in a formal road race/charity event). I too am overweight and am looking to lose some weight in the process, and have always loved riding bikes. We recently moved to Katy from Louisiana and have purchased 5 bikes in the past 3 weeks. 2 cruisers for my girls and 3 mountain bikes for my sons and I. All new except for mine. Riding almost every day, and we don't sit down to watch any TV until after dark. Kids get home from school, have a snack and do homework, we eat dinner, and off to the trails until it gets dark. I dread the time change next month when it will be getting dark at 6:00.

mtbr member
    Excellent videos of your rides in Bradford. Keep going!! You're doing great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    At the risk of getting flamed by a bunch of ****-wads, have you considered a vegan/vegetarian diet? With an emphasis on organic plants and whole grains? Don't worry if you don't like tofu/tempeh, I think that **** sucks a bag o' ***** too. Too processed and too much soy. My goal in food purchasing is the least amount of ingredients, the better. Bonus if it's organic; at least, that's how I do when I have funds to do it. Dry goods at Whole Foods are stupid cheap. Quinoa is awesome. If you check out the Nutrition/Hydration forum there's a Vegan/Vegetarian Passion thread with lots of good info and a bunch of unnecessary flaming from ******-nozzles. But a lot of good recourses none the less.
    So that's what is wrong with you! LOL

Thanks for the thread. I do not plan on becoming a vegetarian or vegan, I just like meat too much. But I do enjoy vegetables very much. I'm that type of guy that likes just about everything as long as it doesn't bite me back. I find it nice to have a strictly vegatable diet for a day or two. I'm not sure if I can exactly pinpoint a valid reason besides it just tastes and feels "cleaner" or not so gravy/fat laden/heavy on the stomach type thing. I find the same thing when I eat sushi. I will not eat anything that is cooked, processed or prepared when I go eat sushi, it defeats my specific purpose of eating something that does not weigh down on me, plus it confuses my taste.

I second the motion to lean towards more vegatables. Your body still needs fat, even when you are trying to lose yours and vegatables is a much better source. And as I mentioned, your digestive system will not feel so heavy. Making sure to add garlic when you can will also help clean you out.

Good luck to you! Keep on keeping on!
    They call me non-sequitur

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow man, this is really inspirational. After all the grief people have given you, you still haven't given up... It would be great if you kept posting the youtube videos, really cool to see your progress

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just a update, Sorry been away..

Two weeks ago i had the ride of my life, with a couple of my regulars.. we went and rode the race course at Coulsons hill, what would normally take me about 35 mins we did it in 20.. The goal was to not come out of hte middle front ring.. and i pushed my butt off.. on the big climb i actually started to feel light headed but pushed through it.

Anyways, finished the ride got lots of props and then hit the dirt like a ton of bricks!!! Just could not catch my breath but after relaxing things mellowed out and i did go check in with my doc the next day.. ended up in ER at the strong advice of my doctor and after a Echocardiogram and blood work they have determined i have a 30% blockage in my left artery.. Which could explain why i get tired soo easy!

So i am on new meds coming along well been told to stay off my feet as much as i can for a couple of weeks and go tomorrow for my follow up to see how the new meds are working.. they figure that most of it should clear up on its own with the meds and diet change again.

I will let everyone know tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow that's awesome that u lost so much weight in so little time. I just got a bike for the same reason I'm 5'9 250lbs and I'm hoping I can loose 50lb in the next year.. Keep it up man..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good to hear it should be resolved with meds. If you ever make it to East TN you can ride with us anytime. Keep up the amazing work

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I eat cats
    Keep it up dude! The fact that you are still posting on here and riding means that you are still motivated and willing to continue on this path. I have a friend that I have wanted to have some sort of "intervention" with but don't know how to approach it. He used to be active and over the last few years has really taken a turn for the worst. My wife and I were going through pictures the other night and could not believe how different he was just 4 years ago. Any suggestions on how to talk to him without coming off too strong? It's a tough subject but it's getting to that really concerned point for us..
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nice to see you're still going strong. Hope the meds will get you back out soon.

I wanted to comment on one of your thoughts a few posts back:
    I agree moderation, and correct foods are my issue.. and of course finding something that will give me that FULL feeling..
    I believe many of us were taught at an early age that being full was the goal of our evening meals. Perhaps, that made sense for active, growing children but it's hardly good advice for most adults.

AndrwSwitch made a number of great suggestions on portion control, counting calories and developing a plan to succeed and, IME, they all work. But until you recognize that feeling full is not a component of any of these strategies, you may be sabotaging your own health and wellness efforts.

Rather than eating until you're full, you should want to eat smart. Moderation means you should eat until you no longer feel hunger pangs, consume an appropriate number of calories and nutrients and then put down the fork.

I know it's a lot easier said than done but, like any dramatic lifestyle change, there will be a period of adjustment. For a while, it won't feel right to eat such small portions but don't give up! Eventually, your body will adapt and you'll realize that eating smart is something you can easily live with.

Good luck!
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    briefly got the idea of maybe getting a bike to lose some weight since my joints end up hurting if i walk/run for (what i would consider) a long time. lol. Saw the video the OP posted and instantly made my decision to go for it. Now the journey on which bike to get

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Keep it up dude! The fact that you are still posting on here and riding means that you are still motivated and willing to continue on this path. I have a friend that I have wanted to have some sort of "intervention" with but don't know how to approach it. He used to be active and over the last few years has really taken a turn for the worst. My wife and I were going through pictures the other night and could not believe how different he was just 4 years ago. Any suggestions on how to talk to him without coming off too strong? It's a tough subject but it's getting to that really concerned point for us..
    Most people hate being pitied or being told they do something wrong, it's much better to declare that you want him as your riding buddy and pull him off the couch. Let him know that saturday 9 am you're bringing your spare bike and picking him up for some outdoor fun. Come saturday he might feel too tired or something, be a little pushy but if he's serious about not going tell him that you're coming for him next saturday and he should go to bed early friday, get a good nights sleep, set the alarm for 8 pm and eat something like a ham sandwich but not stuff himself before the ride. You bring another ham sandwich in your backpack in case he bonks out during the ride.

It might take 8 saturdays to either make him go or tell you directly to stop trying. Keep the focus on how you like to have him as a riding buddy rather that how you're trying to save him from himself. Let him know you enjoy his company and want him there.

Once you get him on the bike it's important that you don't ride him too hard. Pick a short route that has some easy climbs. Stay close to the trail head so you don't have too far to go when he feels spent. The objective is not to test his limits and grind him into dust, the objective is to design a ride that he'll be able to manage and fell good about afterwards.

If you work him too hard he'll be sore as hell the next day and remember that soreness next time you want to take him riding. It's a million times better if you go a bit too easy on him, let him build up a sweat and all that, but leave him with enough energy to brag about it. Let him remember the wind in his hair, the fresh air and that he managed it without killing himself.

Let him know you enjoy his company and had fun riding with him. Play the role of a coach. Pick routes that he can handle, pick him up and bring him to the trail, let him know what you eat and drink before and after a ride, push him a bit without breaking him.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^^^ Very good advice!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Most people hate being pitied or being told they do something wrong, it's much better to declare that you want him as your riding buddy and pull him off the couch. Let him know that saturday 9 am you're bringing your spare bike and picking him up for some outdoor fun. Come saturday he might feel too tired or something, be a little pushy but if he's serious about not going tell him that you're coming for him next saturday and he should go to bed early friday, get a good nights sleep, set the alarm for 8 pm and eat something like a ham sandwich but not stuff himself before the ride. You bring another ham sandwich in your backpack in case he bonks out during the ride.

It might take 8 saturdays to either make him go or tell you directly to stop trying. Keep the focus on how you like to have him as a riding buddy rather that how you're trying to save him from himself. Let him know you enjoy his company and want him there.

Once you get him on the bike it's important that you don't ride him too hard. Pick a short route that has some easy climbs. Stay close to the trail head so you don't have too far to go when he feels spent. The objective is not to test his limits and grind him into dust, the objective is to design a ride that he'll be able to manage and fell good about afterwards.

If you work him too hard he'll be sore as hell the next day and remember that soreness next time you want to take him riding. It's a million times better if you go a bit too easy on him, let him build up a sweat and all that, but leave him with enough energy to brag about it. Let him remember the wind in his hair, the fresh air and that he managed it without killing himself.

Let him know you enjoy his company and had fun riding with him. Play the role of a coach. Pick routes that he can handle, pick him up and bring him to the trail, let him know what you eat and drink before and after a ride, push him a bit without breaking him.
    QFT.

GREAT advice!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    ... ended up in ER at the strong advice of my doctor and after a Echocardiogram and blood work they have determined i have a 30% blockage in my left artery.. Which could explain why i get tired soo easy!

So i am on new meds coming along well been told to stay off my feet as much as i can for a couple of weeks and go tomorrow for my follow up to see how the new meds are working.. they figure that most of it should clear up on its own with the meds and diet change again.

I will let everyone know tomorrow.
    Michael... Wow... So glad it was just a 30% blockage. I hope these meds and diet change work out for you. Biking and exercise are good for you, but over doing it can be even works Listen to your doctor!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I hate hearing about break ins! We were burglarized about a year ago. They did catch the three guys who did it within hours of me getting home... but we did not recover everything we lost.

I don't know WHY people think they are entitle to take other people's stuff. One of the guys involved in our robbery was an ex-neighbor who my husband used to hire to do odd jobs.. shoot, he even took the guy to the dentist and paid to have a tooth extracted since the guy couldn't afford it.

The sad thing is that I am sure that the three who did the thieving had better stuff than they stole from us.. in fact, they did NOT steal our 1999, big as an oven television.. nor our vcr player. I told the officers that I was almost offended that our stuff wasn't good enough for them. They did get my deceased mother's jewelry and my favorite pistol though.. and neither were recovered.

On top of that, if they DO catch people, they dont' get much punishment. Two of the three in our situation were felons. One was actually wearing one of those monitoring bracelets because he had been convicted of failing to report as a sex offender. He got the most time at 18 months to serve. One of them got a year and the other 9 months. Not a whole lot of time for turning people's life upside down!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinchi View Post
    Nice to see you're still going strong. Hope the meds will get you back out soon.

I wanted to comment on one of your thoughts a few posts back: I believe many of us were taught at an early age that being full was the goal of our evening meals. Perhaps, that made sense for active, growing children but it's hardly good advice for most adults.

AndrwSwitch made a number of great suggestions on portion control, counting calories and developing a plan to succeed and, IME, they all work. But until you recognize that feeling full is not a component of any of these strategies, you may be sabotaging your own health and wellness efforts.

Rather than eating until you're full, you should want to eat smart. Moderation means you should eat until you no longer feel hunger pangs, consume an appropriate number of calories and nutrients and then put down the fork.

I know it's a lot easier said than done but, like any dramatic lifestyle change, there will be a period of adjustment. For a while, it won't feel right to eat such small portions but don't give up! Eventually, your body will adapt and you'll realize that eating smart is something you can easily live with.

Good luck!
    Ahh the infamous Push Away....

Much harder than a push up.....but far more effective.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast