1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Very cool read mike.

I have a buddy similar to yours. I also race mx one of my close buddies is knocking on 350 maybe more. He races to and is fast! People will make remarks about him on the starting gate before he starts. I just sit back and watch. Usually he kicks ass and has great style in the air. People just can't believe it.

The way he unloads his bike is also crazy. The guy will literally pick the whole thing up and lift it over the side of his bed. It's a 450f so its around 220 wet.

You keep it up! Great story! Just because your big doesn't mean you can't ride and ride well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sock puppet

excellent advice....

keep the heart rate low so that you feel like you can ride at least 2-3 hours at that pace, but sweating...

also, i would say - 75% at least - is your diet.... 25% is exercise...

watch what you eat, and in general - eat less. lots of info on the internet. drink more liquids (no alcohol).

and most importantly - keep at it. only perseverance will yield results...

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The higher the heart rate, the more the body burns carbs instead of fat.
    I would suggest longer, slower rides for fat burning, and an occasional sprint for strength and fitness.

Back when I was losing weight, it seemed that diet made the biggest difference, and exercise not so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yea my biggest problem living around here is everything is hills.. lol And even the simplist hills are hard..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    **** Health Update****

so had my 3 month followup, I see my Doctor monthly for little followups, support and suggestions.. however every 3 months we do a blood work up and physical ( Great thing of great health care in Ontario Canada).

However he had some grave concerns with my workup.. I am showing serious signs of "adiposis cardiaca" ( Fatty Heart ) so when he got those results he sent me for a ECG and we are showing "Pericardial effusion" ( Water around the heart). He did say that while it is serious its nothing to panic about yet but i am showing issues developing.. So i am on a new diuretic has told me i have to really put my head into a diet he wants me to drop red meats and shellfish and eat only lean meat ( Chicken breast, White fish.. ect ) and cut out white carbs, and going for another ECG and blood work in 30 days.

He did show concerns wtih the fact that i do MTB... not so much that i MTB.. but that i tend to push harder than i should.. Not uncommon for my heart rate to exceed 220 on a tougher climb...

He basicly said i can ride at a rate that does not cause a sweat... lol I told him i sweat just looking at my bike.. So not sure what i will do now, as i have being use MTB as my way of dealing with weight and stress over the last several months.

sock puppet

hey, where did you find serious hills in

Ontario , Canada.... I've been looking for them for the last 15 years...

kidding aside - do what your doc says... i don't think you need a better incentive to drop weight now...

discipline and determination - that will take you a long way....

discipline.... and... determination....

Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    **** Health Update****

so had my 3 month followup, I see my Doctor monthly for little followups, support and suggestions.. however every 3 months we do a blood work up and physical ( Great thing of great health care in Ontario Canada).

However he had some grave concerns with my workup.. I am showing serious signs of "adiposis cardiaca" ( Fatty Heart ) so when he got those results he sent me for a ECG and we are showing "Pericardial effusion" ( Water around the heart). He did say that while it is serious its nothing to panic about yet but i am showing issues developing.. So i am on a new diuretic has told me i have to really put my head into a diet he wants me to drop red meats and shellfish and eat only lean meat ( Chicken breast, White fish.. ect ) and cut out white carbs, and going for another ECG and blood work in 30 days.

He did show concerns wtih the fact that i do MTB... not so much that i MTB.. but that i tend to push harder than i should.. Not uncommon for my heart rate to exceed 220 on a tougher climb...

He basicly said i can ride at a rate that does not cause a sweat... lol I told him i sweat just looking at my bike.. So not sure what i will do now, as i have being use MTB as my way of dealing with weight and stress over the last several months.

At the risk of getting flamed by a bunch of ****-wads, have you considered a vegan/vegetarian diet? With an emphasis on organic plants and whole grains? Don't worry if you don't like tofu/tempeh, I think that **** sucks a bag o' ***** too. Too processed and too much soy. My goal in food purchasing is the least amount of ingredients, the better. Bonus if it's organic; at least, that's how I do when I have funds to do it. Dry goods at Whole Foods are stupid cheap. Quinoa is awesome. If you check out the Nutrition/Hydration forum there's a Vegan/Vegetarian Passion thread with lots of good info and a bunch of unnecessary flaming from ******-nozzles. But a lot of good recourses none the less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Gumnut Peddler
    Get a heart rate monitor and keep a close eye on it. Even if you are doing small rides with a stop to drop the HR, it is still exercise. You just need to learn to not rush into it, and instead ease your body into it. On the plus side, it means you will do exercise for longer due to the small stops every now and then.

The HR monitor only has to be a cheap one that is easy to read. No need to over complicate it for what you need it for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    At the risk of getting flamed by a bunch of ****-wads, have you considered a vegan/vegetarian diet? With an emphasis on organic plants and whole grains? Don't worry if you don't like tofu/tempeh, I think that **** sucks a bag o' ***** too. Too processed and too much soy. My goal in food purchasing is the least amount of ingredients, the better. Bonus if it's organic; at least, that's how I do when I have funds to do it. Dry goods at Whole Foods are stupid cheap. Quinoa is awesome. If you check out the Nutrition/Hydration forum there's a Vegan/Vegetarian Passion thread with lots of good info and a bunch of unnecessary flaming from ******-nozzles. But a lot of good recourses none the less.
    I have considered it, or atleast a variation of it.. I would like to keep grain fed chicken and white fish in my diet.. But i am planning on cutting simple carbs from the my diet completely.. And looking to stick with a veggie/ bean diet to the best i can.

One issue i have is the Gout, and alot of what would be in a vegetarian diet would irritate it

sock puppet

don't know about organic

Little evidence of health benefits from organic foods, Stanford study finds - Office of Communications & Public Affairs - Stanford University School of Medicine

but veggies, dropping red meat, bread, eliminating sweet tooth etc - are all good practices... diet is more than 75% of success in dropping and/or maintaining a healthy body weight...

i don't know if becoming a vegetarian or even a vegan is the answer... i believe, based on my personal experience as well, is that moderation is the key to living healthy...

stay away from genetically altered food at any cost as well...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I agree moderation, and correct foods are my issue.. and ofcourse finding something that will give me that FULL feeling..

For example tonight, i made steamed cabbage with carrots and watercrest with chicken breast, and did potatoes for the kids and wife..

However i could not leave the table feeling full with out eating almost 1/2 a head of cabbage and two chicken breasts.. which would have been two portions..

My other major issue is seasoning.. I know i use too much salt and sodium high spices and really need to learn to back off that too.

I'm not advocating organic as healthier. The nutrient content doesn't suddenly increase because there's no toxins on the food, I'm not an idiot and understand this; it's just a better way to produce your produce. Less impactful and better for the water you drink, the animals and plants in your area and your ecosystem as a whole. Sheesh.

Ah, I forgot about the gout. Find what works best for you and do it to the fullest. I'm pulling for ya and you definitely inspire me to ride more. Thanks for the stoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

sock puppet

no need to be defensive..

I'm not advocating organic as healthier. The nutrient content doesn't suddenly increase because there's no toxins on the food, I'm not an idiot and understand this; it's just a better way to produce your produce. Less impactful and better for the water you drink, the animals and plants in your area and your ecosystem as a whole. Sheesh.
    my wife spends ton of money buying organic foods.

but i am a technical person and just can't go for the hype... right now, most of the organic foods are pure marketing hype... but i like the idea. when it is properly regulated - it may work...

let's not derail the thread... it is about OP and his problem, not about the organic foods....

i am sorry if i said something that upset you - it was not my intention...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I agree moderation, and correct foods are my issue.. and ofcourse finding something that will give me that FULL feeling..

For example tonight, i made steamed cabbage with carrots and watercrest with chicken breast, and did potatoes for the kids and wife..

However i could not leave the table feeling full with out eating almost 1/2 a head of cabbage and two chicken breasts.. which would have been two portions..

My other major issue is seasoning.. I know i use too much salt and sodium high spices and really need to learn to back off that too.
    A couple things you can do here.

First, try eating more slowly. There's a bit of a delay between food getting to your stomach and when you feel full.

Second, pre-plan your portion sizes, and don't cook more than that. You don't necessarily need to go straight to your planned dieting portion size. Actually, it's probably a bad idea. Figure out how many calories you consume in a day, and then reduce that number by just a little bit. Like 100 calories. If you don't start losing weight in a week or so, knock off another 100 calories. If you are losing weight, be happy, and don't monkey with your portions until you plateau. If counting calories as such is too anal for you, there are alternatives. A friend of mine does Weight Watchers and finds their points system easier, for example.

I realize you're cooking for more than one person, which could make the portioning a bit harder. Supposedly, serving in the kitchen, so the food's not sitting in front of you on the table, is helpful. Since I almost always only cook for me, it's not something I've had to deal with, although it's probably a little easier for me to stop when I'm at a buffet than when I'm at a restaurant that serves family style and there's still food on the table.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Gumnut Peddler
    Drink LOTS of water whilst you are eating your meals, and I mean LOTS. Also try eating slowly, and take in the taste of the food. Smelling food also helps you feel 'fuller' - I know, it sounds crazy.

Given the outcome from your doctor, I really think you are getting close to the point of no return in regards to what your body can handle vs your medical conditions. It is a very tough pill to swallow.

Without being too harsh about it, lets simplify everything down to the very basics.

Being hungry sucks. It sucks a lot. BUT what is worse though, is not being there for your kids.

I am not saying go and starve yourself, but I think you need to start putting the foot down somewhere.
    2 chicken breasts are nice, but 1 is just as nice as 2 when it comes to taste. Go for 1 bit of chicken, cut it up small, and only take nibbles of it after eating a portion of vegies and water. Enjoy the chicken when you get a bit, but then put the foot down, and move on back to the vegies.

It will suck. You are going to feel hungry, but eventually you wont. Your mind is a powerful thing, and it will chuck a massive tanty when it doesnt get what it wants, but just like with kids, sometimes you just need to say NO and stick to your guns.

All the best with your diet and exercise, and I really do hope that this is a battle you win for the sake of yourself, your kids, and your family.

mtbr member
    Like everyone else is saying....eat slower. I found I can eat less and be satisfied even if I stop eating before I feel "full" It will catch up to you in a matter of minutes.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 42 and I let my wife talk me into eating better. No, its not a diet I just watch how much I eat in one sitting and cut back to zero fat milk (yes, I LOVE a glass of milk in the morning) even though it is almost like drinking water. And I drink water almost exclusively...well except for 1 Dr Pepper in the morning. I have found myself constantly drinking water all the time and ice water at meals. I have also found that I seem to be hungry a lot more now that I am riding but I just drink more water and ignore my hunger.

As for shirts I like under armor too but I REALLY like a Nike Dri-Fit Running shirt my wife got me. It says running inside the collar. I was able to get the mud stains out of the white shirt after a few washes too! I try not to wear it when its muddy now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Michael- You are an inspiration! Big PROPS to you for getting out and taking charge. Just getting back into biking myself I understand frustration you feel when your friends are faster than you. Trust in yourself and know your doing this for YOU not them.

You are doing great man, I wish I was near you; I would definitely ride with you, as slow as needed for us to enjoy the ride.

Keep it up!

sock puppet

nice thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by B1llBatt View Post
    Michael- You are an inspiration! Big PROPS to you for getting out and taking charge. Just getting back into biking myself I understand frustration you feel when your friends are faster than you. Trust in yourself and know your doing this for YOU not them.

You are doing great man, I wish I was near you; I would definitely ride with you, as slow as needed for us to enjoy the ride.

Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here is my number 1 reason to keep from being 6 feet under.. Today was her her First day of Junior Kindergarten and she was deep in thought.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

^^^ Great reason indeed!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

TJK
    MTB Noob Adrenaline Lover
    Sep 2012
    Can't blame you for that reason! Keep up the work.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    If your heart rate goes through the roof you're riding too fast. Seriously, practice climbing up a hill at stupidly low speed while trying to keep your heart rate below a predetermined number. Make a "game" where the objective of your trip is to never exceed for instance a heart rate of 170, if you get close, slow down even further, no matter how slow it gets. If it turns out impossible to get up a hill without breaking 170 then get off and walk. If walking has your heart rate climbing past 170, then walk slower. You will eventually learn how to keep your heart rate from exploding. It doesn't mean you have to ride like that every time out, but it's a really helpful tool to have in the bag once you've learned how.

As your fitness improves it gets easier. Your resting heart rate will eventually become lower and your heart rate will drop faster when you ease off the pedaling.

When I started riding last year I inputted my age and weight into my bike computer and based on rule of thumb it decided that my "zone" stretches from 116 to 152. Rule of thumb numbers like that are a bit arbitrary but I thought what the hell and just went with them. After each ride I could see how many minutes I had been in the zone, how many minutes below the zone and how many above. I would usually have like 30 seconds of "below" which amounted to me getting on the bike and strapping on my helmet. As soon as I started pedaling even slightly I would instantly go above 116.
    A year later I get quite a bit of "below" time simply because coasting down a hill will drop my pulse rapidly and sometimes into double digits. The upside is that I can start my climbs from a lower heart rate simply by relaxing/coasting a bit before I hit the climb and then I can push harder up the hill before reaching my max. heart rate.

On a side note. The 7 year old daughter of my friend once asked about my bike computer and pulse belt. I told her it was a speedometer for my heart. She asked if she could try it and I shortened the pulse belt with a safety pin and strapped it around her chest. She had my bike computer in her hand and I told her if she walked a bit the heart rate would rise and if she sat down and relaxed it would fall. We tried asking how low she could go if she stayed completely still on the couch, but that soon got boring so she did jumping jacks instead to "go for the record". Her heart is built like a race engine, she would blow my numbers completely out of the water and half a minute after stopping the jumping jacks she was back close to her resting pulse. I guess there is something to be said about being a bit of a tomcat, climbing trees and running with her friends all day long..

Hehe, same here, I sweat real easy, just getting down on all four to pick up a coin under the couch will have me perspiring. I don't pant and gasp no more after getting in much better shape on my bike, but for some reason even the smallest bit of effort still has me sweating. I can stand in line at the grocery shop with a basket of goods and built up a sweat.

Ask your doctor for clarification based on heart rates rather then sweating/non-sweating. I can sweat at completely undramatic heart rates, which would essentially cut me off from any kind of exercising including standing in line at the grocery shop, which just can't be right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    well i did get the 6XL jersey it does fit better so i have something to wear now and something when i lose more weight

the 5xl and a couple of weeks ago

and the 6XL

cant weight till i can get into cloths off the rack!!!

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Just keep at it and it will happen!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    way to go, congrats on ur progress and motivation to improve ur health.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast