1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great work, keep up, you're doing great!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    Hey guys,

So long story as short as i can make it, 34 years old 5'10 and back in March i was 410 pounds!!! Due to health issues my doctor demanded i get off my lazy butt and do something about my health or he was just going to stop seeing me. Married with three kids i agreed!

Decided back in March i wanted to ride, simple low impact exercise i can do.. atleast think i can .. So i bought a bike.. talked to the bike shop and we decided on a KHS Aguila.. In my budget, some quality parts.. however due to the weight i can not use the front fork.. Just sitting on the bike fully compresses the fork.. So I bought the bike knowing i would be riding it ridged with no suspension..

So rode it around town a bit, got bored of that found out we have some local trails so the shop owner took me out several times now and having a blast... But I really really really need to get more cardio and riding around here in ontario has limited warm and dry riding times.. and i am not exactly stable on the bike so riding in the wet and slippery trails is not something i choose to do just yet..

So 5 months later, i am down to 365 pounds.. getting better on the bike but still not the greatest and trying to find time to get more time on the bike and increase my cardio.. So i have been looking at buying a trainer for it.. With a spare rim and training tire.. So the days i want to ride i can just jump on it and go.. I have been doing the gym and tired of waiting for a stationary bike to come free and when they do it just does not feel or ride the same.

My questions is, I can't find weight limits for the trainers.. I am looking at buying a cycleops Fluid 2 trainer, read some where that they have been tested to like 300 pounds.. So i think if i ride it with caution ( Sitting down ) then it should not be an issue.

So questions.. And yes i have been told at the trail "Some people should just stay home and ride the couch" so if you feel that way by all means move along..

1) Will i have issues with the trainer??

2) Anyone care to share suggestions one what targets ( Heart rate? ) i should be aiming for to burn fat... while i have lost weight i have lost most of it on my legs, i have nice looking legs and calfs (So my wife says) but i have not lost in the upper body.

3) Anyone know where i can find a 6 or a 7XL cycing shirt.. lol I found a 5XL at Love2Pedal which i wear 5XL T-Shirts and they are slightly baggy so i figured a 5XL cycling shirt would be snug but work out.. As wearing regular shits they get heavy when wet, catch on trees easy and don't breath soo well.. however the 5XL cycling shirt was like trying to squeese into a 3XL tshirt for me

Anyways, When i get my 10 post i will post up a video of my local ride.
    I was in a simlar boat to you man, same age. Remember you will burn way more calories than someone 150lbs... that always made me feel better about almost killing myself on a bike out there. I found that I had personal heart rate zones that were pretty consistant even as my fitness and weight came off. Up to 150 bpm was just annoying, 160 was seriously the worst zone for me and always made me want to stop, 170 got really easy, 180 was my sweet spot and was hard enough I couldn't sit in it very long, 190 was just past the point I thought I was going to puke, 200+ is where I started to get light headed mainly due to not having the lungs for hard riding, and anything 30 seconds or more at 210 would take an hour or two to recover from... my system just hated it.

For clothes, a friend of mine gave me a pair of "liners" that have a crotch cushion in them that were too big for him, and I wear a pair of sweatpants that I cut off at the knee over them, and a normal t-shirt. The reason I went with just normal clothes is it makes it easier for me to just walk out the door and ride for 10 minutes... if I had to suit up all the time I'd never go riding... too much hastle. I wore some 5 year old trainer Nike tennis shoes that I'd had forever and they worked perfectly. I've recently picked up some FiveTens, but that was because my Nikes were falling apart.

The first advise I ever got has been my mantra the whole time... "Just have fun". And that absolutely includes doing what needs to be done to make it easy to have fun. Just get out and spin. Dont worry about computers or gear or hitting that turn just right, just have fun, however and whereever that means to you. I'm on my way to having lost about 60 pounds so far, and last week I had to let some air out of my forks... that was a good feeling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great thread. I am in the same boat. 40 years old and gained about 100 pounds with my 3 kids. Well, my wife had the kids, I got fat. This is very inspiring. I've tried the gym and work out DVDswith no success, in fact I gained 40lbs after I started working out. Definatley doing something wrong there. LOL. I think I see a bike in my future.

mtbr member
    I don't have any really good advice for you. The only thing I can say is GREAT WORK and KEEP IT UP. For me it was 1998 when I started to use biking as method to lose weight. I only needed to lose about 40-50lbs, but all I can say is to stick with it.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Bicycle Radical
    Good work Michael. Keep up the effort and you will see the difference in all other aspects of your life.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Been popping in on your thread occasionally and just wanted to say you're awesome. Inspiration isn't really a strong enough word for how much respect I have for you. Definitely keep up the great work and enjoy yourself out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Keep up the good work OP. No advice on the trainer but its good that you are doing something about your health.

Quote Originally Posted by wade-19 View Post
    Great thread. I am in the same boat. 40 years old and gained about 100 pounds with my 3 kids. Well, my wife had the kids, I got fat. This is very inspiring. I've tried the gym and work out DVDswith no success, in fact I gained 40lbs after I started working out. Definatley doing something wrong there. LOL. I think I see a bike in my future.
    nutrition is a key component to getting healthy. Losing weight is great but you can be skinny and unhealthy as well. When trying to lose weight, you should definitely focus and calorie restriction and eating items that keep you full...items high in protein and fiber. If you have an Iphone a good app to keep on track is myfitnesspal. I use it constantly when I am either trying to bulk up or cut weight....making sure that I am hitting the calories I need with a balance of protein, carbs and fat.

mtbr member
    I cant give to much advise at this point, but Im right here with you. Last winterI weighed 360lbs at 6'2" 30 yrs old. Im not doing as well as you at shedding the weight but I just got back into riding a couple months ago for the same reason, GET HEALTHY!!! So far down to 318lbs now. And thnx for being brave enough to post all this here, gave me more determination knowing though Im 1k miles away from you, Im not the only one out there thats too heavy for a bike but doesnt care cause we will be in shape and healthy soon enough, and can having fun doing it!!! THANKS MAN, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

mtbr member
    Awesome work man. I started at 464, now I'm down to about 375 right now and still plowing away. Riding has been a blessing and a blast with my 3 boys and wife. Nutrition is the most crucial component. I'm not sure how the insurance works up there, here my insurance covers medical treatment for obesity 80%. Once I started seeing a dietician and nutritionist, and having them re-enforce everything I already knew just never applied, things really turned around. I'm huge on keto diets and carb depletion, it's just worked for me and I always get the best blood work results after a keto run. People on the trail have all been awesome down here in Texas, but some people just don't get it, and hold themselves higher for whatever reason. You're doing a great job, keep it up man.

see me rollin, they hatin
    awesome work. as for losing weight in your legs, and not your stomach, theres a myth that you can "spot-lose" when it comes to fat. Yes, you can tone the muscles in certain areas, but fat is different. what i mean is, your body and genetics decide where to put on and lose fat. Just like with women, some are apple shaped, and some are pear shaped. A pear shaped women cannot transform herself into a top-heavy apple, and vice versa. Men tend to hold onto fat in the middle, so keep at it. your body will eventually start burning that belly fat
    fap

oh, and ps. Since getting into riding 4 years ago, i have lost 35 pounds. (from my highest wieght, to lowest weight. i do fluctuate a bit though). Biking helped, but diet was a bigger factor. The great thing about biking though, is i feel it helped maintain what i already did. You can earn yourself a dessert, or undo a dessert

Good thing biking is fun! i could never do the treadmill thing.
    fap

mtbr member
    Ya same here, I grew up as a teenager riding and remembering how much I enjoyed it now. Whats gong to suck for me is when winter comes...... resistance stand for my bike maybe... lol.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Major props to the OP. If you decide to road again, check your local rules about just blocking the whole road. It's what I do on the road when cars can not safely pass. Keep riding

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice job! I went from 247 to 199lbs today mostly from biking. Just keep at it.. ride until it hurts .. keep some music with you and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Major props to the OP. If you decide to road again, check your local rules about just blocking the whole road. It's what I do on the road when cars can not safely pass. Keep riding
    hey, was that a fat joke?

fap

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hello,

Congrats on the weight loss! Awesome! I too am a 'clyde' at 270lbs (started at 320lbs in 2010) and went searching for a trainer last winter. See this thread for full details:

Do I need a better indoor trainer ?

but I was told in the thread that the cycleops is rated up to 1200lbs !

I bought the cycleops and have not had an issue with it. It has an awesome 'quick - release' system and you can literally mount and dismount your bike in 30 seconds. Handy if you like to also ride the bike outside and need numerous mount/dismounts. No complicated mounting procedure.

Keep the tires rolling - your doing great!

I like bikes
    Hey Michael, good job. I too live up here in the great white north. The trainer is a great idea to keep you spinning through the winter. I also snowshoe some of the local trails, just to get outside, and keep my sanity. Might give it a try, it is just like walking, with huge feet, and you get a great low-impact workout. Keep at it buddy, keep chasing singletrack.

FKA Malibu412
    I like this story! Props Michael.

Don't know if you have the trainer yet but I think that is a great idea for your wet weather spinning. I think one should hold up okay. Never know until you try it.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys!!!

Got out today and did the biggest ride of my life so far and while it may not seem like much to most man i really really pushed to do it.. a few moments i had spaghetti legs, and on one of the bigger climbs i almost passed out from not being able to catch my breath.. but i had a freaking blast!!!!

Bike Ride Profile | 2012-09-01 near Caledon | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaz82 View Post
    Nice job! I went from 247 to 199lbs today mostly from biking. Just keep at it.. ride until it hurts .. keep some music with you and enjoy the ride!
    Dam dude that must of been a busy day!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    hey, was that a fat joke?

No, meant to say lane.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaz82 View Post
    I went from 247 to 199lbs today mostly from biking.
    Wow, that must have been one busy day!

I Ride Bikes
    Mike keep up the good work! If you ever make a trip to Hawaii you are more than welcomed to come and ride with the crew down here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    These are a couple of local events that really got me hooked on riding, not just MTB but would love a road bike too

The 24hour race locally
    Home | 2012 Summer Solstice 24hr MTB Race

and then a ontario championship onroad race
    Home | Ontario Championship Race ..

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lambert View Post
    These are a couple of local events that really got me hooked on riding, not just MTB but would love a road bike too

The 24hour race locally
    Home | 2012 Summer Solstice 24hr MTB Race

and then a ontario championship onroad race
    Home | Ontario Championship Race ..
    Michael,

Since you are in the (sometimes) frozen north, have you considered a fatbike? If I lived where it snowed very much, I would have a Pugsley or a Mukluk. Just a thought to get you through the winter.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast