1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Too big of a bike

There is a good deal on a ht bike that I want but it is larger than I usually ride.

Can't I just put a shorter stem on it and lower the seat post? What is the drawback of this?

mtbr member
    Unless the bike you usually ride is too small for you then this is a really bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rightguard View Post
    What is the drawback of this?
    Less standover, front end not weighted correctly, decreased riding pleasure, etc.

mtbr member
    If the bike is too big then the deal is no good. Too big will make the riding uncomfortable and will impact the handling of the bike.

Now it is impossible to say from your post if the bike is really too big for you or just slightly larger than what you are used to, but will still work.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of factors involved here.
    How tall are you? what is your leg length? What bike do you usually ride and in what size?
    What bike are you interested in and in what size?

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ride a specialized enduro large that I like a lot. I'm 5' 11" so I think it fits me well. There is a used stump jumper hard tail xl at a great deal. Always wanted a nice hard tail to just ride around on the streets and some trails.

mtbr member
    If we were talking from a 18.5 to 19 is one thing but your case is maybe a 19 going to 21, could be too tall, too long or both.

This happens a lot, you get a great offer on a smaller or bigger bike and you go for it; after a couple rides you hate the feel and start spending money trying to correct the size mistake with parts to no avail; get the one that fits from the get go and enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    If it is a crazy good deal and you like the componants, you can always buy it and then buy the frame in correct size and switch it over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It would unusual for a 5'11" guy to fit on an XL. Go to the lbs and ride the model in an XL. They can put a shorter stem on it for testing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Same senario but I am 6'2", got a great deal on a new XL spec epic... I love it but wonder if its not even a little big for me... I would think spec sizes run similar through different models

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Reach is one of the more important things in bike fit ,if the top tube is too long you will never feel comfortble on that bike.