1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Toe, middle, or ball??

So should i be peddling with my toe, middle or ball of my foot? i noticed that i pedal more with my toe going uphill and when im on flat surface i use the middle of my foot or the toe. What would be less strenuous?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I find using the ball of my feet to be the least strenuous.

mtbr member
    Zinn recommends the ball of the foot directly over the pedal spindle, or up to 2 cm in front of the spindle.

mtbr member
    On a road bike you set your cleats on your shoes to match up with the balls of your toes and that puts you over the spindle. If you are riding regular pedals I still think you should be using the ball of your toes but if get tired switch to your heals and you will use your hamstrings more than your thighs. Using your heals though is only for when you can sit down and pedal without having to worry about a lot of techi stuff.
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    i tend to slide my feet forward alittle so my foot is centered on the pedal if im doing a rough section so i have more leeway if i get bounced around

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The ball of your foot. It brings your calf muscles into play and uses your ankle for some "suspension".

I post too much.
    It's pedaling, peddling is quite a different thing.

don't thread on me
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    It's pedaling, peddling is quite a different thing.
    Too funny Snaky..or is it two funny!

12gaugehug. Go with clipless pedals. Problem solved.

Oh!, and check out my signature for a little clarification on peddling....
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    what would any of you recommend for a clipless pedal?

AKA Dr.Nob
    Quote Originally Posted by a12gaugehug
    what would any of you recommend for a clipless pedal?
    Doing a search
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Shimano PD-M520. My LBS sells them for $50. They're cheaper than other pedals and you can adjust the tension of the spring while you are learning to ride clipless. To top it all off, your shop will adjust the cleat position for the best fit for your feet.
    Last edited by emtnate; 06-22-2008 at 10:17 AM.