1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Todays the day!..... I hope

Well after many years of not riding a bike I think today will finally be the day to change that. Headed down to the LBS later today with plans on buying my first bike in many years (been well over 10 years) Planning on a Trek Marlin now but we'll see gonna take another look around the shop and likely try out a few.
    Am a quite larger guy so hoping this should finally help me get into shape at least a little.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There are many successful riders like you. Post this in the Clydesdale section for tips on bike selection.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    GL.. and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well went into the LBS and made the move. Bought a Trek Marlin. Bike was on for 20% off till tomorrow so was a good deal too. I tell ya though after 13 or so years since last rode a bike it is TOUGH! Took for a little jaunt once I got home and couldnt believe how little I could do, after a mile I was BEAT! Hoping it gets better pretty quick cause its gonna be tough getting past the discouragement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sooflyfisher View Post
    Well went into the LBS and made the move. Bought a Trek Marlin. Bike was on for 20% off till tomorrow so was a good deal too. I tell ya though after 13 or so years since last rode a bike it is TOUGH! Took for a little jaunt once I got home and couldnt believe how little I could do, after a mile I was BEAT! Hoping it gets better pretty quick cause its gonna be tough getting past the discouragement.
    Congratulations on the new bike. Don't get discouraged. I bought a new bike about a year ago after 10 years of no riding and about 5 years where my only cardio was running back and forth from the couch to the beer fridge. It was tough at first but persevere mate. That's what you've got all those gears for.

Just make sure you get out and ride that new bike. It's amazing how soon you can regain some semblance of fitness and then the riding becomes great fun. Time in the saddle is all you need. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Congrats man. That is awesome. Show a pic. Don't get discouraged. That is fun part you can always get better. Everyone on here is still improving their skills no matter how long they have been riding. And only riding short distances at first will decrease how sore your butt gets. Congrats again.

Hi There!
    Keep at it and don't get discouraged. One of my favorite things about biking, especially mountain biking, is that you see progress every time you ride. There's a lot of joy when you get over an obstacle that you couldn't last time you tried. Stay hydrated.
    NTFTC

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The main thing that keeps me riding is having fun. Everything else is just about making sure I can have fun while I ride, and the details work themselves out. If riding becomes drudgery or a chore. . . . . well, you know how much you look forward to those things.

Riding a mountain bike on trails will steadily increase your fitness, but what really has kicked mine into high gear is long miles on the road. I'm climbing in gears on the trail now that I thought I might not ever happen. And some of my clothes now blow around in the wind instead of clinging like a sausage casing. It's a strange feeling when it has been so long since that happened.

The other thing is a mindset of how often you ride. I went from going when I feel I can, to only skipping a ride when I must. Semantics? Maybe, my mindset is that I will ride unless I absolutely can't.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The main thing that keeps me riding is having fun. Everything else is just about making sure I can have fun while I ride, and the details work themselves out. If riding becomes drudgery or a chore. . . . . well, you know how much you look forward to those things.

I went from going when I feel I can, to only skipping a ride when I must. Semantics? Maybe, my mindset is that I will ride unless I absolutely can't.
    Sounds like me. The other day my wife and I were taking our after dinner walk and I was trying to decide what trail to go to this weekend and she said "why don't you take a day off?" and I was like, "what? I can't wait to go ride". Now, she meant take a weekend off because I don't ride every day, but you get the point.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Don't be discouraged. Enjoy the new bike. Enjoy life at the speed of the bike.
    Look at it this way, if you got a cast removed from a badly broken leg you couldn't sprint to the end of the block. Taking up cycling again is the same way. No worry's though. Your riding now. That is what matters.

mtbr member

Re: Todays the day!..... I hope

I'm in the same boat as you. I look like I ate myself as a kid who last got on a bike 14 years ago. It's now been three weeks on the bike and trust me it gets easier.
    I was scared to death on the test ride around the parking lot, and yesterday I rode over 7 miles of trails. Don't get discouraged, the more you ride the easier it gets.
    Like someone said earlier, head over to the Clydesdales area, that's the spot for any size related questions. The beginners corner is loaded with awesome tips and advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the replies all. I know now more then ever I will have to take it slow and its exactly what I intend to do. I guess it was just a shock to myself of how out of shape I really was. Gonna get out pretty much every day for short rides on the road just trying to slightly inprove over the last ride. Even if that ends up only being 1/4-1/2 mile increments at a time. I'm also in an area where there arent many actually level roads, and even the ones that look level I discover are at that ever so slight incline. On the positive side that should just help me get that much better than I think I'm getting.

I've been spending some time around the Clydesdales area trying to get through all the posts and just learn all I can. Trying to get into this as much as I can, with full intention of getting into it very seriously. I happen to live in an area many people would absolutely love to live in.

Again, thanks all for the replies.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Todays the day!..... I hope

Keep at it. Only way to get better

29ers Forever
    When I started riding it was hard, but after a few rides up steep trails and roads, it became easier. Don't expect much improvement for at least a month of hard riding, and that is if you go out at least once every week on rough trails.
    Don't get discouraged because soon you will be shredding singletrack like Gee Atherton .
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Hi There!
    Keep us updated once a while.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well 3 miles on todays little ride! lol! What I'm finding is the worst of it for me is my cardio and my butt freakin KILLS! I think i got bruises lol! Gonna take some time figuring out seat position and much longer just to get my cardio up. The legs do get sore during the ride but they are mostly the least of the issues. I'll get there I know that and it will take some time. I think I'm ready to accept that and just enjoy the trip to that point. Even if it is still just shorter slow rides along the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good deal. The good times are when your muscles give out before your cardio does. Seat memory will be fine in a week or two. That's the worst part of biking for me! I just got back in 2 months ago after a 10 year hiatus. Good luck!