1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

are the tires too thin?

I am fixing a bike for a friend. His tires are 1.95 width, unbranded, (made in thailand). He hasn't ridden for many years, since a child. Is that width size good enough for light on and off road use for a total beginner? Or he could be more confident on thicker wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is the bike a street/cruiser or is it a mountain bike??? If it will get its share of off road use, I would seriously condiser a 2.1" (wide) tire. Traction and cornering should improve with the wider tire. Some 2.1" XC tires may also be LIGHTER than your current tire. As for added rolling resistance, lets just say many 2.1" XC tires are veeery efficient!!!! Good luck.

mtbr member
    I Agree with DRTRIDR. A 2.1 tire would be the better choice. If cost is an issue just pick up a set of IRC Mythos at pricepoint for $12 a pop.