1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Tires Depth Thread

Rookie here, first post. Purchased a used speacialized dual suspension. I have a question. What is considered a worn tire? My front tire has a deeper depth tread than my rear one. Please advise. Thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires Depth Thread-20140713_104838.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Worn is when it doesn't stick to the ground lol.. Xc tires are smaller knobs.. Great for hard packed dirt but they don't really grab well when the terrain gets loose. The rears wear faster because thats where the weight and power is.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

local trails rider
    Do you have the same tyre model front and rear?
    Manufacturers and riders often mix models, so that there's more grippy tyre in front and a better rolling tyre in the rear. A more worn rear tyre can give the same effect.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert2420 View Post
    What is considered a worn tire?
    That one looks like it's in good shape. Some folks consider them worn when those little lines in the knobs (sipes) disappear. I consider them worn when they stop behaving how I'm used to them behaving, or I start ripping knobs off (looking at you, Kenda)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Adding to what others said, worn can also be considered a tire with good threads, but with a worn rubber due to long exposure to humidity for instance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The front tire has a diffrent pattern. There also tubeless

Fat-tired Roadie
    Some people seem to replace their tires every ten minutes or so. They say they've worn the edges off the knobs.

In terms of mechanical function, you can wear a tire down to wear the fabric casing is exposed.

I think some middle ground makes sense for most of us. If there are design features that you've worn away, and you believe they did something, that's not a bad indicator. It also implies that your tread's lower than it used to be.

Much as I hate to admit it, I tend to get bored of tires, or sometimes do some structural damage to them, before I wear them out.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx