1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Tired of falling and scaping knees and shins to bits - recommend leg protection

I now have matching scapes all up my left leg to match those on my right. I like to wear skirts to work in the summer!! help! Can you guys recommend some knee/shin guards that are good for beginners that aren't too stiff and won't mess me up while learning to ride?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I bought these recently.

Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee Pad Armor and Pads Reviews

So far, so good. Good protection for the money, not very intrusive, and they get good reviews. They should help keep your legs pretty.

mtbr member
    Try these out. Supposedly the new design is great and comfortable. Sixsixone Evo Knee Guard

But I think some better advice would be how to help you from falling so much. What kind of riding do you do and why did you crash?
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    I now have matching scapes all up my left leg to match those on my right. I like to wear skirts to work in the summer!! help! Can you guys recommend some knee/shin guards that are good for beginners that aren't too stiff and won't mess me up while learning to ride?

Thanks!
    I wear G-Form knee pads and they are so comfortable I am never aware they are on my legs unless I fall. Unlike some pads I have tried that are constantldy slipping down and require pulling up, they stay put during the longest rides.

The website below has a size chart based on measuring around your knee with a flexible tape. Before ordering mine I called the company and they recommended going one size larger than indicated by the chart. For example, my knee measures 16 inches around which would be X-Large on the chart. Instead, I ordered XX-Large and the fit is perfect. Excellent company guarantee as well--if you don't like their pads simply return for a full refund. I like the knee pads so well I just ordered their elbow pads. Available colors are black and yellow.

Home - G-Form LLC

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lol...good question! I Think it is usually 100% mental. Last night it was going over a spot that is a narrow turn with little man-made stone steps with small stone wall on each side and trees on either side of those little walls. As I was approaching I said "I don't like this part...then CRASH". So that I believe is all mental.

The other issue I think I am having is not staying back in turns. I'm good and staying back on straights but on turns I think I am too far forward and maybe even trying to lean into (or maybe out of) the turn. I watch so many videos and read great advice but as soon as I hit the trail I feel like I forget everything!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you for the awesome recs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thank you for the awesome recs!
    On the G-Form pads, I mentioned ordering one size larger than indicated in the chart but that applies only to knee pads. If you decide to get elbow pads as well, then go with what the size chart recommends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks. The G-Forms look super comfortable and online reviews are great. I think I might grab a pair of the knee pads. Looks like they offer some higher shin protection too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been using the GForm pads for long distance skateboarding and they do work nice, very comfortable and they do stay up. I found that trying them on at a shop was the way to go on size. I think I figured I was between M and L on the size and ended up with L on the elbow and XL on the knee pads based on fit. The pads have a silicone rubber band on top that makes them stick in place and it does not seem like that will stretch out over time like simple elastic will.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    I've been using the GForm pads for long distance skateboarding and they do work nice, very comfortable and they do stay up. I found that trying them on at a shop was the way to go on size. I think I figured I was between M and L on the size and ended up with L on the elbow and XL on the knee pads based on fit. The pads have a silicone rubber band on top that makes them stick in place and it does not seem like that will stretch out over time like simple elastic will.
    As you say, trying them on is best but no shop in my area stocks them so I ordered mine direct from G-Form. If you purchase anything from them and it does not fit, just call them and they will send you a pre-paid shipping lable for returning for a different size. Great people to deal with and they really stand behind their product. .

mtbr member
    Lol...good question! I Think it is usually 100% mental. Last night it was going over a spot that is a narrow turn with little man-made stone steps with small stone wall on each side and trees on either side of those little walls. As I was approaching I said "I don't like this part...then CRASH". So that I believe is all mental.

The other issue I think I am having is not staying back in turns. I'm good and staying back on straights but on turns I think I am too far forward and maybe even trying to lean into (or maybe out of) the turn. I watch so many videos and read great advice but as soon as I hit the trail I feel like I forget everything!
    A trick to turns is to remember to keep your outside pedal down and the inside pedal up. Lean the bike in but not your body. This helps maximize your tires' traction and balance. Stay loose, arms bent, heels down, and head up. Part of the mental part is when you think about it you lose focus and start too look down. When this happens you are not ready for what is coming up and it's too late to react.

Back to the knee pads... Stop by your lbs and try them on. Ask to go for a short test ride with them on. They may say no but it never hurts to ask. Pick the ones the feel the best.
    Since you said you like to wear skirts you may also look at some shin guards as well.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.