1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Tire width and rim width recomendations

I ride the normal 2.1 X 26 tire. The rims I have are a Forte brand Xenduro. They seem to be ok. I haven't had to true them yet and I've hit some heavy stuff. However, sometimes when I rip burms real hard I notice on occasion the tire feels as if its going to roll over my rim. I've noticed when the tire is low it wants to roll over the rim even more. That being said, I want a larger tire...maybe a 2.4 X 26 since I'm starting to hit bigger jumps and larger drops. Does anyone have experience with the rims I use? Also, can anyone share what they have gained when going from a 2.1 tire to a larger tire like a 2.4? Will the rim width I have be ok if I up my tire width?

Cheers, mtbfan2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfan2 View Post
    I ride the normal 2.1 X 26 tire. The rims I have are a Forte brand Xenduro. They seem to be ok. I haven't had to true them yet and I've hit some heavy stuff. However, sometimes when I rip burms real hard I notice on occasion the tire feels as if its going to roll over my rim. I've noticed when the tire is low it wants to roll over the rim even more. That being said, I want a larger tire...maybe a 2.4 X 26 since I'm starting to hit bigger jumps and larger drops. Does anyone have experience with the rims I use? Also, can anyone share what they have gained when going from a 2.1 tire to a larger tire like a 2.4? Will the rim width I have be ok if I up my tire width?

Cheers, mtbfan2
    If you are not liking the squirm of the 2.1 you will hate the performance of a 2.4 on your rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What will I gain getting a 2.4 versus what I ride now?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you're running a 2.1" on a relatively narrow XC type rim and it's squirming, you could run more tire pressure and that should help.

Running a 2.4" tire on a narrow rim is not a great idea, especially if you're experiencing 'squirm' with 2.1" tires already. It will squirm even more.

If you're not up to running more pressure on your current setup, you might think about some wider rims, especially if you possibly want to run 2.4" tires at some point. If you're hitting bigger jumps and drops, you'll probably have to upgrade those wheels one way or another. Something like a Mavic 321/521/721 or Stans Flow (among many others that) would work well for you in both matters of strength and getting rid of that squirming sensation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ok. Thanks!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfan2 View Post
    However, sometimes when I rip burms real hard I notice on occasion the tire feels as if its going to roll over my rim. I've noticed when the tire is low it wants to roll over the rim even more.
    How low of a tire pressure are we talking here?

Also; it's spelled "berms".
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Usually it's the back tire that feels like that, and usually you can run higher psi in the rear and still likey. Also, some frames might not fit a 2.4 in rear but will in front. I like a bigger, wider, more knobie, rounder profile tire up front. Find it just gives me a better balance of traction. Seems like that's somewhat of a trend round my parts now also.
    Round and round we go