1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Tire Width Question

I had a pair of 2.3 width tires on my mountain bike. The front tire was damaged after a crash, a tear on the side of tire. I was wondering if it'll make a huge handling difference if I put a different width tire on the front when I replace it, like a 2.2? Just wondering since I've not had any luck so far finding a 2.3 tire, but still looking.

Thanks for your time.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Tire selection is such an intimate question. What I love others hate. Most people in my parts run 2.1s or smaller.

I Have Cookies
    2.35" will work ok, what brand did you have on? Because not al 2.3 tires are created equal.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Fat-tired Roadie
    The width difference won't be hugely important, but a different rubber compound or tread pattern could make a lot of difference.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    2.35" will work ok, what brand did you have on? Because not al 2.3 tires are created equal.....
    Continental Vertical Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    The width difference won't be hugely important, but a different rubber compound or tread pattern could make a lot of difference.
    Ah, okay I'll have to check into that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ran into the same thing.
    Kid on the bike floor at w/m tried to tell me "all tires in these numbers are the same." We all know that's total BS!
    I wanted to try a kevlar as they're supposed to be tougher. With my wt in riding setup at 250# I feel a real need for a better quality tire for rocks and general riding just hitting anything can bust one quick.

Ended up getting a rolled up tire that when opened, turned out to be a 1.95, replaced a 2.3 unmarked. Expect that's going backwards to my needs. I do have another old woman's bike that needs tires so this will likely end up on it before long. Once I find the one I need.

Am totally disappointed in the LBS. Fancy bldg, been there 15-20yrs. First time in right after opening it was stuffed with fancy new bikes. Yesterday I spilled the balls out of the rear bearing & couldn't find the last one. So I went down there. He does have a nice selection of older collectors items, maybe 30 bikes in all, or more. Not a new one in sight. less than ten new tires on the rack, very little other stock. Total dope head type guy that's partner in the place. Even told me that bearing was fine when it was obviously missing a ball. Since he had them, I got one and put it in. Fits just like a bearing is supposed to. I've been around mechanic's over 60yrs so I KNOW what bearings look like.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLD
    I ran into the same thing.
    Kid on the bike floor at w/m tried to tell me "all tires in these numbers are the same." We all know that's total BS!
    I wanted to try a kevlar as they're supposed to be tougher. With my wt in riding setup at 250# I feel a real need for a better quality tire for rocks and general riding just hitting anything can bust one quick.

Ended up getting a rolled up tire that when opened, turned out to be a 1.95, replaced a 2.3 unmarked. Expect that's going backwards to my needs. I do have another old woman's bike that needs tires so this will likely end up on it before long. Once I find the one I need.

Am totally disappointed in the LBS. Fancy bldg, been there 15-20yrs. First time in right after opening it was stuffed with fancy new bikes. Yesterday I spilled the balls out of the rear bearing & couldn't find the last one. So I went down there. He does have a nice selection of older collectors items, maybe 30 bikes in all, or more. Not a new one in sight. less than ten new tires on the rack, very little other stock. Total dope head type guy that's partner in the place. Even told me that bearing was fine when it was obviously missing a ball. Since he had them, I got one and put it in. Fits just like a bearing is supposed to. I've been around mechanic's over 60yrs so I KNOW what bearings look like.
    Like any other business there are good and bad bike shops. Hit them where it hurts at their wallets so hopefully another owner will move in and run it correctly.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    This is a very good post. Tread pattern and compound makes all of the difference. See what others use in your area and see what you like.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.