1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Tire tube

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: somexiridemybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    116

    Tire tube

    So I got to the trails the other day only to find out I had a flat. Idk how. Idk y but the front tire was flat. I had an ancient tube from my old diamondback which sufficed for now but it's pretty old and I'd like to get a couple new tubes. One to replace this one and then at least one more as a spare. What should I look for? Any recommendations? I have a felt q620 (26" rims). Thanks all.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,319
    Whatever your local shop sells. No need to get fancy with tubes. For a few bucks just replace both with fresh new tubes and ride happy.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,252
    Just get tubes with the same valve type - presta or schrader. The hole in the rim is bigger for schrader.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sickmak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    651
    I've never paid attention to what brand tube I get. I usually just buy el cheapos from ***** sporting good.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by somexiridemybike View Post
    So I got to the trails the other day only to find out I had a flat. Idk how. Idk y but the front tire was flat. I had an ancient tube from my old diamondback which sufficed for now but it's pretty old and I'd like to get a couple new tubes. One to replace this one and then at least one more as a spare. What should I look for? Any recommendations? I have a felt q620 (26" rims). Thanks all.
    Buy 3 at least. 2 for bike, and one for your spares kit. Or buy 4. One for home spares, 2 for the bike and one for trail kit. Personaly I like to have spare tube at home so that I can replace it without needing to run to the LBS. Plus I can keep my trail spare just in case. I hate to ride on the trail without a spare.

    I got my tubes on line from Pricepoint in group of 5.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    Yeah, there aren't too many factors to weigh in your tube-buying decision. Rim size and valve were already mentioned. Also, you can get tubes for different diameter tires, so don't get the skinny tubes if you have big DH tires. Usually the tubes will list the tire diameter range on the box.

    I keep 2 spares. One always stays in the pack (along with patch kit). One in garage as a backup so I don't have to run out to get a new one if one of the tubes is pooched. Patch as necessary and I don't need any more than this.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,060
    Personally I don't patch my tubes. Seems like its not worth the effort and risk of it leaking again. Just spend a few bucks at put in a new tube. Most of my flats are thorns so just because I get one spot does not mean I did not also have another. I keep a patch kit along with my tube on the trail just incase I get 2 flats on one ride I have some way to possibly make it home.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Personally I don't patch my tubes. Seems like its not worth the effort and risk of it leaking again. Just spend a few bucks at put in a new tube. Most of my flats are thorns so just because I get one spot does not mean I did not also have another. I keep a patch kit along with my tube on the trail just incase I get 2 flats on one ride I have some way to possibly make it home.
    Patches have worked well for me, but to each his own. By the time I throw out a tube, it's covered in patches.

    Bringing patches in addition to a spare tube on the trail is a really good idea but surprisingly few people do this. You could carry 2 tubes, but this is extra bulk for a (hopefully) rare occurrence. Also if you bring a patch kit, it's easier to help out another rider with a flat by giving them a patch rather than your spare.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JasonScottCarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    99
    Been using the Bell 26 inch universal tubes Wal-Mart sells. No problems unless I hit a thorn. Never had a tire go flat other than thorns.

  10. #10
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    I've never paid attention to what brand tube I get. I usually just buy el cheapos from ***** sporting good.
    They are avenirs and are actually pretty nice imo. They actually have a nice feel to it. Some of the reviews I see on amazon are such a joke, been working there as a tech for 4 years and have never had an issue. I think people don't know how to install and inflate presta tubes correctly.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

  11. #11
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    ^^This^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Patches have worked well for me, but to each his own. By the time I throw out a tube, it's covered in patches.

    Bringing patches in addition to a spare tube on the trail is a really good idea but surprisingly few people do this. You could carry 2 tubes, but this is extra bulk for a (hopefully) rare occurrence. Also if you bring a patch kit, it's easier to help out another rider with a flat by giving them a patch rather than your spare.
    By the time I retire a tube, it usually has 8-10 patches on it. I'll keep a tube longer than a tire.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: somexiridemybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    116
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate the replies. I figured I was putting too much thought into this. Ill just pick up some cheapies from amazon......i think 6-7 bucks a piece.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    207
    How well do those green slime tubes work? For basic torns and stuff, does it just keep going?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reign2Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Patches have worked well for me, but to each his own. By the time I throw out a tube, it's covered in patches
    Me too, I probably have about 8 patches on my front tube at the moment. Bloody thorns. I'm thinking about tubeless...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •