1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Tire puncture a problem? Tube is fine.

Hey all,

I managed to get a nice flat over the weekend when I tired bunny hopping a mud patch and my rear tire landed on a small knife-edge of a rock that I didn't see. It punctured the tube and tire, and I was able to get a spare tube to fix it up, and ride on for the day.

My question now is, should I do anything to try and fix the tire? Any type of patch I should put on the inside surface? Duct tape? Thanks!

~Phosphor
    I like mountains. I like seas. I do not like mountainous seas.

local trails rider
    Are the tire punctures big enough to let sand and stuff get on the inside?

Some holes in tires may be fixed with glue.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How big was the tire puncture? If you were able to put a new tube in a ride away, seems like it was a small puncture and shouldn't be a problem. You can superglue any small holes to help the tire held together in the long run.

Now if it was a big puncture, the kind you have to put a tire boot inside to keep the tube from coming through, you need to replace the tire as tire boots are just meant for temporary use.

mtbr member
    The tire puncture is a bit less than a centimeter wide slit, basically. I was able to ride another 2 miles without any tube problems, so I'm leaning towards just plugging it up with glue to avoid any sand and particulates getting in.
    I like mountains. I like seas. I do not like mountainous seas.

local trails rider
    The glue may do it OK if it is in an area where the glue has some surface to stick to.

I've only had slits in tire sidewalls (from sharp rocks...) and they deteriorate into bulges that let the tube peek out. Not good.

mtbr member
    Shoe Goo works pretty good for stuff like that.
    If you cut some cords in the tire carcass however, it weakens that whole section of the tire and it could blow out later. A tube patch on the inside of the tire might be a good idea to distribute the force in that area.

local trails rider
    Tube patches stretch a lot, just like tubes. If you want to put a patch there, use something more rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Tube patches stretch a lot, just like tubes. If you want to put a patch there, use something more rigid.
    Like what?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can put a boot over the cut inside the tire (Park makes some), but you're asking for trouble riding it like that.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TB-2...1173624&sr=8-1

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Like what?
    My attempts with tube patches and pieces of tube did not work, so I deemed those tyres a loss. I don't have any specific products in mind but what I tried did not do me any good. I guess duct tape does not stretch much but it might leave abrasive areas against the tube...