Thread: tire psi

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

tire psi

i am new to the sport of biking and i was just wondering if some one could tell me what they run there psi's at on there tires

Domestic Fowl
    Quote Originally Posted by kilelr313
    i am new to the sport of biking and i was just wondering if some one could tell me what they run there psi's at on there tires
    There's a few items to consider when determining tire pressure. First is the rider's weight, second is the type of terrain, and third is riding style.

Basically, you'll need a bit more pressure if you're a heavier rider, you're riding rough, rocky terrain, or if you tend to ride mre aggressively. If your tire pressure is too low, you will tend to get more pinch flats. Pinch flats occur when you hit something hard and the innertube gets pinched between the rim and the hard object. Lower pressure tends to stick a little better to the trail, however. If your tire pressure is too high, your bike will feel kind of squirrely on hard packed surfaces covered with bit of loose dirt.

Another thing to consider is whethe you have a hardtail, or full suspension bike. You can get away with a little lower pressure with a FS bike without pinch flatting because the rear suspension soakes up some of the bump.

I weigh about 165lbs. I ride a hardtail and I usually ride pretty rocky terrain and I'm a pretty aggressive rider. I usually run about 37psi. My grilfriend weighs about 106, isn't quite as aggressive and also rides a hard tail. She runs about 27 psi.

In general, for off road try to run the lowest pressure you can where you're not feeling your rims bump on rocks and you wheels don't feel sloppy. If you're riding on pavement, go ahead and pump them up hard to lower rollign resistance.

Old man on a bike

It somewhat depends on your tire size and type, too

so just a number thrown out there might not help you...what tire are you using?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i am using hutchson scorpian airlights

MD/DC/VA rider
    I am a litter heavier set so i run my psi a little higher .. I usally run my back around 55 and my front at like 50 .. I have a hard tail so i run my back a little higher .. i weigh 185 ..

i also care about rolling resistance cuz i like to go fast

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    why is it that each type of tire needs a diffent psi, when they are both 26x2.0

Trekker
    Mar 2004
    Because your arse and the most weight is on the rear tire. To prevent pinch flats, I go by the min's and max's listed on my Panaracers. They say 35-55 for off road, so I run 35 lbs. in the front and 40 lbs. in the rear. If you run below the minimums, you'll probably get pinch flats. Experiment with it a little bit. If your tires have a minimum of 35 psi, then try 40 on the front and 45 on the rear. The idea of lower tire pressure is "that you are putting more tread on the trail, it will help absorb the bumps, and your rear tire won't spin as easily on climbs". You could also try it near the max. and work your way down. The important thing is that a good tire pressure will make alot of difference with the feel of the bike on the trails. Good riding to you.

MD/DC/VA rider
    the first time i went riding i had my tire pressure set at what my buddy had his set at .. this guy is a lot lighter than me .. i think we were riding no more than 45 mins and i got a pinch flat .. so we change it and i beefed it up alittle .. experimenting is def. the best .. just play around with it

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kilelr313
    why is it that each type of tire needs a diffent psi, when they are both 26x2.0
    A rider typical XC rider has an approx. 40%/60% (F/R) weight distribution on the bike. Many riders add a little more pressure to the rear tires to account for the different weight distribution.

Old man on a bike

Well, I don't know that everyone uses a 26 x 2.0

tire...no one here but kilelr313 mentions a size at all. I use tires from 1.9 to 2.7 depending on the bike and riding conditions. Generally with bike tires the larger the tire the less pressure is required. Check out http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html for all kinds of useful information on tires, including a pressure/size chart.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique