1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Tire change and back brakes arent working (disc)

i have a 2012 trek mamba, and i out new tires on it today, the only problem is now the back disc brake doesnt work the first half of the pull and when it kicks in the disc gets really hot

i cant figure out why, i have had it off before but this is my first disc brake bike lol i took it off a few times and out it back on but it didnt help anything

mtbr member
    Are both pads still on the caliper?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah they are, actually i took it back off and accidentally hit the brake lever and the pads are closed now so i have to figure out how to open them back up haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    check to make sure your rear wheel is aligned correctly in the drop outs. You should hold the rear brake when tightening your QR so it holds the wheel in place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the tip

How do you open the caliper back up? ( both pads are basically touching each other)

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by crestfallinman View Post
    Thanks for the tip

How do you open the caliper back up? ( both pads are basically touching each other)
    -remove wheel and pads
    -take a plastic tire lever, put it in and pry to one side to push piston back into caliper
    -repeat on other side
    -repeat again on first side (b/c pushing in one piston pushes out the other a little)
    -etc. til pistons are retracted
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land