1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Tire Care

mtbr member

Tire Care

Hi Guys,

I cant recall as to seeing this anywhere. But I was wondering is there anything I can do do to my tires to keep the rubber soft, as in not allowing them to become dry and crack?

Any tips would be great guys

Thanks

Jeremy

Will washing them down in dish washing detergent do any harm?

mtbr member
    keep them out of the sun when not riding. other than that, ride them until the tread is gone. if your tire dry-rot before you wear the tread off, that means you didn't ride enough!

mtbr member
    Cheers mack_turtle,

There is no harm washing my tires with dish washing soap or car shampoo right?, actually I dont know if I can use the car shampoo as it has those carnauba wax beads in it,lol

mtbr member
    why would you want to wash your tires?
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

What could go wrong ...
    just hose them off
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Sometimes when I get back from a ride there really dirty, I have to keep my bike in the basement so didn't know if washing them down would be okay with soap. Maybe I will just give them a pass with the hose.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    just hose them off
    Yep. Also, if storing your bike on a concrete floor, such as a backup as a basement or garage, make sure the tires aren't directly on the floor. Rest them on a rug or even a price of cardboard. This will keep them from drying out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Simple Green will actually make them feel stickier! but plain old soap and water won't hurt them any

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would just rinse/wipe the dirt off, let them dry and store them in a cool dry dark place out of the UV, use a really mild soap if you do use soap. I used to run Hoosier slicks on my autocross car, those are amazing when in good shape (soft and sticky), but when they start to dry out you really notice it, especially in the wet. I would take them off the car and bag them when not in use, supposedly that keeps them soft longer. Like stated above, keeping your tires out of direct sunlight will probably have the most benefit, anything else will add small benefits. Just be glad bike tires are not as expensive as race car tires, the cheap sizes in Hoosier slicks are well over $200 ea, and they wear out more quickly than bike tires (at least once a year, and you have to have both dry and wet tires), -which is why I'm now in a street tire category!