1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Time to start a new chapter in life

Hello all! I have been lurking this forum for almost 2 months learning what ever I can to prepare my self to learn how to ride. My brother started riding almost a year ago and has been having a blast. He has offered to show me the ropes on several occasions but I never did join him. Recently I had a daughter to join my young son and after some real thinking I decided I had to make a change and I knew the perfect way. So I started researching bikes attempting to find the right one for me. My budget went from 400 to my final purchase of almost 1300. I decided on the 2013 air Bourne Goblin based on the awesome reviews you all gave it. I look forward to learning a hobby and hopefully starting a positive trend for my health.

mtbr member
    Congratulations on getting the Goblin, I have heard nothing but good things about that bike. You will have to post pictures so we can all see it when you are able to. Enjoy the sport and have fun.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

Level 5 Rider!
    Hey GoblinClyde I did pretty much the same thing. Don't really remember what got me interested in biking again but when I did I started to research bikes and half the time my searches brought me to this site. So I went out and got my bike last week. I have two children as well so all I will say is that I hope you have more time than me for the trails. Still even with limited time you can still have a lot of fun. Good luck!

Cow Clicker
    Congratulations! Don't be afraid to ride it on the road between trips to the trail and get the myfitnesspal app too. It'll get you in shape faster.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Time to start a new chapter in life

Congrats, don't forget a helmet. Costco got a good one for $25 right now or any department store one works. Buy by fit