mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Thoughts on used Giant w/Reba Race?

I'm looking to buy an entry-level hardtail and I've been scouring craigslist for weeks.

I'm really thinking about just waiting for free shipping and signing up for a target card (10% off) and grabbing a Forge Sawback for $340.

Background- I started MTB'ing in 2001 on my mid 90's Iron Horse AT50 lol. Mostly at a local state park on singletrack (horse trails). Though I did take it to the Burma Peak once...my forearms were absolutely killing by the time I got back to the car. Ended up buying a 2003 Giant Iguana Disc and absolutely loved that bike, my first "real" bike. It made riding so much more enjoyable. I had a shoulder injury in summer 04 and sold the bike. I haven't ridden since. Well, I hopped on a neighbors bike to make sure I could handle it after rehabbing my shoulder. Wow, I don't know why I decided to share all that lol, must be the post workout "high".

Anyways, what's the consensus on buying a used bike?

The bike is a 2007 Giant XTC 2 that has:
    - 2008 Reba Race 100mm (silver color)
    - Avid BB7 brakes
    - XT front / Sram X9 rear derailluer
    - 90% Kenda Nevegal tires

The pics he sent are crap, so maybe the bike is beat to ****. He's asking $500obo...so what are your thoughts? Is it hard to rebuild a fork? (I like working on cars and build my own PC's so I'm somewhat savvy with tinkering)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How about this 2008 specialized rockhopper comp - $425
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1672785063.html

He mentions "slight chain rash"...what is that? Where the chain smacks the chain stay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd go for the Giant due to the Reba.