1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Thoughts on used Giant w/Reba Race?

I'm looking to buy an entry-level hardtail and I've been scouring craigslist for weeks.

I'm really thinking about just waiting for free shipping and signing up for a target card (10% off) and grabbing a Forge Sawback for $340.

Background- I started MTB'ing in 2001 on my mid 90's Iron Horse AT50 lol. Mostly at a local state park on singletrack (horse trails). Though I did take it to the Burma Peak once...my forearms were absolutely killing by the time I got back to the car. Ended up buying a 2003 Giant Iguana Disc and absolutely loved that bike, my first "real" bike. It made riding so much more enjoyable. I had a shoulder injury in summer 04 and sold the bike. I haven't ridden since. Well, I hopped on a neighbors bike to make sure I could handle it after rehabbing my shoulder. Wow, I don't know why I decided to share all that lol, must be the post workout "high".

Anyways, what's the consensus on buying a used bike?

The bike is a 2007 Giant XTC 2 that has:
    - 2008 Reba Race 100mm (silver color)
    - Avid BB7 brakes
    - XT front / Sram X9 rear derailluer
    - 90% Kenda Nevegal tires

The pics he sent are crap, so maybe the bike is beat to ****. He's asking $500obo...so what are your thoughts? Is it hard to rebuild a fork? (I like working on cars and build my own PC's so I'm somewhat savvy with tinkering)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How about this 2008 specialized rockhopper comp - $425
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1672785063.html

He mentions "slight chain rash"...what is that? Where the chain smacks the chain stay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd go for the Giant due to the Reba.