1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Thoughts . . . Giant Anthem X 29er or Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp 29er?

I have been looking for a new full suspension bike and had pretty much settled on a new older model Giant Trance X3 (26er) when news came out about significant updates to this line's 2011s.

1. Tapered (stronger) HT,
    2. slightly slacker HT angle,
    3. 10 speed cassette,
    4. straight TT (no longer the little dip in TT)

With this news, in addition to considering the new Giant Trance X3s, I also began giving greater consideration to the 29ers as has been recommended by a number of members here. Being a bit taller (6'3" 220) the geometry on this bike is appealing. After considering a number of 29er bikes, I narrowed my selection to two bikes:

2011 Giant Anthem X 29er:
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/04/18/...mountain-bike/
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 (2010 info):
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...Id=0&gold_ses=

(Neither have current models on on their company sites yet . . . this is the closest internet info I have).

If both bikes are within aprox. $200 of each other, which would you recommend?

The type of riding I am looking to do will include some small/moderate jumps/drops of 3-4' and about equal uphill and downhill. It is my understanding that the Anthem has about 4" of travel to the Stumjumper's 5". Ideally, I think I would like to see a Trance 29er.

Questions:
    1. Does one bike seem stronger and more durable? Does one stand out as a better performer and better "investment" in terms of being a better platform to grow with and later maybe upgrade . . . overall, which would be the better way to go?

Finally:
    2. Does anyone know about the frame warranties (is either (or both) lifetime?)?
    3. What kind of discounts off MSRP would you consider good or reasonable from a LBS?

Any other thoughts/advice?

I very much appreciate your help with this-- thank you very much!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Short travel

I ride the Anthem X for the past year, and it is a great and durable and very versatile bike. It replaced my 6" Santa Nomad...and it made me understand the huge advantages that short travel bring. After testing few 29ers lately, I tend now to believe that the combination of short travel and large wheels is optimal for almost all situations. Having said that, i recommend the anthem's 4" over the Stumpy's 5". If at all, I would consider the Epic 29er as an alternative to the Giant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benkidron
    I ride the Anthem X for the past year, and it is a great and durable and very versatile bike. It replaced my 6" Santa Nomad...and it made me understand the huge advantages that short travel bring. After testing few 29ers lately, I tend now to believe that the combination of short travel and large wheels is optimal for almost all situations. Having said that, i recommend the anthem's 4" over the Stumpy's 5". If at all, I would consider the Epic 29er as an alternative to the Giant.
    What's your opinion on the Giant Maestro suspension? Do you consider it efficient?

I'm considering the new Giant Anthem 29. Hoping it doesn't weigh much.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Speed per $

The Maestro is up there with the best. I like it better than the VPP. Feels quite the same as the FSR. BTW- I like the Treks system, and the Fuel EX is a great bike as well.
    The 29ers are a bit heavier, but the weight is easily worth it, and in practice is not noticeable. Remember that Decker won the D race with this aluminium Anthem 29, over his teammate who rode the Trance advanced (carbon). The Anthem 29 frame is some 250gr heavier than the 26 frame, plus the extra weight of the tires and rims, I assume that you end up with a total extra of 800 gram over the 26 version. The larger wheels, in most situations, will give you the comfort of an extra inch of travel- that would have weigh extra kilos as well. But while extra travel gives you mostly extra comfort, the larger wheels deal gives you more speed, more pulling, braking and cornering traction, with the added huge advantage of short travel for better pedaling reaction. It also enables lower BB, due to the short travel, and lower BB means better balance, maneuverability and speed. This all sounds academic, but believe me, it works for you in an evident manner in real life. Forget calculations- with 29 you will just end up being faster per $.
    Sorry for my broken English.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    What's your opinion on the Giant Maestro suspension? Do you consider it efficient?

I'm considering the new Giant Anthem 29. Hoping it doesn't weigh much.
    Maestro is one of the finest suspension packages made currently. Anthem 29er can be built very very light...my 2010 Anthem X 26er is barely 22 pounds!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"