1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Thinking about purchasing '10 GF Wahoo

Found a local guy selling a '10 GF Wahoo for $250. This would be my first "decent" non-bigboxbike. I verified it's the medium 17.5" frame which should fit my height. Any reservations? Would eventually like to upgrade some components of the bike as I start riding more, but for now, just casual rides on paved trails with the family. It's the V-brake version, which is unfortunate. But it's the green one and it looks really nice. In decent shape, going to ride it tonight.

Should $250 net me a better beginner bike? I've been looking at the bikesdirect bikes and they look pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Seems like a good deal for that price considering it's the right size and a new one is somewhere in the $500 range. You could always make some upgrades to it in the future or get a nicer bike down the road....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I have seen a few Specialized Hardrocks on the local craigslist for around $120, but they looked quite worn and abused. The Hardrock seems to be the beginner bike of choice. Either those or the GF Marlin were what I was looking for then this Wahoo showed up. I think I'll spring for it assuming everything works as nice as it looks. I don't want to get too crazy on my first bike, but I also want something that is a good platform for upgrades.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just FYI - I ended up buying the bike for $250. As soon as I stepped on it I was sold pretty much, but when I took it for a ride I was thrilled. It was just on a small golf course park trail that was paved, but it was an amazing ride. I can't imagine what the more expensive bikes are like to ride, this thing is butter smooth and fast.

Out of curiosity - how difficult would it be to add disc brakes to this? I think I'll take it to the LBS to get it tuned up - I asked the guy if he had ever had it tuned and he said no. He just rode it whenever he felt like riding and was giving up the MTB for a hybrid or comfort cruiser. All in all - I'm very pleased with my purchase and should have done it sooner. I'll never buy another walmart bike for myself or my family.

mtbr member

Thinking about purchasing '10 GF Wahoo

Congrats man!! Not sure about the disc brake upgrades but there are lots of threads on here about that very subject I'm sure. Check out the Trek sun forum as well - I've learned a lot from those guys and girls over there. Have fun pedaling!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks!! I will! I'm eager to get it out on the trails now. Hopefully this weekend is nice.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Thinking about purchasing '10 GF Wahoo

No pics? Wtf?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is the only one I have and it came from the craigslist post. It's in great condition though, needs some TLC, but he took good care of it.

Thinking about purchasing '10 GF Wahoo-gf_wahoo_2010.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    To answer your question about upgrading to disc brakes, you will need to purchase a new disc compatible wheelset, which you can get for about $100 new on eBay. I'd ride it just the way it is until your rims wear out, then I'd consider upgrading.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, I haven't had trouble with the brakes that are on it. I haven't checked the pads, but I didn't get the impression the guy I bought it from (original purchaser and owner) rode all that much. Just something for the future. I noticed it had the disc tabs on the front and rear. It looks like the rear rubber is pretty well worn in the center so probably just a lot of street use. Otherwise the bike is in great condition, and I'll use it as-is after a tune-up from the LBS. I'm thinking about following the maintenance guide for cleaning that's here on the MTBR forums. Then again maybe I should just take it to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You can probably just pick up some Tektro brake pads and that should fix the brakes. Per Bikepedia, here is what kind of brakes you have:

Tektro TK-845AL linear pull brakes