Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 89
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104

    Thinking about buying from Bikesdirect

    Anyone know if the gravity 29 point 2 would be a good first serious mtb? it's $549 and has deore derailers, avid bb5 brakes, a rockshox dart 3 fork, and alivio shifters, which are great components for the price, but I don't know if the frame is any good. I'm not sure who makes the frame, as gravity is a bikesdirect brand, hence the cheap price. I've heard rumors that they're made by kinesis, but I can't tell. They do have a resemblance to expensive walmart frames, but they use a different headset and the tubes seem to be different. Also, what size would be better, 19" or 21"? I'm 5'11" and growing.
    Thanks for the help, Nick

  2. #2
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Get fitted at your local bike shop so you know what size frame you need . Then buy a bike while your there

  3. #3
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    One thing to keep in mind with the BD bikes and their low prices is that you are not getting the bike-shop build and post-sale service which shed ~$100-$200 off their prices compared to a bike shop. A shop bike with similar components should be around $750. Just email BD and ask about sizing; they seem to be able to tell most people what they will ride based on a few measurements. These bikes look pretty good and I am sure the frame is no better/worse in terms of quality than what you will buy for <$1000 at a shop. With the 29er, you don't want to buy big just to grow into it; the bike will be huge and hard to handle on the trails. At your height 19" seems about right.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  4. #4
    DynoDon
    Reputation: manabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,667
    You'll have to pay to adjusts the bike if you don't have the know how, and tools, its alway good stuff to know, tools pay for themselves in the long run, youtube, parktool.com, and a good book like Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance.
    If this all sounds like too much, its a good time to buy a bike at the LBS with the 2012s coming in, demo bikes are a great deal with full warranties, tune ups, discount on shop purchases too. You will need tools, clothes, shoes, etc. the starter bike is about half the cost of riding. Sure you can buy most things online, but helmets, gloves, shoes, clothes are best tried on, so the discount on store purchases for a year is something to consider too.
    Good Luck
    Four wheels transport the body,

    Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    506
    You may want to look at jensonusa.com. Name brand bikes, good prices. They say the bike is "pro built" however I did need to take my Jamis (which i purchased from Jenson) to my LBS for some final adjustments. Bars needed to be torqued to spec, issue with rear derailleur out of alignment etc. Not too bad. Cost was $39.00. To me worth the savings buying online.

    I do support LBS> I bought my pump, gloves etc from them.

    Personally if you have an idea about frame size Jenson is a good deal especially on older models. My Jamis is an o9.

    Either way you go, have fun.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    If you have a Trek dealer nearby, you can try out the Marlin as a fitment guide for the Gravity 29.2 since the geometry is nearly identical. The only difference between a Marlin and a 29.2 is 0.2 degrees difference in the head tube angle and the Marlin uses the G2 proprietary fork offset. These things may have a slight effect on handling but should make no difference at all in proper fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    If you have a Trek dealer nearby, you can try out the Marlin as a fitment guide for the Gravity 29.2 since the geometry is nearly identical. The only difference between a Marlin and a 29.2 is 0.2 degrees difference in the head tube angle and the Marlin uses the G2 proprietary fork offset. These things may have a slight effect on handling but should make no difference at all in proper fit.



    Yeah and when you go into the LBS to test fit bikes make sure you tll them that your going to buy one online, that your just there to get proper sizing, you have no intentions of buying a bike from them. And yes I neg repped you for that advice.

  8. #8
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    If you have a Trek dealer nearby, you can try out the Marlin as a fitment guide for the Gravity 29.2 since the geometry is nearly identical. The only difference between a Marlin and a 29.2 is 0.2 degrees difference in the head tube angle and the Marlin uses the G2 proprietary fork offset. These things may have a slight effect on handling but should make no difference at all in proper fit.



    Why punk the LBS?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Yeah and when you go into the LBS to test fit bikes make sure you tll them that your going to buy one online, that your just there to get proper sizing, you have no intentions of buying a bike from them. And yes I neg repped you for that advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Why punk the LBS?
    Yes, and I am ghe first person in the history of MTBR to give this advice right? Hell no, I read this same advice multiple times a day, try out bikes at the LBS to determine proper fitment before buying online. Floyd, your neg rep is not surprising at all since it is abvious you hate BD and everyone who buys from them. Only thing I can't understand is why the heck you even bother to read a thread that cleerly states its about BD bikes. Id give you some rep back but your not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Yes, and I am ghe first person in the history of MTBR to give this advice right? Hell no, I read this same advice multiple times a day, try out bikes at the LBS to determine proper fitment before buying online. Floyd, your neg rep is not surprising at all since it is abvious you hate BD and everyone who buys from them. Only thing I can't understand is why the heck you even bother to read a thread that cleerly states its about BD bikes. Id give you some rep back but your not worth it.


    No I don't hate people that buy from BD, hate is such terrible thing. I do however do not like someone that would openly advocate "punking" the LBS, a practice that is so low and underhanded, but coming from you I should not be surprised. And please don't use the excuse that " I read this same advice multiple times a day ", that just attempts to diffuse responsibility for ones actions. You posted it, man up and own it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Whatever Floyd, like I said, not worth my time. You decided you don't like me and will neg rep me every time you can so....................
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    OH noes! I got neg repped, I don't know how I will go on. Go ahead, be punks and punk the LBS.

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: roadie scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    If you have a Trek dealer nearby, you can try out the Marlin as a fitment guide for the Gravity 29.2 since the geometry is nearly identical. The only difference between a Marlin and a 29.2 is 0.2 degrees difference in the head tube angle and the Marlin uses the G2 proprietary fork offset. These things may have a slight effect on handling but should make no difference at all in proper fit.


    IMHO, you would have to be a tool of the highest magnitude to pull some sleazy crap like this.

  14. #14
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    If you have a Trek dealer nearby, you can try out the Marlin as a fitment guide for the Gravity 29.2 since the geometry is nearly identical. The only difference between a Marlin and a 29.2 is 0.2 degrees difference in the head tube angle and the Marlin uses the G2 proprietary fork offset. These things may have a slight effect on handling but should make no difference at all in proper fit.
    Spoken like a true noob. A 0.2 degree head tube angle combined with the G2 offset makes a HUGE difference in the handling of the bike. The reach would be similar but the Marlin would destroy the Gravity when you got them out on the trail.

    aedubber gave you the right advice. Go to a bike shop, then get a bike at a bike shop.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    I got my first bike from bikes direct. Everything was already setup. Only things to assemble were the front wheel, bars, pedals and seat.

  16. #16
    Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,914
    Ever wonder why so few people who've been riding for a while buy BD bikes when they decide they want a new bike or frame?

    I don't.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    OH noes! I got neg repped, I don't know how I will go on. Go ahead, be punks and punk the LBS.
    Wasn't me, like I said, you're not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    56

    No good bd

    is it worth saving a few bucks to be a tool. find a good lbs in your area and support them with your buisness. i agree bd sux.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    141
    At the 500 dollar price range absolutely. You will not find a good bike at an LBS shop. If he wants a 29er he will end up with Atlus level components, a worse fork, and worse breaks.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lurchlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    99
    Go to a LBS, tell them how much money you have and the bike you want to buy online and ask them if they can get you an equal or better deal. They'll show you some bikes and you can get an idea of what size bike you need and nobody will have to see Ashton Kutcher pop out of the woodwork.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raleigh5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Ever wonder why so few people who've been riding for a while buy BD bikes when they decide they want a new bike or frame?

    I don't.

    yes, i wonder. unless this was a rhetorical question?

  22. #22
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Get fitted at your local bike shop so you know what size frame you need . Then buy a bike while your there
    Well said, especially the first answer. I'd rep ya but I just did not too long ago gotta wait so you are on my hit list

  23. #23
    Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,914
    It was a rhetorical question, but I guess I don't mind answering.

    When someone buys a first bike, buying from a shop actually does add some value. Test-riding several different bikes is very important, starting with a bike that has everything tuned properly makes it much easier to learn to maintain the bike, and a ton of people end up paying their LBS quite a lot of money to set up their BD bikes. So the savings disappear.

    When someone buys a second bike, it tends to be more expensive. One of my teammates actually did go with BD for that - with a good reference bike, I think buying a bike from the geometry chart is not a bad strategy. But there are a lot of really beautiful frames floating around the 'net for not much money, so there's no reason to go with BD either. I already have a mental list of a few hardtail frames I'd love to upgrade to if I had some more money to throw around.

    If someone's buying a second bike in a different class from the first, he's really back to square one as far as ride feel. And, I don't know that I trust an internet discounter to sell me a FS frame that's actually competitive with the branded ones. As I ride more FS bikes, I realize more and more that finding the right one is something I'm going to need to do by riding them, and maybe even with timed laps.

    That said, I might buy a disposable bike from BD - like if I needed to replace my commuter and didn't want to deal with Craig's List to do it.

    EDIT: Also, take BD's MSRPs with a grain, or tablespoon, of salt. Nobody else sells them and if you take the time to compare builds with retail bikes, you'll find that usually a retail bike with that build would run significantly less than the MSRP BD comes up with. I do think they still cost less than the retail bike would. Just not by as much as they'd have you believe.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  24. #24
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    It was a rhetorical question, but I guess I don't mind answering.

    When someone buys a first bike, buying from a shop actually does add some value. Test-riding several different bikes is very important, starting with a bike that has everything tuned properly makes it much easier to learn to maintain the bike, and a ton of people end up paying their LBS quite a lot of money to set up their BD bikes. So the savings disappear.

    When someone buys a second bike, it tends to be more expensive. One of my teammates actually did go with BD for that - with a good reference bike, I think buying a bike from the geometry chart is not a bad strategy. But there are a lot of really beautiful frames floating around the 'net for not much money, so there's no reason to go with BD either. I already have a mental list of a few hardtail frames I'd love to upgrade to if I had some more money to throw around.

    If someone's buying a second bike in a different class from the first, he's really back to square one as far as ride feel. And, I don't know that I trust an internet discounter to sell me a FS frame that's actually competitive with the branded ones. As I ride more FS bikes, I realize more and more that finding the right one is something I'm going to need to do by riding them, and maybe even with timed laps.

    That said, I might buy a disposable bike from BD - like if I needed to replace my commuter and didn't want to deal with Craig's List to do it.

    EDIT: Also, take BD's MSRPs with a grain, or tablespoon, of salt. Nobody else sells them and if you take the time to compare builds with retail bikes, you'll find that usually a retail bike with that build would run significantly less than the MSRP BD comes up with. I do think they still cost less than the retail bike would. Just not by as much as they'd have you believe.

    That's spot on Andrew I don't have anything against the BD hardtails. It's not for newbies because the reasons you've mentioned. There's nothing wrong with buying from BD if you know what you want and what you get from the deal. It's not all it hype up to be, sure there's some fancy parts thrown in the mix to sweeten the package but read the fine print and spec sheet, it's not that great of the deal it's about a fair price at best.

    I too would not mind getting one like a SS 29er disc for $300 shipped and turn it into a SS crossbike.

  25. #25
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Well said, especially the first answer. I'd rep ya but I just did not too long ago gotta wait so you are on my hit list
    Just trying to preach what I learned from this forums , for me it was a no brainer , lifetime free tune ups , onsite help and experience , face to face business , 10% off accessories purchased , and help support a local shop as they help us as well . I was in the same boat as you OP and I'm extremely happy with my local purchase , ya I might have low end things on the bike , but I can also upgrade anything I want and it's my first bike to learn as well . I'll hit u back with some rep Mimi

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    332
    I think what you guys don't understand is that not all LBS are created equal. Aedubber is saying he gets free tune ups for life, and 10% off accessories. To me that's a good deal, because I live in a small apartment, and fiddling with anything on my bike causes a big mess. The shop I bought my bike from doesn't offer free tune ups, in fact I got one 30 day tune up which basically was "is it stopping? is it shifting? its good then". I'm glad I didn't buy a bike online for my first one, but I just bought another bike from Craig's list. Basically the same thing as buying online except I can give it a quick test ride.

    I'm not going to argue whether or not BD bikes are a good deal, or if their frames are good because I have never ridden one. I am just saying that a lot of the bike shops I have been to haven't been near as helpful as people are making bike shops out to be. I haven't had bad service (I ride somewhat regularly with a few guys from my LBS), just nothing that would persuade me to buy from them compared to online or second hand.

  27. #27
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    I think what you guys don't understand is that not all LBS are created equal. Aedubber is saying he gets free tune ups for life, and 10% off accessories. To me that's a good deal, because I live in a small apartment, and fiddling with anything on my bike causes a big mess. The shop I bought my bike from doesn't offer free tune ups, in fact I got one 30 day tune up which basically was "is it stopping? is it shifting? its good then". I'm glad I didn't buy a bike online for my first one, but I just bought another bike from Craig's list. Basically the same thing as buying online except I can give it a quick test ride.

    Yep, not all shop are equal, it takes some time find a good one(s) I'm pretty lucky I found 2 exceptional shop near me and the few around me are just as awesome. Check your local forum for the word-of-mouth comments people share, then check and see for yourself. Call around ask them if you buy a bike from them what perks are included.

  28. #28
    Life on a Sandbar
    Reputation: TraumaARNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,954
    I'm not so sure "punking" a lbs is such a bad thing, considering how many people they punk (newbies, well heeled, inexperienced, desperate, etc.) who are their bread and butter clients who keep them in business. I for one see no need to patronize my lbs' for any big ticket purchases, instead, use them for straight forward mechanical services. What's good for the goose is good enough for the gander is my moto.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Wasn't me, like I said, you're not worth it.
    It was I,I posted neg rep for whiney advice. A true salesman at a LBS will have no problem taking someone who is looking at sizes of bikes and make a sale. If not they are not destined to last as a business.

  30. #30
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,511
    To be fair, we do see number of posters here who were taken advantage of by their LBS too.

    I absolutely see the value of new riders being well taken care of and advised by a reputable, honest shop, but (sadly) it's not like they are all knights in shining armor. Best to take your time, have a knowledgeable friend go with you if possible, ride lots of different bikes, do some studying, and maybe even ask a few more questions here.

    I don't know why so many act as if BD is the devil. I don't see people that work at the supermarket get torqued because someone buys a bag of fruit from a roadside vendor. I don't ever hear of people getting grief for buying a television from Fry's and then calling a repairman from a local shop to fix it. If I buy a new car at one dealer and take it to another for service, I'll get screwed at either one . JFC, it's just a bicycle. Good businesses that do offer and give value will survive. BD are simply an alternative business model for selling bicycles. Truly the only way a bike shop compares in value is if they do give you competent advice and attentive service, and you are able to handle the merchandise before buying. For beginning riders, this can be worth the extra money if they get that. Problem is, that they don't always get those things.

    I don't see people getting attitude for getting a bike from CL and then taking it to a shop for a tune up. Expect to pay full price for services if you didn't buy from the shop. No harm, no foul.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    I'm not so sure "punking" a lbs is such a bad thing, considering how many people they punk (newbies, well heeled, inexperienced, desperate, etc.) who are their bread and butter clients who keep them in business. I for one see no need to patronize my lbs' for any big ticket purchases, instead, use them for straight forward mechanical services. What's good for the goose is good enough for the gander is my moto.
    I know im going to get some flack for this but I have to wholeheartidly agree.

    The 2 LBS's near me both detected my noobness as if I had it tatooed on my forehead and the proceeded to treat me with disdain and indifference all the time offering bikes that were either way out of my price range (as I described it to them) and/or not at all fitting for what I was looking to do (eventually race xc). Unfortunetely for them I had found this site and made some outside MB friends and had a basic knowledge of what and what wasnt plausible/fittable/feasible for me. So I knew they were mistreating me right away.

    Im sure many a new person gets bent over at the 2 LBS's in my area by getting sold a bike that is either way more expensive then what they needed, or does not fit the style of riding they actually want to do.

    Also, my son races Junior class and even before I started racing I asked some Sport class riders about Motobecone bikes as I had seen them pretty reasonably priced on BD and a few of the guys had raced with them. Everyone I talked to raved about the bike and told me to "go for it" when I was ready to drop a few grand for a new bike.

    Im looking at a Ti29er right now for next spring, $2099 from BD, and I wont think twice about it.

    Oh by the way, I still support my LBS. I bought $300 in race day gear from them. I also get all my repairs done by them.

    Just my 2 cents.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RabEd Ewok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    lifetime free tune ups , onsite help and experience , face to face business , 10% off accessories purchased , and help support a local shop as they help us as well .
    I wish, had to pay 80 bucks for 5 years of tune ups (not bad, considering that it cost 60 bucks for one). Face to face, sure helped, had to go today, heard a few noises and he hopped on my bike, found them, and said he would take care of it. 10% off accessories was more for when I bought the bike, since it was a little over budget and he said he could not go any lower (was already 110 bucks off), so he threw in 10% off accessories to help me buy a helmet. I have found a great LBS, and know of another one if I am ever in a pinch. Best part is they are not too far from me, or each other....lol

    Ordered new pedals (ebay), and he told me that when I bring the bike back in next week for a complete tune up to take care of everything I was concerned with he will put them on for me, free of charge. Looked at a cpu while I was there and he said eh you just bought the bike, I will give you a good discount on it and put it on for you when you bring it in. If you want it.

    OP I am all about saving some cash, but after my experience with my local LBS, I am a little biased on this one.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

  33. #33
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    For a bike under a grand, be realistic; the "fitting" you are getting at most shops involves the person working there to size you up visually, say "I think a 19" will work", you sit on it, and then take it for a test ride. At most, you try the next size up or down based on your impressions, but listening to many on this site you would think you are getting a size-cycle fitting for a mountain bike that costs $500. You will get a good fit by just emailing with BD with the measurements they want; worst case you have to spend another $60 to ship it back for a different size. A lot of size fine tuning is seatpost/stem height/seat fore/aft that can easily be done by the purchaser with allen wrenches. Most newbies are not going to really care much as long as the basic fit is okay (i.e. your nuts aren't on the top tube and you knees don't hit the handlebar when you pedal). Honestly, I don't care for people walking in a shop, spending time with an employee, test riding bikes, then leaving and buying it online. However, this is what most of us do when buying cars or the like. I say if you are going online just deal with them and leave the shop out of it. And finally, please understand that the bike you get from BD shows up from the factory and is not ready to ride by putting the front wheel on and the stem/bar; it is just like any other shop brand like Trek etc. and needs to be assembled correctly. This can include but is not limited to basic brake/derailer adjustments, greasing bolt threads, straightening drop outs, turing wheels, adjusting hub bearings, etc. This service at a shop can run from $50-70 depending on what it needs so factor that in. Your new bike is only as good as the person who built it up!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtcurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    I for one see no problem with Bikesdirect. Everything is a compromise. Buying at bikesdirect saves you some money in the short term, gives you better parts as well. But when you break something which will inevitably happen that cant be repaired its harder to get it fixed as it is with all over the internet companies. You will be spending the same if not more money than a LBS fixing it getting it tuned etc. over the course of the bike's life. You buy at a LBS and you get more often than not personal service, free tuneups, and easier warranty service (which was the main reason I decided against BD). You will inevitably come out the same either way so its up to you to decide if you want to look at the short term or the long term down the road. Plus if you are good at looking around your LBS have so really good deals that are on par with BD, and if you get those deals you will be out ahead of buying on BD.

  35. #35
    WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Reputation: fattybikejones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    643
    Your best deal in the long run will be the good 'ol brick 'n mortar LBS!!!!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcurry View Post
    I for one see no problem with Bikesdirect. Everything is a compromise. Buying at bikesdirect saves you some money in the short term, gives you better parts as well. But when you break something which will inevitably happen that cant be repaired its harder to get it fixed as it is with all over the internet companies. You will be spending the same if not more money than a LBS fixing it getting it tuned etc. over the course of the bike's life. You buy at a LBS and you get more often than not personal service, free tuneups, and easier warranty service (which was the main reason I decided against BD). You will inevitably come out the same either way so its up to you to decide if you want to look at the short term or the long term down the road. Plus if you are good at looking around your LBS have so really good deals that are on par with BD, and if you get those deals you will be out ahead of buying on BD.
    Every LBS bike shop around here only offers 1 year. That being said one year service quickly becomes 2 or 3 tune ups and the advantages disappear. Additionally, I do see some good deals but they only exist at the very end of the year and early January.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtcurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by austanian View Post
    Every LBS bike shop around here only offers 1 year. That being said one year service quickly becomes 2 or 3 tune ups and the advantages disappear. Additionally, I do see some good deals but they only exist at the very end of the year and early January.
    Most bike shops around here is lifetime tune ups.
    2010 GT Sensor 2.0

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Look around the community, where I live there is a community cycling place and they can help you out with fixing your bike. If you have something like that buying from BD isn't that bad at all. Also they have workshops and stuff like that where a pro teaches you how to fix your bike up, for free I think. Then you can size the bike up yourself/adjust and assemble everything.

    On a budget you can figure out how to fix up your bike from a place like that, which is the primary advantage I think you get from a brick and mortar. I don't know much about bikes, but I think something like that could help out. If you gain more knowledge about a bike you can also help yourself fit the bike and stuff.

    Obviously time is money, but if your in college and you want to learn how to bike, and you don't have as much cash I think its a solid thing to do and while a $700 bike will last you years, knowledge lasts forever and you can keep it forever/fix your bike yourself.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Spoken like a true noob. A 0.2 degree head tube angle combined with the G2 offset makes a HUGE difference in the handling of the bike. The reach would be similar but the Marlin would destroy the Gravity when you got them out on the trail.

    aedubber gave you the right advice. Go to a bike shop, then get a bike at a bike shop.
    Zebrahum, I did not neg rep you or anyone else in this thread! I havent repped anyone, pos or neg, in a long time cause I realize the rep thing is a load of retaliatory crap. You wanna "ass"ume it was me that neg repped you, call me cowardly (in your bogus neg rep) then that's fine, as I said I don't care one way or the other about rep.

    Have a nice day, unlike others in this thread you do add something positive to the forum so I can be a big boy and deal with your pissy attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  40. #40
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Zebrahum, I did not neg rep you or anyone else in this thread! I havent repped anyone, pos or neg, in a long time cause I realize the rep thing is a load of retaliatory crap. You wanna "ass"ume it was me that neg repped you, call me cowardly (in your bogus neg rep) then that's fine, as I said I don't care one way or the other about rep.

    Have a nice day, unlike others in this thread you do add something positive to the forum so I can be a big boy and deal with your pissy attitude.
    Then someone phrased it as if they were you. I'll fix it later even though I'm sure you don't care. Cheers.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  41. #41
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,982
    I own a bike from bikesdirect - Fly titanium, it is a great frame that serves me well, but I would not recommend mail order bikes to beginners. They end up paying more.

    You are ready to buy online when you know what you need and can service it yourself for all the minor stuff.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Then someone phrased it as if they were you. I'll fix it later even though I'm sure you don't care. Cheers.
    Now there would be a surprise. In an anonymous system that let's people say whatever they want someone might neg rep someone and make it look like someone else did it?
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  43. #43
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Now there would be a surprise. In an anonymous system that let's people say whatever they want someone might neg rep someone and make it look like someone else did it?




    Pretty sure I neg repped you for your usual uniformed postings about Fisher geo and the punks at BD that try to rip it off. Quit whining about it, when you post crap you should expect to get it back.

  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation: roadie scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    773
    No, it was me. Probably. If it was, I did it for advocating punking the LBS as well as your general ignorance of things related to MTBing. If I didn't do it, I'm sure that I'll get around to it.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Pretty sure I neg repped you for your usual uniformed postings about Fisher geo and the punks at BD that try to rip it off. Quit whining about it, when you post crap you should expect to get it back.
    Floyd, you did neg rep me and I have moved on. Thing is, somebody else neg repped Zebrahaum, apparently made it look like me, so he neg repped me and called me cowardly for not debating in the thread. I did not neg rep him, or anyone else, and would NEVER debate him on bike handling because he wins, hands down, every time.

    Honest serious question to anybody who cares, does the 0.2 degree head tube angle difference combined with a standard offset fork in some way mimic the G2 fork offset?
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    No, it was me. Probably. If it was, I did it for advocating punking the LBS as well as your general ignorance of things related to MTBing. If I didn't do it, I'm sure that I'll get around to it.
    Guys, several people neg repped me and I really dont care. But somebody neg repped Zebrahaum and made it look like me. I didn't neg rep him, end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post

    Honest serious question to anybody who cares, does the 0.2 degree head tube angle difference combined with a standard offset fork in some way mimic the G2 fork offset?


    I'll chime in on this, the only reason BD does not have the same fork offset is because of the patents. Mike posted that they copied the geo of the Fisher, which IMO is doooshbaggery of the highest order. So keep waving the flag, but IMHO your making yourself look like a fool.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    I'll chime in on this, the only reason BD does not have the same fork offset is because of the patents. Mike posted that they copied the geo of the Fisher, which IMO is doooshbaggery of the highest order. So keep waving the flag, but IMHO your making yourself look like a fool.
    Yes, I too read Mike's admission of copying the geo. And i do understand the patent issue. I am not trying to wave the flag for anybody. Just want to know more about how the G2 offset really differs and if the reason BD changed the head tube angle was to try to attempt to mimic the G2 without the fork that they can't use?
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  49. #49
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    If you have a Trek dealer nearby, you can try out the Marlin as a fitment guide for the Gravity 29.2 since the geometry is nearly identical. The only difference between a Marlin and a 29.2 is 0.2 degrees difference in the head tube angle and the Marlin uses the G2 proprietary fork offset. These things may have a slight effect on handling but should make no difference at all in proper fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Yes, I too read Mike's admission of copying the geo. And i do understand the patent issue. I am not trying to wave the flag for anybody. Just want to know more about how the G2 offset really differs and if the reason BD changed the head tube angle was to try to attempt to mimic the G2 without the fork that they can't use?



    Respectfully, you post about the "slight effect on handling" and then in another post question the effects of G2 just shows what others are trying to point out, that you do not understand the geo and its effects and that you should refrain from posting more misinformation about it no matter how well intended.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,343
    You probably won't go wrong with your BD choice, and if you do, you will probably be looking at different bikes in the next year anyhow. Within a year of riding you will meet people , have conections and do better with your next purchase. The style of bike you want may even change once you start riding on your local area. I visited 5 local shops , hated them all, once i started riding the bike i bought from JensonUSA i started to learn what shops to go to in my area.

    Buy a bike, have fun , learn , live and ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone hesitant about buying from bikesdirect???
    By iowacutter in forum Motobecane
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
  2. Buying a bike from BikesDirect, then putting parts on Trek
    By getagrip in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
  3. Thinking about buying
    By BigE610 in forum Salsa
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 09:08 PM
  5. So I'm thinking of buying a 5.5
    By special k in forum Intense
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •