1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

things to lookout for when buying 2nd hand bike n parts

hey all,would like to ask all the pros here on:

1)how to check if a 2nd hand fork/shock are in good condition?

2)how to check whether hydros brake are ok?

3)how to check for wheelset?

is there anymore thing to take note of when buying a complete 2nd hand bike?

thanks

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I buy alot of second hand bikes on Craigslist. I often part them out and sell some parts and use others for my bikes and my friends. If you buy one with front and rear shocks look closely at the stantion tubes. The part where one tube enters the other. Make sure there is no wear by comparing the color and smoothness at the bottom close to the seal with the top close to the crown. Any scratches or dullness can be an indication of wear. If the tubes are worn they will not seal well. Check for any oil. Push the shocks up and down. They should feel smooth through the full range of travel. Air shocks can be tricky because they can leak air over time and there is no way to tell if they were just filled.

Hydro brakes are easy. They either work or they don't. Check for pad wear. Most hydro pads material is about as thick as a nickel. If they are that thick they are good. If they are more like a dime they may be worn. Look for any damage to the cables and check closely where the cables come into the calipers and levers. If you see any fluid or dirt accumulation there may be a leak.

Wheels are easy too. Give em a spin and watch for any noticable wobble or flat spots. Do the hubs sound ok? Do the wheels spin freely or do they slow down quickly. While you are doing this part it is also easy to watch the disk brake rotors to see if they are true. Give the spokes a squeeze to see if they are tensioned.

Most importantly check the frame at all the welds and stress points. Look for any dings or chips in the paint that could indicate a crack. On the welds a crack will often cause the paint to separate or crack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I buy alot of second hand bikes on Craigslist. I often part them out and sell some parts and use others for my bikes and my friends. If you buy one with front and rear shocks look closely at the stantion tubes. The part where one tube enters the other. Make sure there is no wear by comparing the color and smoothness at the bottom close to the seal with the top close to the crown. Any scratches or dullness can be an indication of wear. If the tubes are worn they will not seal well. Check for any oil. Push the shocks up and down. They should feel smooth through the full range of travel. Air shocks can be tricky because they can leak air over time and there is no way to tell if they were just filled.

Hydro brakes are easy. They either work or they don't. Check for pad wear. Most hydro pads material is about as thick as a nickel. If they are that thick they are good. If they are more like a dime they may be worn. Look for any damage to the cables and check closely where the cables come into the calipers and levers. If you see any fluid or dirt accumulation there may be a leak.

Wheels are easy too. Give em a spin and watch for any noticable wobble or flat spots. Do the hubs sound ok? Do the wheels spin freely or do they slow down quickly. While you are doing this part it is also easy to watch the disk brake rotors to see if they are true. Give the spokes a squeeze to see if they are tensioned.

Most importantly check the frame at all the welds and stress points. Look for any dings or chips in the paint that could indicate a crack. On the welds a crack will often cause the paint to separate or crack.

1)the part on stantion tube,do i just see the colour for both fork and shock?if both are air,how do i check?i heard people saying try to touch the bottom of the fork to see if it leaks.

2)as for the squeezing the spokes part,do i take 2 spokes and squeeze each to another?can explain more about this?

3)for hydro brake,how do i check the brake pad?