1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Things to help beginners

What are some things that helped you become better and would recommend to a beginner?

The things that have helped me the most are:
    1. Don't look down, instead keep your line of vision further down the trail
    2. Stay light on your handlebars
    3. NEVER brake just before you're getting ready to go over a big log

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    One thing i learned the hard way...if your doubting your ability on a certain part of a trail, like it might be TOO much of a bumpy decline, best bet is to walk down it the first few times. Not worth injuring yourself just to figure out if theres a good chance you could do it. Ha. Don't take corners too fast. Take trails slow for the first couple of times, get familiar with them. Ride and have fun!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Learning to throw my weight back on steep downhills was key. Going over the bars sucks.

local trails rider
    Riding behind somebody who knows what he (she) is doing, and is willing to keep the pace easy enough for you.

Keeping the weight LOW over the bike when things are steep and/or bumpy.

AKA Dr.Nob
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Riding behind somebody who knows what he (she) is doing, and is willing to keep the pace easy enough for you.

Keeping the weight LOW over the bike when things are steep and/or bumpy.
    Also it's good to get them to ride behind you to watch how you ride as well.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Riding with better riders is imo one of the best ways to improve skills.

Top three things that have helped me improve:
    1. learning to shift weight on uphills, downhills, corners, etc.
    2. pushing my bike into the ground when cornering
    3. looking ahead

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    my observations being an experienced rider away from the game for a while is to pace yourself. if you get into a trail hauling balls. you are going to run out of gas well before the 4.6 mile loop is done.. (sorry jerrett and troy for hanging you up but thanks for sticking around!!! .). PACE YOURSELF

another is learn your bike. learn how quickly your bike shifts gears, learn how your fork reacts to different sized hits. a bone jarring hit will throw you. get used to "floating" above the bike and letting your arms and legs absorb impact.

don't hold the grips that tight. longer rides, even the best of us will get the tingle in the fingers.
    oh , and most importantly, ride that bike..

happy trails!!