1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

are these worth it?

(sorry im sure u guys get this all the time)
    i have around 500$
    i have been researching and searching around and have decided to buy used. the list below are the ones i have decided to contact the sellers about

I think i can get the GT for around 2-300 but besides that do u guys think the other 2 listed are worth 500$ (the haro or the bruiser)

i do alot of paved and unpaved trails
    i also like doing downhill and pump trails
    i defiantly want a mountain bike as a road bike or hybrid doesnt fit my desire to progress in the off-road/unpaved trails
    with that said which do you think would be best for a beginner

Thanks in advance!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/2492410466.html (Haro Werx Mountain Bike - $600 (Plainfield))

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/2507651516.html (***reduced! Trek "Bruiser 2" mountain bike - excellent parts! - $599 (Elmhurst))

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2506835695.html (2008 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc - $410 (O'Hare))

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by owengerig View Post
    (sorry im sure u guys get this all the time)
    i have around 500$
    i have been researching and searching around and have decided to buy used. the list below are the ones i have decided to contact the sellers about

I think i can get the GT for around 2-300 but besides that do u guys think the other 2 listed are worth 500$ (the haro or the bruiser)

i do alot of paved and unpaved trails
    i also like doing downhill and pump trails
    i defiantly want a mountain bike as a road bike or hybrid doesnt fit my desire to progress in the off-road/unpaved trails
    with that said which do you think would be best for a beginner

Thanks in advance!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/2492410466.html (Haro Werx Mountain Bike - $600 (Plainfield))

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/2507651516.html (***reduced! Trek "Bruiser 2" mountain bike - excellent parts! - $599 (Elmhurst))

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2506835695.html (2008 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc - $410 (O'Hare))
    the haro and the trek have nice components for the price esp if you get them for 500 or so

the gt i would pay more then 250, i got my '10 for 350 BNIB. 410 is way to high of an asking esp since its stock

how tall are you the haro and the trek are smalls
    the gt is a large

Professional Speed Bump
    The GT Avalanche is definitely overpriced. It was about $500 when new and he's asking for $410 after 3 years.

The Trek Bruiser seems a bit high too. It looks like a 2005 and if it is, it was just under $700 new.

As for the Haro, I don't know much about it but from the components list, it seems like he's asking what it's worth. I don't think it's much of a deal, but I don't think it's a rip off either.

**EDIT: BTW, what size do you need? How tall are you?

Professional Speed Bump
    Here's a good deal, if the size fits you:
    GF Sugar 4

Looks like a medium or a large. Should be good for anyone between 5'8" and 6'0"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ya I'm about 5 10, and I know they are a little small for me. I was going to testride it of course though and see if it's to small. Thank you all for the advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the suggestion

still a little torn because i liked the hydraulic brakes on the bruiser and the extra tire set

it seems like no matter what i would probably be replacing the forks on either bikes (after reading reviews about the bikes and their forks)

which is fine, i want a good starter bike that i can build on and upgrade

but im going to go check out the GF today hopefully and ill see how it rides as i have never tried full suspension before

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    check your local pawn shop too. they have good deals there sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sonboy View Post
    check your local pawn shop too. they have good deals there sometimes.
    Not all! My pawn shop down the street is NUTS the asking price on a old Specialized hard rock (im talking maybe mid 90's) had a old rockshox judy, the price tag..$1150.00
    LOL I was like what...the...f#&%

Professional Speed Bump
    Don't be too influenced by hydraulic brakes. Not all are great.

The Hayes MX brakeset that are on the Bruiser can be picked up for real cheap.

The Avid Juicy 5's that are on the Haro can be picked up for under $75 in good used condition. I picked up a pair of Juicy 7's for $75 and they are much better than both the MX and Juicy 5s.

Like I mentioned on the above reply, the only one that seems like a decent deal is the Haro. The other 2 bikes are total rip offs.

Here is an awesome deal if the size fits. It's a 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0. This bike really was $3000, so at a mear $650, it's a steal.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/2513809882.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lol ok now its between the jamis and the gf. Probably go with the jamis though. Going to check then out today. That jamis does look nice. Thanks again, u doing critical mass? Buy ya a beer for ur help

Professional Speed Bump
    I made a mistake. It's actually a 2004 but it's still a barely used $3000 bike: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...03.0&Type=bike

If it's a 17" it should fit your perfectly. if it's a 15" or 19", it might be cutting it close. I'm sure you'll figure it out after you test ride the bike.

Anyways, I wanted to attend the Critical Mass but I'll likely be paddling around Skokie Lagoon in a kayak for the entire day.

Good luck on the purchase and if you pick up either of those, I'll take a rain check on the beer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i ended up with the jamis
    the bike had 2 flats, and the back brakes need a new cable + bleeding
    basically he wanted me to take it as is without testing it so he went very low (400)
    filled both tires and the front was fine but the back leaked bad
    took it to the bike shop and they through some oil to reseal the tubeless and that fixed the back tire
    road 50 miles last night and i couldnt be more happier
    the bike rides like a dream
    thanks again for all the help and suggestions

Professional Speed Bump
    Congrats! That's an awesome deal!

I'm sure photos will be coming soon?

Post em up when you get a chance!

mtbr member
    prefer real meat!

we need pics!
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    did some major cleaning today
    here are the requested pics

Professional Speed Bump
    Dood, that is a sweet deal for $400.

If I didn't have too many bikes already, I would've picked that up.

Do you do any trail rides at all or will this only see pavement. If it's gonna see road only, it'll be a shame cuz I know this bike will rock the dirt!

We do group rides some times at Palos and Kettle. Let me know if you ever want to join in.

mtbr member
    looks like a hell of a deal considering I paid $350 for my 05 Cannondale F5 this spring....
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    wow nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    id love todo some trail rides with ya. i went and dirtied it today, nothin major just some horse trails. around 167th and cicero
    (leaving for vacation saturday so regardless i cant do anything for the next week)

i like trails and plan to ride them most
    but of course alot of my friends have hybrids so we do alot of paved trails, roads and sometimes trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You got a good deal. Looks great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    man... there seems to be some really good value in craigslist bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ya get lucky somtimes ya know. the other 3 (and before that 5) i was looking at where ok deals. just got lucky that captainjoon spotted this deal

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by owengerig View Post
    ya get lucky somtimes ya know. the other 3 (and before that 5) i was looking at where ok deals. just got lucky that captainjoon spotted this deal
    Sent you a PM.

That bike has a suspension system with plethora of goodies so I can help you set it up to your likings when you get a chance to join us for a group ride.

This week has been quite rainy so we won't be heading out, but we head out every weekend when the trails are dry. So let me know when you want to join in!

mtbr member
    Sweet bike man! Usually around here all we have on craigslist is rusted up mongoose's and Next's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    cngrats. time ti check CL! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast