1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Are these used bikes worth the money?

Hey guys, new member here, glad to be on board. I was just wondering if you guys think these bikes are a good deal or not. Will they need to be upgraded soon? ive looked through the reviews of them here on mtbr and most people enjoy their bike but are they worth the money right now?

Ive been looking at new 2010 hardtails in the $400-$700 price range for an entry level bike that wont break the bank, maybe a specialized p1 am or something, but have come across these.

I plan on doing just about everything i can get at with my bike from light trail rides to watever jump i can find.

Any advice? are they worth me spending couple hundred more? Thanks.

Gary fisher Joshua x1 - $600
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/1677605986.html
    Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ disk - $800
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/1664165106.html
    Trek Fuel 8 - $950
    http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bik/1674185648.html

mtbr rememberer
    All those bikes will get the job done.

The real question is FIT and FEEL.
    Ride all of those bikes to get an idea. Ride some more pricey bikes to get an idea of what up-market bikes feel like. If buying used, make sure there are no cracks in the frame before pulling the trigger.

Buy the bike that fits YOU best.

edit: oh yeah, welcome aboard!

mtbr member
    i'm gonna say the Joshua is not worth 600... i think the other 2 maybe close to their price but i'm sure you can get a few dollars off on each of them. The Trek to me seems like the best one and since the guy said he is moving you may be able to get a great deal, seems like its in pretty decent shape. Ride those two and see which one works best for you...
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    The Trek looks nice. Go check it out, see if it fits. Has some nice parts. Maby you can get him to come down a little bit. Wouldn't be too bad. Never hurts to look and test ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yea the trek looks like a great bike. what do you think would be a good offer without completely insulting the guy?

mtbr member
    Start at $800. You never know. He said he was moving. Maby if you have $800 in hand you might get a great deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I emailed him earlier asking for what size it was, still waiting on response. I'm about 6'2 180 Ib so im hoping its either a large or xl i think.

Warrior's Society
    The Sugar I would avoid. He is running a 150mm fork on a XC frame designed around a 100mm fork.

I agree that the Joshua is way overpriced.....and he even admits that is has been used well. In addition, there are better bikes out there to be had.

The Fuel EX8 is actually a pretty nice rig. See if you can't get the price down a bit....but make sure it fits.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    i think 800 cash in hand would probably be good... when people see the cash they usually take it if its remotely fair... does look like a nice bike tho with some nice parts, could be a steal

Plus the guy selling the Trek is named Zeus... a guy named Zeus would never screw you over....
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

MTB skillz = NADA
    Trek fo sure....as long as it fits.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well it turns out the guy sold the trek already. From what im hearing from you guys the other two bikes arent worth it right?

pants on head retarded
    The Sugar is a good bike, but the other posters are correct to question its setup. Large travel fork on an XC frame is odd. Who knows, it's a pretty solid frame, maybe it's dreamy with a lot of travel and the slackened head angle... Maybe it's just weird.

mtbr member
    Sit tight. Good chance there will be another nice bike very soon.