Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 71
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Is there something wrong with my bike - pedalling backwards

    So I picked up a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper. Seems like a great bike. But one thing that is bugging me is what it does when I pedal backwards. On my old 90's Giant Upland back pedaling is smooth, but on the RH it isn't check out these videos to see what I mean.

    Is this normal or is something wrong with it?

    Giant

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RuhBkv4gQfw?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RuhBkv4gQfw?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

    Rockhopper

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T0FRTpWi_xM?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T0FRTpWi_xM?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thestig_wj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    126
    my 2011 RH does same thing dont know why

  3. #3
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    You might wnat to take it to a shop for some adjustment work and ask them to show you the basics about what to look for and how to do it.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Your freehub needs service. The bearings might be going bad, or there might be gunky build up, or something else; but the freehub isn't freely freewheeling like it should

  5. #5
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,118
    Why would you pedal backward like that? Until it becomes an issue while you are riding then just run it. It becomes an issue when you are coasting and the chain starts to slack on the top part of the chain. Bikes aren't made to pedal backward like that, the Giant does it well because it probably doesn't have any grease left in the freehub/freewheel.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Why would you pedal backward like that? Until it becomes an issue while you are riding then just run it. It becomes an issue when you are coasting and the chain starts to slack on the top part of the chain. Bikes aren't made to pedal backward like that, the Giant does it well because it probably doesn't have any grease left in the freehub/freewheel.
    A properly maintained and properly functioning freehub should always look the like the Giant does in those videos

    For me, pedaling backwards to ratchet the cranks is a normal part of trail riding, though that doesn't move the cranks nearly as far as those example videos.

    Either way, why wait for a problem to become serious when there are already signs of trouble with the freehub? If/when it does fail or seize up he could be left walking home.

  7. #7
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,118
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    For me, pedaling backwards to ratchet the cranks is a normal part of trail riding, though that doesn't move the cranks nearly as far as those example videos. A properly maintained and properly functioning freehub should always look the like the Giant does in those videos

    Either way, why wait for a problem to become serious when there are already signs of trouble with the freehub? If/when it does fail or seize up he could be left walking home
    Sure, a half or sometimes a full rotation at a time. Not extended backward pedaling, derallieur bikes are not made to be able to do that. The springs don't properly hold tension in that direction.

    And who says there is a problem with the freehub? My guess is that it works properly in the forward direction. If you're worried, have a shop check it out.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  8. #8
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    A shop can help you.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 02-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Sure, a half or sometimes a full rotation at a time. Not extended backward pedaling, derallieur bikes are not made to be able to do that. The springs don't properly hold tension in that direction.

    And who says there is a problem with the freehub? My guess is that it works properly in the forward direction. If you're worried, have a shop check it out.
    I can backpedal for hours on my bikes, be it my DT 240s hub, my generic Formula hub, or my 1970's freewheel, and I've never had a bike in good condition that couldn't. I have had a bike with a bad freehub before that didn't backpedal properly like this and, though it never stopped engaging in the forward direction, over time the bearings got worse and worse till I could no longer coast while riding because the freehub would try to keep moving with the wheel and would pull slack out of the bottom of the chain, leaving the top of the chain sagging below my chainstay, which often led to the chain coming off the front front ring before I started pedaling again.

    Sure backpedaling is not a primary function, but it is a sign of how well the freehub bearings are functioning and/or adjusted. Some hubs have really heavy duty seals to protect the bearings and these seals can add drag, and some bearings just never spin freely because they've overpacked or not made well or something other cause. For most cases though, it should be working much better than in that video.

    Mechanically there is probably nothing wrong with this hub, besides bearings with too much drag, but I agree that it's worth having the shop look at.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,312
    Could it be the grease in the freehub firming up because of the cold?

  11. #11
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Why would you pedal backward like that? ...
    To unwind the leg muscles from pedaling FWD all the time.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    To unwind the leg muscles from pedaling FWD all the time.
    That sounds stupid, but I do it sometimes during a longer rider just to shake out my legs and make the muscles stretch in a different direction for a change

    Or maybe I do it to be ironic while I race past all those other hipsters on the trail so I can win

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    136
    Is it worth the hassle and labor costs to have a shop service it? Or are you better off just getting a new one?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125
    Is it worth the hassle and labor costs to have a shop service it? Or are you better off just getting a new one?
    the bike is brand new, so hopefully the shop would cover the cost of whichever option they deemed necessary

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    the bike is brand new, so hopefully the shop would cover the cost of whichever option they deemed necessary
    It was more of a general question. I'm kind of having the same problem, but it's an 08 Rockhopper.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125
    It was more of a general question. I'm kind of having the same problem, but it's an 08 Rockhopper.
    ahh, I see. That might depend on the cost of the replacement freehub. Some are cheap, some can be $100 (probably not yours though).

    Some freehubs are easier to service than others too. For example, there is a tool for Shimano hubs that allows you to easily flush the freehub with fresh lube, whereas other loose-ball freehubs might require tricky dissasembly. If it's a cartridge bearing freehub you could pull the existing ones and press in new bearings, that can be trickier than it sounds

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    ahh, I see. That might depend on the cost of the replacement freehub. Some are cheap, some can be $100 (probably not yours though)
    Right. That would make sense huh?

    Thanks for your help.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125
    Right. That would make sense huh?

    Thanks for your help.
    glad to help. I've edited my post to add some (vague) info on the repair option too

  19. #19
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Why would you pedal backward like that? Until it becomes an issue while you are riding then just run it. It becomes an issue when you are coasting and the chain starts to slack on the top part of the chain. Bikes aren't made to pedal backward like that, the Giant does it well because it probably doesn't have any grease left in the freehub/freewheel.
    I disagree completely. While the videos are an extreme example, there are definitely times where it is necessary to back pedal 1/4 to 1/2 rotation in order to clear logs, rocks and other obstacles that would otherwise cause a pedal strike.

    Every bicycle I have ever owned (other than coaster brake bikes back in the '70's) is capable of at least 1/2 rotation in reverse (if I put one foot on a pedal and spin backward) without the chain dipping significantly.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94
    So how many of you have a bike that spins backwards as easy as the Giant? Seems everyone who has an RH says theirs does the same thing.

    I bought the bike used. There were several to choose from and they all did the same thing. They were all lightly used. I know the guy I bought it from. He tuned the bike up for me and wasn't concerned about it. I trust him, he wouldn't sell me something that wasn't in great shape.

    It does a rotation or two backwards pretty easy, it just gets rough when you do it rapidly over and over.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin54
    It does a rotation or two backwards pretty easy, it just gets rough when you do it rapidly over and over.
    Certainly not ideal, but it might be ok if that's the case. Just keep an eye on it for any change for the worse, and definitely for any slack while coasting

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,925
    wait, wait, wait... is it me or is the chain in a higher gear in the beginning of the vid and then dropped to a lower gear towards the end. looks like it to me. if that is the case, it could be that the RD was down shifted before you started pedaling backwards. when you start pedaling backwards, the chain will get hung up on the top egde of the RD cage above the top pully. the chain will not move smoothly into higher/lower gears when you are back pedaling. what happens is that instead of the derrailleur feeding the chain into the cassette the opposite is happening.

    go check it again and also get us some better video of the RD while pedaling backwards. could even be a stiff link in the chain.

  23. #23
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    That sounds stupid, ...
    yeah, your face sounds stoopid!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  24. #24
    local jackass
    Reputation: biggoofy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    932
    LOL glad to see your still cracking jokes man

    My mavics used to do this a good bit after not being cleaned after a good cleaning and service no more issues.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

  25. #25
    KC Weekend Warrior
    Reputation: the.rebot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    116
    I had the same issue, solved it by... cleaning the chain. the lube had gotten gunky and was impeding the free motion. At least try it before you spend $ at the shop. I am curious how this all turns out.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yeah, your face sounds stoopid!
    I know, and if you think it sounds stupid just wait till you see it! Oh, wait...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Betarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Why would you pedal backward like that?
    Umm....I hate to point out the obvious, but when you're coasting downhill, especially a nice fast one, and your rear wheel is spinning nice and fast in the forward direction but your feet are on the pedals (as they should, or you've got other, more pressing problems) holding the cranks in one position.....guess what? Same effect.

    My guess is something's not right with your freewheel.

  28. #28
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I know, and if you think it sounds stupid just wait till you see it! Oh, wait...
    oh..if it's on let me unwind my fightin arms then!
    I have a grill that'll make yer BBQ's look sexy
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudforlunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by the.rebot
    I had the same issue, solved it by... cleaning the chain. the lube had gotten gunky and was impeding the free motion. At least try it before you spend $ at the shop. I am curious how this all turns out.

    this. If its a new bike, with a new chain, it might still have the new chain grease on it that it comes covered in in the package, which although protects the chain, isn't the best lube for it. Super thick, viscous stuff. Clean the chain and relube it with proper chain lube, and see if that helps.

  30. #30
    TRANCER
    Reputation: Biohazard74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,422
    I see you have the dorky plastic disc on your rear hub. That can sometimes cause that if it is out of place. Check it out and get back to us
    Ride

  31. #31
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,263
    MY Guess is the chain line is slightly off

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    102
    My 2011 cannondale is 2 weeks old (since build date at cannondale) it did the same thing.

    There was thick, sticky grease on the chain and every other part that requires lube. I cleaned, and oiled the chain, cycled it a few times backwards, and its perfect now.

    I would start with a simple cleaning and oiling of the chain before having it serviced.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94
    Ok, off work Friday, I'll look into cleaning the chain then.

  34. #34
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    wait, wait, wait... is it me or is the chain in a higher gear in the beginning of the vid and then dropped to a lower gear towards the end.
    Yep.

  35. #35
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    MY Guess is the chain line is slightly off
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  36. #36
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    MY Guess is the chain line is slightly off
    Yeah highdelll, past it's expiry date and wasn't kept in the fridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  37. #37
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    Yeah highdelll, past it's expiry date and wasn't kept in the fridge.
    can you get freezer burn on your chainline?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  38. #38
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    can you get freezer burn on your chainline?
    I can, I live in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  39. #39
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    I can, I live in Canada.
    -43* or so according to someone who commented on Batty's post earlier today (FB) - not sure where you are in relation, but I think you're close (longitudinally) and more north?
    correct me if I'm wrong
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    -43* or so according to someone who commented on Batty's post earlier today (FB) - not sure where you are in relation, but I think you're close (longitudinally) and more north?
    correct me if I'm wrong
    us NorCal-ians are longitudinally north of many Midwestern and Eastern US cities that are currently and often covered in snow and ice

  41. #41
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    us NorCal-ians are longitudinally north of many Midwestern and Eastern US cities that are currently and often covered in snow and ice
    right, but TN and EB are in the same geographic region - I think...

    Sucks for us here in NorCal that it's sunny and 69 tho right?

    latitude? (or am I missing a joke?)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  42. #42
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    right, but TN and EB are in the same geographic region - I think...

    Sucks for us here in NorCal that it's sunny and 69 tho right?

    latitude? (or am I missing a joke?)
    She's in Toronto I think. That's my old stomping grounds. Almost 30 years ago. The only thing in the lower 48 west of me now is Neah Bay, Washington, maybe. I'm well north of her too. Central Vancouver Island.

    The freezer burn comment was based on the stereotype of a typical Canadian. Where I live, it hardly ever snows and freezing temperatures are pretty rare too. Oddly enough, I can ride my bike from my house to snow in about an hour in August. I lived through 30 winters. I did my patriotic duty as a Canadian.

    45* and sunny today. I was out digging trails and getting bit by mosquitoes.
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 02-03-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    right, but TN and EB are in the same geographic region - I think...

    Sucks for us here in NorCal that it's sunny and 69 tho right?

    latitude? (or am I missing a joke?)
    you mean what I know

  44. #44
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    She's in Toronto I think. That's my old stomping grounds. Almost 30 years ago. The only thing in the lower 48 west of me now is Neah Bay, Washington, maybe. I'm well north of her too. Central Vancouver Island.

    The freezer burn comment was based on the stereotype of a typical Canadian. Where I live, it hardly ever snows and freezing temperatures are pretty rare too. Oddly enough, I can ride my bike from my house to snow in about an hour in August. I lived through 30 winters. I did my patriotic duty as a Canadian.

    45* and sunny today. I was out digging trails and getting bit by mosquitoes.
    Ahh, soory* dood - I thought you were back east in the lowlands -
    Left-coast is the "right" coast anyhow

    *said in "Canukian"
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  45. #45
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    you mean what I know
    that's what she said?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    Yeah highdelll, past it's expiry date and wasn't kept in the fridge.
    Fairly certain its colder outside / in my garage than my fridge, but I'll check the expiration date.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94
    Getting the chain clean didn't happen today. But in looking at the bike again I noticed that one of the pulleys on the rear derailleur doesn't spin freely when going backwards, so that needs a good cleaning also.

    I am a bike maintenance newbie so the learning curve is in effect, but it doesn't look to hard.

  48. #48
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin54
    ... but it doesn't look to hard.
    it's not
    most of it is common sense and basic mechanics.. - a bike is a simple machine
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    it's not
    most of it is common sense and basic mechanics.. - a bike is a simple machine
    "Yeah, so's a toilet!"

    Sorry, couldn't resist a good movie reference. I agree though. There really aren't too many parts, and the important skills can be learned through practice and a little research through some great free online resources (Park Tools, Sheldon Brown, Bicycle Tutor, and others)

  50. #50
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    "Yeah, so's a toilet!"
    ...
    yeah, I've been to a rest stop - I guess some people should NOT werk on bikes
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •