mtbr member
    Oct 2008

is there a huge difference where the rear shock is Newb ?

i have a question hope its not a stupid question. what is the differnce where the sock is located. below there is a pick of my new MTBR. I guess my rear shock is going up and down. Now what if the shock would be just below the top tube were it reads SYSTEM i guess it would be left to right.

Does one have an advantage over the other?
    Is one set-up heavier then the other?
    which is more durable?
    which is one more efficient?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails is there a huge difference where the rear shock is Newb ?-system-2.0-bike.jpg  

is there a huge difference where the rear shock is Newb ?-system-2.0-bike2.jpg  

2008 Novara System 2.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't believe shock location has much to do with how the suspension acts, at least not taken in isolation (i.e. it's part of the suspension design, all must be taken into account). It looks like you have a nice bike there, take the reflectors off and ride the heck out of it.

David B.

AZ
    banned
    Agree with David , there is no discernable difference . Lose the wheel reflecters and go ride it . Enjoy .

Agreed with these guys..... if it's a properly designed system, either position is fine. One thing I'm guessing is that having a low vertically mounted fork, such as the OPs, might lend itself to lowering the center of gravity of the bike somewhat ??? Just a guess ....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The only real difference is were to mount the bottle cage. If its designed properly, it doesnt matter were the shock is. The bike designers take that into consideration when they make new designs.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well like my bike that will have more of lower center of gravity now is that a good ? I guess the way mine is set up I guess u can get more shock Tavel ?
    2008 Novara System 2.0

pants on head retarded
    Travel doesn't really have anything to do with it. Different positions allow different linkages and leverage ratios and rear wheel paths and this and that and the other.

Yes, there can be differences. No, most folks aren't really going to notice (at least those of us on the beginners forum). A lot more goes into a suspension design than which direction the shock points.

Members who have read this thread: 0