1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    59

    Is there a bike speed/distance computer that you can use if you're using a trainer?

    Hey everyone!
    Winter is going to be coming up pretty quickly and soon enough I am not going to be able to use my bike outside anymore. I plan on buying a bike trainer to use to keep myself moving etc. Now I know that you can get GPS systems and such that track you as your moving. Now I am wondering is there something out there that can help if I'm at a stand still but peddling?

    Any brands, feedback, advice would be great. Thanks everyone!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    224
    Most of them should work you just put the monitor on the back tire instead of the front.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    59
    Yeah I am not sure. The last time that I did anything with speed and distance was over 15 years ago. It consisted of a speedometer and pedalling really hard to get speed and mileage.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill83 View Post
    Hey everyone!
    Winter is going to be coming up pretty quickly and soon enough I am not going to be able to use my bike outside anymore. I plan on buying a bike trainer to use to keep myself moving etc. Now I know that you can get GPS systems and such that track you as your moving. Now I am wondering is there something out there that can help if I'm at a stand still but peddling?

    Any brands, feedback, advice would be great. Thanks everyone!
    I use the Garmin 705 with the cadence transmitter on the rear wheel. Works perfectly on the trainer. Obviously if not using the cadence transmitter, GPS alone would have me going no place at zero miles per hour while on the trainer. The cadence is also useful on trails where many times GPS signal dies (trees etc). It makes sure my mph is always tracked.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    I use the Garmin 705 with the cadence transmitter on the rear wheel. Works perfectly on the trainer. Obviously if not using the cadence transmitter, GPS alone would have me going no place at zero miles per hour while on the trainer. The cadence is also useful on trails where many times GPS signal dies (trees etc). It makes sure my mph is always tracked.
    Thanks!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    59
    I'm finding that it's discontinued. Do you know if there is something similar?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51
    I'd go the eBay route. I bought mine on eBay, 2 years ago, for $350. Go with a reputable seller and you should be fine. For me, the newer 800 does not have enough new functionality for me to spend $600 on it. Many people prefer the 705 as its tried and tested and the more stable of the garmin devices. Here's one that looks decent:

    Garmin 705 GPS Cycling Computer - Nice! | eBay

  8. #8
    k_z
    k_z is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill83 View Post
    I'm finding that it's discontinued. Do you know if there is something similar?
    Any (or most of them) Garmin Bike Computer (look at Edge series) will work with GSC-10 Speed&Cadence sensor. I am using it with Forerunner 405 which really is a running GPS watch, but works on a bike pretty well and accepts mentioned earlier cadence sensor.

  9. #9
    I hate that name.
    Reputation: blunderbuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,439
    If you don't want to spend a ton of money, a wired speed/cadence computer should run you around $50. Wired rear mount w/cadence is a bit of a pita vs the easyness of a standard front mounted computer, but obviously it has to be rear to work in the trainer. Or you could get rollers instead of a trainer.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

  10. #10
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,336
    Or a stop watch.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,267
    Cheap $20 computer from Walmart with the sensor at the rear wheel. Why rear? Because it's the only wheel moving on a trainer.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13
    You can also get free apps for your smartphone that will tell you distance, speed and other things to track.

  13. #13
    I hate that name.
    Reputation: blunderbuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,439
    Smartphone apps work off of gps tracking. OP is looking for something to use while on a trainer.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

  14. #14
    Nickel Havr
    Reputation: Eckstream1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Cheap $20 computer from Walmart with the sensor at the rear wheel. Why rear? Because it's the only wheel moving on a trainer.
    ^^^This would be the least expensive way...^^^

    I run a Garmin 800 with Speed, Cadence and HR... It's pretty handy on the trail too!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •