1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Thanks for the help! Finally bought a bike

After weeks of research and great advice from members on here I finally bought my 1st mountain bike, GT Avalanche 2.0, $350 used but in great shape. Bought the bike from a family who just upgraded there bikes and they were extremely helpful and shared there many bike adventures with my girlfiend and I. When I got home, I took it for a 20mi drive on trail and in the city yesterday and I have to say, I absolutely love it! Shifts nice, very easy to ride. For me, compared to what I used to have, riding this bike is almost effortless. I'm sure I will be upgrading some of the components soon enough, 1st being the seat as my rear end is killing me. Here's a few pics,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thanks for the help!  Finally bought a bike-p6300002-800x600-.jpg  

Thanks for the help!  Finally bought a bike-p6300003-800x600-.jpg  

Thanks for the help!  Finally bought a bike-p6300004-800x600-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice

Fat-tired Roadie
    Congratulations! Looks like it has a pretty nice build already. What fork is that?

Don't rush to swap out the saddle. New riders often take a couple weeks to get used to them. It's true that not every saddle would work for you but right now, probably none can; you may be quite content with this one a little later.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Re: Thanks for the help! Finally bought a bike

Looks like the saddle isn't lined up well - pointing left compared to the top tube when viewed from behind the bike. Probably not the source of your problem, but worth fixing.

Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cow Clicker
    ^Yes, and invest in a pair of well padded bibs. I like Canari Evolution bibs.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    AndrwSwitch, XCR SR Suntour adjustable, as far as the seat, I'll give it a few weeks and see how it feels.

albertdc, Yea, It was lined up while I was riding it, I was just doing some messing around before the pic.

wmac, I'm not self conscious but I'm not sure if I'm ready for spandex just yet

Cow Clicker
    Either your taint or your ego will suffer

You can buy padded off road shorts or put some shorts on over your spandex. Sometimes I'll wear Prana Mojo shorts over my bibs if I'm going somewhere that I'll be out of place without them.

Cow Clicker
    BTW, admit it, you are self conscious ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    BTW, admit it, you are self conscious ;-)
    lol!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congratulations. A buddy of mine also picked up a second hand GT Avalanche for about a quarter of the price I paid for a brand new bike. Nice bikes.

As for the saddle I persevered with mine but the pain never improved so I went to my local Specialized shop and had a seat 'fitting' that measures your sit bones and I needed a wider seat. I ended up with a 143mm Specialized Henge whereas the old seat was only 130mm wide and was putting all sorts of pressure on the soft tissue around my butt. If you are getting numbness down below you may need another seat. If it's just soreness it may just be a matter of getting used to it. Definitely get some padded cycling shorts. Just wear baggies over the top if you feel self conscious in lycra. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    QUOTE=flipperspeed;10502155]

wmac, I'm not self conscious but I'm not sure if I'm ready for spandex just yet[/QUOTE]

I use padded bike pant liners instead of underwear. They provide the padding of bike shorts but allow you to wear any pants you choose.
    Nashbar Liner Shorts - Normal Shipping Ground

Fat-tired Roadie
    My bib shorts allow me to wear any pants I choose too.

I just choose to be proud of my ass and the logos plastered to it. This year, that's a cloud services company, a lawyer who represents cyclists, and a car rack manufacturer. And the brand of the shorts, but I'd just as soon have that left off - they don't give us that good a deal.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Titanium junkie
    Congrats on the bike, enjoy yourself!
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    congrats!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So, I've put a little over 200mi on this bike and here are a few things I've realized,

1st-The saddle on this thing is horrible to the point where I started feeling numb downstairs so I just ordered a new seat. I'll post a review at a later date.

Amazon.com: Planet Bike 5020 Men's ARS Standard Anatomic Relief Saddle with Gel: Sports & Outdoors

2)I had to buy a speedometer. I think my girlfriend was starting to get annoyed after me asking her "how far have we gone, how fast are we going"? well you get the idea.

3.)Tires. The tires I have are great for off roading but as far as in the city or on the trails in my area, I need to get less knobby tires. I can't afford to have both a road and mountain bike so hopefully I can find some less friction tires. I will take some advice on tires as well.

To sum it up, yes I am sore, but it feels great! I love riding the trails, the same trails the snowmobiles use and they are paved. Just cruising through the woods and viewing nature is so relaxing. Not quite as relaxing as hunting but at least I get exercise this way. Raining today so I'll be taking a break but next time I go, the camera will be going with me!

mtbr member
    Congratulations on your 200 miles. Seems like you are having fun.

The good news is that the Amazon reviewers seem to generally love the saddle you ordered. The bad news is that many serious cyclists will steer you away from padded gel saddles. But I think you should use it and see how it works for you. If you end up hating it you can always send it back. Most gel saddles won't last thousands of miles so you might have to replace it once in a while if you ride a lot. But if you love the saddle then that should be worth it. If you decide padded isn't the way to go then maybe find an lbs that allows you try out different saddles

Bike computers (speedometers) come in three flavors. Basic wired, basic wireless and gps based. For the first type the wheel sensor is wired to the display unit. for the second type the sensor transmits data wirelessly to the display, and gps based computers don't need a sensor since they compute speed etc based on gps signal. The information these devices provide ranges from the most basic to the exotic -- as do the prices. If you have a smartphone then you can also use free bike apps such as strava to give you most of the gps based information (more than you'll likely ever need). The only issue is that unless you mount your phone on the bar the information won't visible to you during the ride.

You may want to stick with your current tires for a while. Better to waste some energy on the road with knobbys than to be efficient on the road but have no traction on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Thanks for the help! Finally bought a bike

If you are pretty serious about cycling, a separate bike for road and trail is recommended. You go the used route again and get a perfectly good bike for $200-$300. Another set of tires will be $50 and is very time consuming to swap out tires constantly. Depends on what you value your time and how much storage space you have. For $150 more and some CL hunting you could get a whole other bike.

Before you replace saddles, try adjusting your current one. You can adjust for and aft as well as tilt.

Skip the bike computer IMHO. If you have a smart phone strava application works great and uploads your rides online for tracking at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Congrats. The GT will certainly keep you happy. I've always liked to looks of GT's!

mtbr member
    If you want good on/off road tires, I'd recommend Kenda small block 8's! They hum a bit on road, but the tread pattern is less aggressive but has load of contact area for offroad. If you're in super wet offroad conditions, the SB8's are less impressive.