1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Thanks to all on this forum for help choosing bike and gear (VIDEO included)

want to thank all for the help.

Love the bike and the gear I bought from direct advice and reading other posts on this forum.

I bought a gopro the other day, this is the first time I have ever used one. I ordered it with the chest mount, it came with helmet mount, this video footage confirms my suspicion that the chest mount would be better I think, but i still like the video footage.

Audio drops are me editing out all cussing.

Untitled on Vimeo

(video will be available at around 12pm PST, my free video account is slow at converting).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Where are you riding in that vid? Looks pretty nice!

mtbr member
    I think the helmet mount would be OK if you just angle it up a little bit. You should contact who you bought it through anyway and let them know they sent the wrong kit. Try to teach your friend the "tuck 'n roll" too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Screw that....looks like a long way down if there's a mishap and you go off the trail :/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the tuck n roll eh?

my special move is the over the handle bars, thats all I can probably teach him in terms of falling.

looking at video of myself i dont think i can angle it any higher, wont see handlebars then, kinda pointless then?

anyways thats why I wanted chest mount, being tall makes helmet mount too high (and yah chest mount shipped free and arrives tues...)

Nickel Havr
    Cool looking trail! What's the name and where is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Haha yeah it's kinda instinctual. The trails looks awesome though. Congrats on all your new gear!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    gotta be honest i dont know name of trail

I just been riding around for 5 or 6 hours at a time getting lost and then finding my way

this is what i did, im sure someone will recognize from here

1) parked at bottom of wil rogers state park (pacific palisades? brentwood?)
    2) rode along sunset east until I got to amalfi drive, then went up capri drive
    3) rode up a trail there until I got to mullholland dirt road at top
    4) went west along mountain tops for maybe 7 miles west on fire roads? then i hit temesecal canyon down.
    5) right about where I think the top of temescal canyon is, there is a little single track with a sign called "backbone trail". if you watch video you can see the entrance right there

if anyone recognizes it and knows of a better way to get there please tell me.

Thats a pretty brutual ride, my cell phone reports 26 miles, with almost 3500 feet elevation gain. It was tough.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    oh yeah and it ends in wil rogers state park too

T.W.O.
    Nice vid, are you using 3 finger braking? try to use just one, you'd have 4 finger on the grip each side. Your XT brake has plenty of power to stop you with just one finger. I thought that trail look familiar, the chest mounted position is awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i think I use 2 fingers each hand most of time

ill try out 1, never thought about it

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    On your GoPro go to the settings and go to Upside Down, (UPd) mode. Install your GoPro upside down on your chest mount. This enables you to tilt the camera up more for a better angle. You will have to convert the video back to right side up in your editing software which is very easy to do.

This is a common practice for DH videos.
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rufus: I might be missing something - How do you tilt it higher? For that matter, how would you install it upside down?? Sounds like a great idea, but I can't picture it

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rufusdesign View Post
    On your GoPro go to the settings and go to Upside Down, (UPd) mode. Install your GoPro upside down on your chest mount. This enables you to tilt the camera up more for a better angle. You will have to convert the video back to right side up in your editing software which is very easy to do.

This is a common practice for DH videos.
    yah i saw that upside down setting

will try figure it out on the mount

what i would also like to try with another rider at same speed as me, is mounting chest mount on backpack facing backwards, with 2nd rider riding behind me....

might be cool if 2nd rider can stay relatively close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    awesome video man, thank you for sharing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    Rufus: I might be missing something - How do you tilt it higher? For that matter, how would you install it upside down?? Sounds like a great idea, but I can't picture it
    Turn the camera 180* and install as usual. It will point straight, and all the way up towards your face now.

RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    my special move is the over the handle bars, thats all I can probably teach him in terms of falling.
    LOL!

so true for new riders. did it myself first day out on the trail.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice video, great share

mtbr member
    Great looking trail. Beginners will be chitting bricks riding next to an edge that drops off like that (what is that, about 800ft down...)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well, updated video with chest mount

only problem is when I go over really rocky stuff, the bouncing becomes very bouncy.....

still much prefer it to the helmet cam though, and I am getting better at riding which is cool.

PS if you dont like queen don't watch or mute, the person who edited the original 30 min downhill for me queened the entire thing.

mammoth on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Rufus!!