1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Test riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

We the people ... Test riding

I went to my LBS and I was talking to them about test riding the giant trance 2. They said they allow to test ride the bike on the mountain, but they dont have a demo of the trance 2 so they're going to give me the trance x2. Is the geometry the same for all trance's? I understand its gonna be way different component wise, but i want to get a feel of the bike. Also as I was talking to the employee he said that lockout is not included with the giant trance 2. So i was wondering the trance 2 has 100mm of travel and is it really necessary to have lockout with only a limited amount of travel in the first place?

Ride the dream
    X2 is gonna be more trail oriented.

With longer travel suspension - 120 front, 127 (5") rear.

Any particular reason you want the Trance rather than Trance X?

I would think if you wanted a racey full sus from giant, the anthem would be a better choice - but for a trail xc bike, why take the trance over the trance x?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry i forgot to mention that part. My budget fits perfectly with the trance 2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    help?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I personally never feel its necessary to have lockout- it all depends on personal preference, the type of riding you do, and the way in which you ride (pedal mashers seem to seek lockout over smooth, even crank turners).

100mm (4 inches) is a pretty solid platform for aggressive XC/ light trail work. I think the TranceX should give you a solid idea as to whwther you like the feel of Giant's overall feel on the trail.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

don't move for trees
    lock out isn't a real big deal, only time I ever use it is on the road, and thats only occasional.
    As for the test ride, go for it, take it for a spin, you can still get a general idea and feel for how the trance will handle and feel
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I felt the same way. I understand that it's going to be necessary but I can deal without it. Im going to go on my test ride today. Im so excited!