1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Terms

OnTheTrailAgain

Terms

Could someone explain these terms for me?

Cross Cycling

Epic Ride

Adventure Ride

Cross Country

Hoosier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Could someone explain these terms for me?

Cross Cycling

Epic Ride

Adventure Ride

Cross Country

Cross Cycling-Cyclocross? Its a race with a mix of road and dirt, usually a short track and has obstacles here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclocross

Epic Ride-Can really be anything you would consider out of the normal. For some people its hundreds of miles and others its just a few hours.

Adventure Ride-The way I've seen this used most frequently would be for very very long rides in very very remote places.

Cross Country-A style of riding/racing that usually focuses more on endurance, has few jumps, and is ridden on bikes with less suspension. These are usually what local races are. Another link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_cycling
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Thanks K!

This helps me as I think about what type of trail riding I like.

I'm going to look into distance riding in nature areas (all day rides) like me taking my bike upstate on the Metro and riding back. I'll try 40 miles my first time then build up as I go.