1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tell me about Bottom Brackets

I'm a newbie wondering about bottom brackets; how/if they need maintenance, or do you just replace them when they go bad? How much life is typical? How do you know when they are going? How about adjustments? Just a quick overview for the new guy would be awesome for anyone that cares to share. Or even just a link or reference to where I can get some info. Haven't found much.

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most newer bikes have sealed bearing ,no adjustments . You can tell when they are bad by the way it feels when pedaling /or the noise they make. How long they last depends how /where/when you ride.Have you looked at the Park tool web site or Sheldon Brown site ?
    Last edited by rangeriderdave; 07-27-2012 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Park tool does have some good info. Thanks for the tip. Anything else guys?

mtbr member
    When it's time to replace, get something a little nicer that can be serviced. Personally I like external cups but that will likely require a new crankset as well, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Picture Unrelated
    Bottom brackets should occasionally checked to make sure they're in there tight. Usually once a season I'll pull mine out and make sure it has grease on it. And if your bike is making noise, there is almost always something that needs attention. One exception is sometimes brake and shifter housing rub and make noise; not much you can do except try to pad where they rub.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

No good in rock gardens..
    I've tried a few sorts over the years. Pressed in bearings and square taper on my Klein. Square taper cartridge units circa mid '90's. ISIS drive with sealed bearings. External bearings.

The constant thing is that they will ALL start to creak after a while, esp. if you are riding in wet conditions or use a high pressure washer.

A common source of creaks is that the BB has been installed with no grease on the threads of the cups. Or crank spindle bolts that aren't tight enough.

When they really crap out they creak like mad and you can detect loose and worn bearings because the cranks can be "rattled" slightly.

Regular servicing and cleaning and lubing can make them last longer, and making sure your bottom bracket shell isn't full of water.

I serviced a mate's ISIS drive BB the other day and a half a cup of water gushed out of the shell when I pulled the BB out.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....