1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc Brakes

hey there. Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc Brakes
    found these brakes for sale,used,for $50 for front +rear set wiht levers. used for few months, is it worth to get.

mtbr member
    What do you have now? These are pretty much the lowest disc brakes, so it would be hard to consider them an upgrade. There is so much better brakes out there.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    my current set up is stock v-brakes on 2010 Specialized Hardrock. was thinking to upgrade on the budget...thanx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does your wheels have rotor mounts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For around $80 you can get a full set of new BB7s on Ebay, plus $20 for levers. Plus cables of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Does your wheels have rotor mounts?
    That is the big question right there. If your wheels don't have mounts for rotors, which I don't think they do, then you'll have to get a new set of wheels as well. Thats $50 for the brakes and you won't find a wheelset for under $100 so you'd probably spend at least $150 to upgrade your brakes and like another poster said, its would a lower end upgrade.

mtbr member
    i will definitely need new wheels, but for 50 everything is there: 2 rotors, 2 calipers and 2 levers with cables. so, is it worthy, price wise? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etboost View Post
    i will definitely need new wheels, but for 50 everything is there: 2 rotors, 2 calipers and 2 levers with cables. so, is it worthy, price wise? thanks
    Honestly, no. I would never buy those brakes. If someone gave them to me I would give them a shot.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    Stay away from everything mechanical but Avid BB's, they are all crap.

mtbr member
    bad brakes, really. ok thanks for advices..

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    They aren't bad brakes... They do what all brakes are supposed to do... stop the bike.
    Everyone has their choices/preferences/opinions and most will just go with the flow... So one person says OMG XXX brake is the bees knees... then everyone else jumps on the band wagon...
    If you want to purchase it try it out. I wouldn't go on crazy mountain drops and expect anything but the brakes to slow me down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    At that price, not worth it. You can get a used set of tektros from any local mountain bike forum for under $20. I can say this because I've used tektro novelas. They do work, but they just aren't as good as some of the other manufacturers (Avid, Hayes, Shimano).

Realistically, unless your frame & fork already have the disc brake mounts and your wheels have disc brake hubs, not worth it. V-brakes are fine until you want to upgrade the bike. Once you look around, you'll notice that selling your current bike and buying a new bike with disc brakes will probably cost less than trying to upgrade your wheelset and buying disc brakes.

mtbr member
    No crazy mountain jumps and slopes for me in the future,just trail riding....

so,im still dont understand why these brakes not good. brake pads material,rotors overheat, not enough clamping power? Brakes work on friction, so installing better pads should improve braking. What is the main weakness??

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...scp=ce1&_rdc=1

Completed listings show some of those sets are selling for under $80 at auction with shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

o<o NYC pebble jumper!

so,im still dont understand why these brakes not good. brake pads material,rotors overheat, not enough clamping power? Brakes work on friction, so installing better pads should improve braking. What is the main weakness??
    how old is thebike and have you thought about changing brake cable. also check to see if the bike shop secured the pads using a cotter pin. maybe your spring is not providing enough tension and the pad is moving. worth a shot to check.

mtbr member

Hydraulic brakes gives you much more control and braking power than mechanicals. Much easier to finesse hydraulics around turns and wherever else you'll need to just slow down. Mechanicals are very much like V-brakes with a disc.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Hydraulic brakes gives you much more control and braking power than mechanicals. Much easier to finesse hydraulics around turns and wherever else you'll need to just slow down. Mechanicals are very much like V-brakes with a disc.
    Only if you do not know how to setup a BB7 properly
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    in another thread pple convinced me to get deore xt brakes, they're definitely good but pricey and for all hydro brakes unless the lines fit perfectly you have to cut then bleed them which is something I should have known better to do when I got them, thinking I could get away without bleeding. (250$ OBO tax+ shipping then add bleed service 290$ total just for decent brakes....)

I like them alot, only problem they look slightly out of place on a bike with an entry level suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrezo View Post
    in another thread pple convinced me to get deore xt brakes, they're definitely good but pricey and for all hydro brakes unless the lines fit perfectly you have to cut then bleed them which is something I should have known better to do when I got them, thinking I could get away without bleeding. (250$ OBO tax+ shipping then add bleed service 290$ total just for decent brakes....)

I like them alot, only problem they look slightly out of place on a bike with an entry level suspension.
    You definitely don't have to go with an XT or XTR or even SLX level when it comes to brakes. My bike is basically outfitted with mainly XT parts but when it came time to replace my brakes, I went with the Deore M595 which I picked up for $120 a set brand new and they work great. Just as good as my XTs that I had on there and to tell you the truth, I can barely tell the difference when it came to power and control.

Bleeding the brakes sounds complicated, buts it pretty simple. After your first time, it becomes even easier. It can get messy but it usually takes about a couple of minutes to bleed a brake system if you have a $20 bleed kit and whatever oil your brakes use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My bike came with the Novella brakes. As people have said they do work but its pretty much the lowest disk brake option available. I do still prefer the Tektro disk brakes over a V-brake setup though. Like any disk brake they don't lose their braking power if they get wet or muddy (unlike V-brakes) and they have plenty of power for XC riding.

I did upgrade to the Avid BB7 brakes and they are MUCH better.

You already said you need new wheels but the major question is does your frame have the correct caliper mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by redrezo View Post

You spent $290 to have your brakes bled?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    You definitely don't have to go with an XT or XTR or even SLX level when it comes to brakes. My bike is basically outfitted with mainly XT parts but when it came time to replace my brakes, I went with the Deore M595 which I picked up for $120 a set brand new and they work great. Just as good as my XTs that I had on there and to tell you the truth, I can barely tell the difference when it came to power and control.

Bleeding the brakes sounds complicated, buts it pretty simple. After your first time, it becomes even easier. It can get messy but it usually takes about a couple of minutes to bleed a brake system if you have a $20 bleed kit and whatever oil your brakes use.
    I'm not dumb mechanically I've bled brakes on my car and can do it on a bicycle easily if I wanted to.

The problem boils down to the tools I just didn't feel like waiting for a week for bleed kit + enough mineral oil to arrive which actually cost more than just getting the service done and within 1-2 days. It would have been cheaper to get it done at performance bike for 20$ and but I got ripped off for my troubles when I went elsewhere. Another problem with some of these bleed kits is sometimes you have to go hunting for part's that they don't include (syringe, bag, tubing to fit over the nipple etc...).

The big problem was I risked it and thought I could get away with cutting the lines and not having to bleed the brakes and buy the extra bleed kit and enough mineral oil to make it even worth it 20$ bleed kit + 24$ 2L Shimano mineral oil = 44$.

which would round out to 164$ if I bought hte deore brakes, I bought the xt at 113$ but sadly have to pay tax and shipping so that's like 240$ + 35$ for bleed service (+4 for extra olives screwing up cutting the rear brakes..). total 164 - 280 = the difference between the two xt and deore money wise would be more like 116$ which isn't that big of a deal to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mechanical Disc is still quite the upgrade over a Vbrake setup. But be careful not to get caught up in "It's the complete setup". I could give you a set of Deore XT Hydros for free and they would do you absolutely no good unless you have the frame/fork mounts to accept disc brakes. And even if you do? I'd be shocked if your bike had wheels that were also disc ready. Meaning your $50 ready to go disc brake package will now cost you $150, because my cost on a cheap pair of basic off the shelf doublewall disc ready wheels is $90. Retail is probably closer to $150. So now you're up to $200... And that's if you can do all of the labor yourself. If you can't? Add another $50 at least...
    Last edited by Blackhawks01; 10-19-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: I didn't see the post earlier, but Shakester beat me to it.
    Bike Doctor

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Stay away from everything mechanical but Avid BB's, they are all crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Honestly, no. I would never buy those brakes. If someone gave them to me I would give them a shot.
    Good advice is quoted above. The only mechanical disc brakes that are worth purchasing are Avid.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Picture Unrelated

The leverage is poor, the caliper is not stiff enough, I wonder if the pad design is poor... they just don't work well when compared to other brakes. I would take even mid range V-brakes with good pads any day over a low end disc brake. And yes, I do have a V-brake bike, thank you for asking.

Edit: I forgot, they're also hard to adjust and keep adjusted. Not as refined as other offerings, not that it could be expected that they were.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast