1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Straight outta Woodland

Tektro IO brakes

I just bought a used Schwinn Rocket with Tektro IO disc brakes. I'm pretty sure it was left outside for some time before I bought it and all maintenance was neglected. So I've been giving the bike some love to get it back into shape. However I can't seem to get the rear brakes to perform properly. I'm pretty sure I've adjusted them properly (thanks to threads I found here) but it seems like I'm not getting enough pressure out of the caliper. Is this because the cable is old and could be stretching a little? Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Could be bad cable, could be bad pads. May just not be broken in yet, bought a revel 29er with bb5 brakes for my first bike and the brakes just didn't have the pressure needed to lock up the wheels, Switched to organic pads and it helped but still not as strong as I liked. Does the lever have lots of travel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Are you able to dismantle the system?

Straight outta Woodland

Tektro IO brakes

I am, and I did. I made sure the pads were in good shape and everything was free of contaminants. I disassembled it, cleaned it, and reinstalled it and adjusted it according to the tektro manual I found on this site. No change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Cobra View Post
    I just bought a used Schwinn Rocket with Tektro IO disc brakes. I'm pretty sure it was left outside for some time before I bought it and all maintenance was neglected. So I've been giving the bike some love to get it back into shape. However I can't seem to get the rear brakes to perform properly. I'm pretty sure I've adjusted them properly (thanks to threads I found here) but it seems like I'm not getting enough pressure out of the caliper. Is this because the cable is old and could be stretching a little? Any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like a bad cable to me...

mtbr member
    For what its worth... The IO is a pretty dang cheap braking system. Even when set up properly they dont provide much power or modulation. I would start looking at bb7s or some Hydros.

Tektro IO brakes

Cheap discs aren't any better than decent vees. Some are worse. The IO are not worth too much effort. Regardless, new cables and housings will make any old bike work better. I would do that. If you are still dissatisfied with them, better but not too expensive options are available

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    also have to remember that the rear wheel only has about 30% of the total braking compared to the front wheel. Add the fact that IOs aren't all that great to begin with. If you weigh more than 170, you'll have a hard time locking up the rear tire unless you're on a loose surface. I'm in at 230 lbs, and I cannot lock my novellas unless I'm on loose dirt. The bike with bb7s lock up just fine.

Something you might try before swapping out the cables, and even after swapping the cables, is going down a long hill with constant force on the brakes. Get them nice and hot and "break" them in again. If you have the stuff, lightly sand them with some 400 or higher grit sandpaper in an outward motion and wipe them down with cloth/carb cleaner before re-"breaking" them in. They'll never be great, but simply cleaning them and re-sufacing the pads/rotors should help quite a bit.