1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

# of teeth on a chain ring

The specs for my 1999 specialized Hardrock A1 comp FS says that they chain rings are

22-32-42 and it is an 8 speed set up

The crankset and BB that I am looking to purchase has 22-32-44 and says that it is 9 speed

Is it ok to interchange this? The chainline numbers match.

Thanks

Also thanks for all the other advice everyone has already given me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you should be fine, the only difference should be that youll have a little more top end with the 44t (go faster when you put it in top gear, yet slightly tougher to pedal)...if it was a 7 speed than the chain would be thicker, but since you have a 8 speed the chain (and crankset) will be the same width as the 9 speed. So if you want to switch to 9 speed down the road, you just have to get new shifters/cassette...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiner
    you should be fine, the only difference should be that youll have a little more top end with the 44t (go faster when you put it in top gear, yet slightly tougher to pedal)...if it was a 7 speed than the chain would be thicker, but since you have a 8 speed the chain (and crankset) will be the same width as the 9 speed. So if you want to switch to 9 speed down the road, you just have to get new shifters/cassette...
    Actually 6/7/8 speed chains are the same width. It's 9 speed chains that are narrower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Stop!!!!

before you buy that crank set double check your front derailleur design!!! Up till about 2003 the Rockhopper FS bikes used an E-type deraillure system, i.e. the front derailleur was held on by a bracket that clamped between the outside drive side flange of the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket shell. 03 and later models used a normal clamp on derailleur that clamp on to the seat tube above the bb shell. I don't recall if the 99 Hopper used an Etype of not, but if your bike does indeed use the Etype the 44T crank set WILL NOT WORK!!! This is due to the Etype derailleurs fixed mounting height, it will not have enough lift to push the chain up to the 44T chain ring. A 44T ring has a larger diameter than a 42T. So double check before you pull the trigger!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    before you buy that crank set double check your front derailleur design!!! Up till about 2003 the Rockhopper FS bikes used an E-type deraillure system, i.e. the front derailleur was held on by a bracket that clamped between the outside drive side flange of the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket shell. 03 and later models used a normal clamp on derailleur that clamp on to the seat tube above the bb shell. I don't recall if the 99 Hopper used an Etype of not, but if your bike does indeed use the Etype the 44T crank set WILL NOT WORK!!! This is due to the Etype derailleurs fixed mounting height, it will not have enough lift to push the chain up to the 44T chain ring. A 44T ring has a larger diameter than a 42T. So double check before you pull the trigger!

Good Dirt
    Here is what the specs say for the front deraillure
    Shimano Alivio top-swing, clamp-on 35.0mm

Im not at home but from what I remember it is clamped around the main post below the seat right above the BB. So it should work right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If it's a clamp on...

you should be good. You'll likely have to move the clamp up a few mm to accomodate the larger diameter of the 44t ring though. Not a big deal. I was warning you just in case. I know that Specialized flip flopped between the etype and clamp on derailleurs in that time frame. The way manufacturers change specs it's hard to remember when they stop and start using specific components. Anyway with a clamp on your good.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    the spacing is a little narrower on 9 speed cranks, but don't use a nine speed chain on an 8 speed cassette, your shifting will not be as precise. This would be the time to upgrade to nine speed shifters, crank, cassette and chain. front and rear derailers are compatible, don't let them fool you.