Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Taking off my stock fork and need some help

661 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tibug 
#1 ·
can anyone send me a good link the shows you how to take off a front fork the right way (one with pics would be good!) either that or explain how, but I think a link will do. btw I'm replacing the RST gilla t6 on my 2006 hardrock for a 2007 rockshox tora 302.

#2 ·
If this is your first time, take it down to a local bike shop, pay the $20 and have them do it. If they'll let you watch, cool. They will have the proper tools (crown race setter, steerer cutting guide, and star nut setter) to do the job right. It can be done w/o these tools, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've never seen one done.

:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Well, ya see, all ya gotta do is take a hacksaw, cut right b'tween da fork crown an' da crown race, and cut right 'bove da top headset cup, da fork should now be sep'rated from da headtube and ya shoud be able ta ramove da steerer tube, or it should fall right out, and da remains of da headset will now be able ta be ramoved and you're done.

JK of course, but that would work...

Removing the fork is the easy part. Installing a new one is the hard part. Looks like I hit jackpot though with this site...

http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing.jsp;jsessionid=60A5040345AA6F265CAAE53CEA34ED57.tc4?item_id=455

Pics and everything.

You can remove the fork yourself, but installing the new one should be done by a qualified bicycle mechanic, as you don't want to mess anything up.

BTW, nice fork, I just bought the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.