1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Taking my old Jekyll to a real Mountain

I've got a 2001 Jekyll 2000 with the CAAD swing arm, it's be upgraded with a lefty "probably the original lefty", I refreshed the rear shock and x9 \ x0 components.

Blue Mountain in PA is opening up next month and I am thinking of going. How will my bike hold up? Is it gonna fold in half or should I be ok? I don't ride too hard yet but if I take a decent drop 3+ft is it gonna survive?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Sause01 View Post
    I've got a 2001 Jekyll 2000 with the CAAD swing arm, it's be upgraded with a lefty "probably the original lefty", I refreshed the rear shock and x9 \ x0 components.

Blue Mountain in PA is opening up next month and I am thinking of going. How will my bike hold up? Is it gonna fold in half or should I be ok? I don't ride too hard yet but if I take a decent drop 3+ft is it gonna survive?
    No one will be able to answer this for you. We don't have a clue how you ride (smooth, hard...) what trails will be like, what trails you will choose, or how much experience you have. Even if we did, we would only be guessing.

Your bike will probably be fine, but I wouldn't get too out of control. Start on the green trails (assuming they label trails like everyone else) and stay away from the black trails unless you have a really high level of knowledge about what is going on with those trails.

A 3' drop can be a bike destroyer or an easy slide down the hill, it all depends on the takeoff, landing, and most importantly: you. 3' to flat, forget it; 3' floater to a dialed transition, well that would probably be ok.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fair enough. Thanks